Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Coming off Clozapine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have thought this over and over and am really considering coming off clozapine (Anti-Psychotic) which is one of my main drugs I take twice-daily.
I feel it is suppressing my real thoughts to try to trick me and distract me of what is really going on. My doctor wants me to stay on it but as i've said i don't feel as if my thoughts are my own and i disagree with him.
Does anyone have advice?

BB x

Comments

• Options
    what sort of thoughts do you feel it is supressing? good ones? like... thoughts that make you happy, or thoughts that would make you paranoid?
  • Options
    thoughts that warn me of what is really going on around me...warning thoughts. it's like my gaurd is down when im on this drug..?
  • Options
    You can't be forced to stay on any medication - especially if it's giving you unwanted side effects.
  • Options
    I know how you feel. I'm not on Clozapine, but a different AP, but I feel like they are dumbing me down so I won't be bothered by the things that I need to watch out for. I'm just, taking them and waiting for them to say I can be discharged and then I don't know if I will take them anymore.
    It's difficult though I know,when everyone says oh you must, you need them... but you aren't so sure... Sorry i can't give you answer, just wanted to share.
  • Options
    Hey brunettebarbie :wave:

Ultimately it is your decision, anti-psychotic's are there do to exactly what they say on the tin so to speak and help you to lead a more stable life. If however you feel that they are affecting you functioning in a 'normal' way then maybe talk it over with your doctor and ask if there are any alternatives?

dp :heart:
  • Options
    it's like i don't feel that it changes anything, being on them. it's not me and i know its silly to say it- it's whats going on with the obsession these people have with me. it's a little complex to go through but this has gone on for a very long time so how can a pill change that?
  • Options
    Well, if you feel like it's causing problems then you should definitely talk about changing to something different. However, I wouldn't jump to go off of meds altogether just yet if the doctor genuinely thinks you should be on something. They really are looking out for your best interests, although of course these guys are right when they say that no one can force you.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, you sound like you feel like the drug is brainwashing you or otherwise working to prevent you from seeing something, and that's not 100% rational. It's possible that this isn't the right drug for you or that you need a change of dosage somehow, because you shouldn't be feeling like that. I would really try to explain what you're feeling to the doctor and perhaps try a different medication, especially if this is a new symptom.

You say they have an obsession with you. What do you mean? And may I ask what condition they're trying to treat, if you don't feel that's too personal?
  • Options
    they have an obsession with you. What do you mean? And may I ask what condition they're trying to treat, if you don't feel that's too personal?

I mean, they have been following me for some time and they enjoy trying to hurt me and control my day-to-day life.

The doctors said its paronoid schizophrenia
  • Options
    Well, paranoid schizophrenia definitely fits with the symptoms you're describing. It sounds to me like the meds aren't doing what they're supposed to, and trying something else could make you feel a lot better. Trust me, they're not trying to hurt you. They're trying to help you so you can see things clearly. You feel like they're trying to stop you from seeing but it's entirely the opposite. What you're seeing right now, that these doctors are obsessed with you and trying to harm you or control you somehow, is what's not real.

I know it's hard to imagine. I'm bipolar, and I know when I get manic I tend to think that everyone else has something wrong with them for trying to say that I'm acting weird. After all, I'm on top of the world and everything is fantastic. Sometimes, you just have to trust that these people are really trying to help you.
  • Options
    It's not the doctors i think are trying to hurt me it another group that can't be mentioned in detail. It's getting scary :(
  • Options
    Well, you're welcome to PM me if you ever want to talk about it. Otherwise I won't press you. :)