Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

bulimia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey guys

im just wondering if any of you have gone through bulimia an have recovered with success. I have been bulimic for 1 year and a half now and I am tired of dealing with it. I want to stop but its so hard

Comments

• Options
    Hi

There is loads of info on TheSite about dealing with eating disorders and b-eat (the Eating Disorders Association - UK based but online) are also really good but general consensus is that you need support from professionals to beat this thing.

You do need to tell your doctor, as much as it sucks to do that, so that they can refer you to someone who can help. I don't know what you can get over there but Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is generally considered effective at changing damaging behaviours (which is what bulimia is).
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    piccolo wrote: »
    There is loads of info on TheSite about dealing with eating disorders and b-eat (the Eating Disorders Association - UK based but online) are also really good but general consensus is that you need support from professionals to beat this thing.

:yes: I totally agree with Piccolo, it might be best to speak to a professional about this, have you spoken to anyone about it before whether this be a doctor or a friend?

As Piccolo also said we have a section on TheSite about bulimia which you might find useful.

It sounds as though you are ready to get help with this but if you don't feel ready to talk to your doctor or someone you know then Beat have a helpline. I am not sure how old you are so here are the numbers for both over 18s and under 18s:
    Helpline (over 18s): 0845 6341 414
    Helpline (under 18s): 0845 6347 650
    or you can email them: help@b-eat.co.uk

Please keep posting,
    LauraO
  • Options
    I have a 10 year history of bulimia and as yet have failed to recover.
    However I am trying not to give up hope.

Do you have any support network around you? such as an understanding GP
    or counsellor/psychologist?

If not please make an appointment to see your GP. They wont judge you and
    they will be able to arrange some help and support for you.

Often the NHS can arrange for you to have counselling or psychological therapy
    such as CBT. They may also assess you usually through your local mental health team
    for any other issues such as anxiety and depression.

Have you tried any methods of distraction when you get the urge to binge and purge?
    These can be quite successful for many sufferers and can simple things like going for a walk, listening to music, having a bath, writing thoughts and feelings down or even just phoning a friend.

It can be really hard to understand our own triggers for why we binge and purge but being able to identify them is a positive step forward.
    Often things like work, studying, relationship problems, low self esteem can be triggers.

I know it is a long battle but many people do recover and I hope you are one of them.
    Taking the 1st step towards help is the hardest but you have already make a positive step forward by admitting that you know you have a problem.

Love and ((hugs))
  • Options
    ladyblues wrote: »
    I have a 10 year history of bulimia and as yet have failed to recover.
    However I am trying not to give up hope.

Do you have any support network around you? such as an understanding GP
    or counsellor/psychologist?

If not please make an appointment to see your GP. They wont judge you and
    they will be able to arrange some help and support for you.

Often the NHS can arrange for you to have counselling or psychological therapy
    such as CBT. They may also assess you usually through your local mental health team
    for any other issues such as anxiety and depression.

Have you tried any methods of distraction when you get the urge to binge and purge?
    These can be quite successful for many sufferers and can simple things like going for a walk, listening to music, having a bath, writing thoughts and feelings down or even just phoning a friend.

It can be really hard to understand our own triggers for why we binge and purge but being able to identify them is a positive step forward.
    Often things like work, studying, relationship problems, low self esteem can be triggers.

I know it is a long battle but many people do recover and I hope you are one of them.
    Taking the 1st step towards help is the hardest but you have already make a positive step forward by admitting that you know you have a problem.

Love and ((hugs))

how did your bulimia start and what makes it so hard for you to recover?
  • Options
    My bulimia started when I was 15 years and 3mths old.
    I had previously starved myself for a short time due to low self esteem issues.
    When people started to notice I began to reluctantly eat but would then induce
    vomiting after wards.

I was officially diagnosed with bulmia at 16 after also being diagnosed with
    other mental health problems.

I dont know why I have failed to recover. Its not because I havent tried.
    Or because I havent wanted to. The urge to binge and purge is so strong and
    it always beats me.

I suffer from alot of other emotional and physically health problems which my
    mental health team feel need stabilised before the bulimia can be managed.

I self harm alot and bulimia can go hand in hand with this also.

Bulimia is much deeper than a person just binging and purging.