Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

STD's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This may sound like a daft question but bear with me:

If you (stupidly...) have unprotected sex with somebody a number of times, then get a STD checkup and it comes back clear and you're fine, does that mean the person you've slept with is probably clear too? Or just that they might have an STD that they haven't transmitted to you yet? How does it work, if someone had an STD would you catch it as soon as you slept with them?

Thank you in advance, don't be too harsh on me :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    There's still a chance that they have something and you just didn't catch it. Think about when someone you know has a cold. They could sneeze directly on you, or you could share a drink, and you may or may not get sick yourself. There's still a chance of catching something, since you don't know if they're infected or not. Just because you haven't caught anything yet isn't an excuse to avoid using a condom in the future. If you really don't want to use a condom then it's not out of line to ask if they'll get tested even if you're both reasonably sure that they're fine.

If they're sleeping with other people besides you, there's also the chance that they could pick something up in the future even if they're clear now, so I'd be wary of that too.
  • Options
    All your clear STD test shows is that you haven't caught anything. Some bugs are easier to pass on than others, so even if you repeatedly had unprotected sex it doesn't guarentee that you'd catch whatever the other person has.

If you're going to keep it up, they need to get tested too. Or get a braincell and use a condom.
  • Options

If you're going to keep it up, they need to get tested too. Or get a braincell and use a condom.

edit.