Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pregnant while on the pill???!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi - i didn't know whether to post this on the health or sex forum - so i just put it here. But my question is, if your on the pill and by chance you become pregnant - when you next have the 7 day break would you have a period or would you not??? Now i've written that question it seems really dumb - but its quite confusing!

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but don't feel stupid for not knowing. I'm on the pill as well, and my withdrawal bleed was about a week late, and I had a major panic attack about it! Basically, if you're worried, get a pregnancy test, it's the only way to put your mind at ease!:)
  • Options
    i had a long discussion with my doctor about this recently.

you can not have a period if you are pregnant.
  • Options
    ok cool - thanx for replying! so i guess if my period comes when it should everything is ok - but i still might get a pregnancy test done just to reassure myself!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lizzafins
    i had a long discussion with my doctor about this recently.

you can not have a period if you are pregnant.

yes you can, ive heard of loads of people whove bled through pregnancy although it wouldnt be a true period it could be mistaken for one
  • Options
    i said you cant have a period if you are pregnant. some women may experience abnormal (heavier than their period, off-schedule, longer-lasting, spotting, etc) bleeding, but this is not considered the period.
  • Options
    Give Brook a call, they can advise you best to your situation:

Brook Advisory Centres
    Advice, counselling and medical help around contraception, pregnancy, abortion and sexual health.
    Telephone: 0800 0185023

Susie

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lizzafins
    i said you cant have a period if you are pregnant. some women may experience abnormal (heavier than their period, off-schedule, longer-lasting, spotting, etc) bleeding, but this is not considered the period.

but it could be easily mistaken for a period. all a period is is blood from the womb lining - the same as bleeding in pregnancy, its the same stuff, and you even hear of people who didnt know they were pregnant at all due to still having monthly bleeds all the way through! bleeding in pregnancy is actually very common, although should always be checked out by a doctor as can signal the start of miscarriage. another point, she said she was on the pill, so shes highly unlikely to be pregnant if the pill was taken correctly, but the bleed in between packets is not actually a true period either.