Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sushi

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello.

I have been invited out for sushi. As it is something I have never tried (and i have only just started eating *cookd* fish) I am a little nervous.

I really want to go, and I like trying new things but If i dont like it then its not as if they serve anything but sushi so i'll then have to be hungry while waiting for friends to eat, and then pay for food i didnt like or eat :(

What's it like? Can it be compared to anything else?

slimy?

strong?

pungent?

Comments

• Options
    it's a myth that sushi is raw fish, i've been told it is actually japanese for sticky rice. Usually they do veggie stuff which is rice and vegetable variations. if u are unsure it may be worth having a look in boots, tesco asda who all do versions of it in their sandwich sections, though i am not sure how much like sushi bar stuff it is.
  • Options
    Luck guy. Cause i have never been invited for sushi in my life :(
    Buddy it is one of the most delicious thing that you gonna taste in your life.
  • Options
    Guti wrote: »
    Luck guy. Cause i have never been invited for sushi in my life :(
    Buddy it is one of the most delicious thing that you gonna taste in your life.

How do you know that if you've never had it?
  • Options
    Depends where you're going for Sushi, the standard varies a lot.

A good way to introduce yourself to it, would be to experiment with M&S sushi (the best High St sushi in my opinion) try stuff, see what you like and what you dont like.

The sushi in restaurants can be a lot different though. Remember its very good for you :thumb:
  • Options
    Its "go sushi" :thumb:

Gonna go along, as apparently they do not fish stuff anyway so if i hate it i wont be left hungry :)

Hope i like it!

Oo i love food, and trying food!
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    Its "go sushi" :thumb:
    !
    Never heard of it, unless you mean Yo Sushi ?
  • Options
    Im not a fan of fish so I tried some vegetable sushi and even though I tried to like it, I found it was the taste of the cold rice I didn't like! it was a bit slimy :/ good luck though!
  • Options
    sashimi is raw fish- lush; sushi is rice and seaweed- grim.
  • Options
    I went with my friends a year or so ago t a sushi bar and i wasnt sure at first but we ordered a range of different things: prawns, eels, whatever etc etc, and i seem to remember i only liked the prawns and salmon ones - things i liked anyway.

For the main though i had a curry and that was goorrgeous. Its worth trying though, just to say that you have :)
  • Options
    Yo! Sushi is gorgeous, just not that filling for the price! I find its okay quality, but others have quite bad experiences with them. Never had a problem with the one in my city. Been into the one in Reading, it's alright. I've been to Itsu when I was in London too which is crap. Don't ever go. We went to some other Sushi place I think in Soho one night before we went out, which was nice.

Yo! do more than fish stuff too. Their Chicken Teriyaki is :yum: so are their soups/broths.

As a side note if you ever want to try something different, you HAVE to go to Tampopo. Me and my friend went to the Reading one the day it opened. It's SO nice!
  • Options
    Thanks to this thread, I tried some sushi today. It's well, different. Nice though. :)
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Never heard of it, unless you mean Yo Sushi ?

i indeed meant yo sushi!
  • Options
    Sushi is really one of my favorite food, even though they are raw, sushi really taste good and so yummy and depending of what kind of sushi. it is depends on the sushi style and wrappings. One of my favorite kind of sushi is Tamago sushi (sweet egg) -t is a pice of rice with a sweet egg omelette on top. Seriously they usually taste more or less the same since it is made from egg and sugar. Nonetheless, this tamago sushi is one of the best way of using an egg and turn it into a delicacy. Try tamago sushi, I hope you will like it..
This discussion has been closed.