Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self teaching languages

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When I was at school, I quite enjoyed Spanish. The only way to have carried on learning through GCSE was to take French as well. I didn't want to take French too; so couldn't take Spanish.

I've looked online to see if there are any classes in my area - the only ones are "tasters" - I don't just want a taster - I want to actually be able to learn the language so that hopefully, I can go travelling when older. I do know a few words; but not enough to have a conversation with someone.

Has anyone managed to successfully self teach themselves a language? I think I may be able to get a bit of help from friends with this, too.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I've somewhat self taught basic Russian and (even more basic) German, I've only tried German for a little while. But I want to take classes too but they only really do French and Spanish locally. Russian especially is difficult to self teach. It confuses me way too much when you get more advanced. If you find the right software I don't see why you couldn't teach yourself.
  • Options
    the michel thomas language courses are quite good for starting you off. Some people download them, although its illegal and i wouldnt recommend it. You can buy them online too. Theres also various books. I have the french version of this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Spanish-Practice-Book-Hands-/dp/1593374348/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305478615&sr=8-2 and found it quite good.
    I also have the french version of this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Complete-Revision-Practice-Audio/dp/1841463884/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305478669&sr=1-2 which i found even better, but its worth going to the library and getting a few out, before buying, because you might like the styles in other ones better.
  • Options
    If you can afford it, Rosetta Stone is meant to be brilliant.

Michel Thomas is also good I used it to learn Italian. Depends on what you intend to use it for.
  • Options
    im surprised you cant find spanish courses locally. Do you live in the sticks?
  • Options
    Pretty much yes. :(

Well, they do the basics - but it's not what you can really use for having conversations when out and about.

Thanks guys. I did look at Rosetta Stone; but it is expensive.
  • Options
    Yeah, although someone pointed out to me that £329 for up to level 5 (which looks to me like A Level stuff, a sales person let me play in an airport once) is only about 11 lessons in real life.

You can get samplers of the Michel Thomas course for free on Audible but I'm not sure what their sign up deal is these days, it might be a paid-for service. I don't have a subscription any more.
  • Options
    there are a lot of sources online for free you can look at too
  • Options
    Even if you start learning by yourself, I think you'll need classes eventually. There is a difference between translating something in your head, and *thinking* in the language. I'm not really familiar with these resources and so I'm not sure how good they are, but I would have thought conversation is one of the only ways to achieve this....
  • Options
    Even if you start learning by yourself, I think you'll need classes eventually. There is a difference between translating something in your head, and *thinking* in the language. I'm not really familiar with these resources and so I'm not sure how good they are, but I would have thought conversation is one of the only ways to achieve this....

:yes:
  • Options
    I've used the Michel Thomas for German and it's good. The CD states you shouldn't write stuff down, you learn the grammar through the CD and then learn how to add vocab to the basic grammar. I have enjoyed it when I've used it, although my main issue is that I'm not organised or dedicated enough to do it properly. It has given me enough grounding to be understood in supermarkets and restaurants, but that's about it. Michel Thomas isn't that expensive either.
  • Options
    I'm doing Rosetta Stone right now. (just started lesson 3 of unit one on level one so I can't really give much of a review yet :p) Up in the air about it though. They never tell you what the translated word is, they just throw new words at you and I guess you are just supposed to get it. Plus the damn thing never understands me and I usually end the pronounciation sessions with me yelling at the computer and throwing the microphone down.

Also supplementing it with television stations in the language. I can't understand anything they are saying but I suppose it is like a faux immersion :p
  • Options
    what language are you doing Manda?
  • Options
    without envirnment u cant learn the language even if u learn from famous institute u gonna forget soon because u will not have the environment u will not get the person to talk.........
  • Options
    I think the best thing you can do is to find someone learning the same language and do it together. The most fluent non-native English speakers I know are two sisters who learned by simply agreeing to always speak to each other in English while they were learning. Obviously, it helps to have teachers to help point out your mistakes, but simply having someone to practice with is going to make a massive difference. I think you should do this whether you take classes or not. But there's this kind of myth that you need to be speaking to a Spanish person to practice your Spanish, or a French person to practice your French. But you'll get a lot from speaking to fellow learners too.
  • Options
    With the Michael Thomas one, do you have to buy each level separately?

I have got a cheap one. It has 31 languages and you can do it through voice - this means not having to find someone to help me.
  • Options
  • Options
    sod it, just speak english slowly and amplified.
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    What you need first of all is a very comprehensive grammar book and some conjugations of common verbs and spend some (a lot of) time in their company. Then you can build on the foundations, by learning mountains of vocab and trying to pick out idiomatic expressions from books (start off with things like Harry Potter, or ones you've already read, so you can follow things a bit). My teachers always say little and often, but I don't like having only half an hour to do stuff in- either I take a full hour and do a lot, or I mess around for twenty minutes and rush the last ten. Well, but maybe you're more disciplined than me.
    What I don't advise you to do is try the A level syllabus. Ruinous thing!
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey lena_mal_gardée,
    Thanks for posting your advice about this, however the thread is quite old now and Melian will probably have got the information she needed by now :) You can tell how old a thread is by looking at the date of the last post - this one was back in May. If you'd like to chat more about languages and teaching yourself, then please do start a new thread. I'm going to close this one for now.
    Thanks,
    Laura
This discussion has been closed.