Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Repeat of rodney King?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_2117000/2117161.stm

Is this a repeat of what happened to Rodney King?

What disturbs me most, is if it wasn't caught on tape, the police could have easily said he was resisting arrest and said they acted forcefully, and it would be left at that!

:(

Comments

• Options
    and if he wasnt black, this wouldnt have been reported AT ALL whether it was caught on camera or not.

Rodney King was a piece of shit that deserved everything he got..Although it wasnt the police officers place to give it to him.

This latest thing...Well it turns out that the kid attacked a deputy which led to him having to be restrained by the police. The kid left a hugh gash in the head of one of the cops and it was that cop that punched him....Out of order, but the police are only human. Someone takes a lump of flesh off the side of your head then most people react.
  • Options
    Apparently the kid grabbed the Cops nuts.

There is no similarity between this and the Rodney King Episode.

Paul
  • Options
    Yeah, but do you think it will start riots in America like the Rodney Kings did?

:confused:
  • Options
    Oh definately....Any excuse to riot and loot...

Of course, those people are so stupid that they end up trashing their own neighbourhoods...Hopefully the asian shop keepers will kill a few of them like last time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Of course, those people are so stupid that they end up trashing their own neighbourhoods...Hopefully the asian shop keepers will kill a few of them like last time.

Part of the reason “these people” had and have no qualms about trashing their own neighborhoods is because they felt that they had nothing in it to loose. Most of the people owning property and business in those neighborhoods weren’t those people.

Anyhow, the kid is mentally delayed and was in handcuffs and there was no need to beat him.

You say that if he was White and it was caught on camera, nothing would have happened. I find that laughable.

Anyways, if a riot were to occur, it wouldn’t be simply because this is a Black teen beaten by cops, there are stories of that happening quite a bit. The reason would be because the cop abused his power and instead of being punished, he was rewarded with a paid vacation--otherwise known as a suspension with pay.

Instead of coming out in the beginning and saying that this cop was wrong, the first statements were that we have to further investigate.
  • Options
    Er first of all...By 'those people', I meant the people who riot, not black folks as you seem to be insinuating.

Nobody has said the cop was right to beat him. I said that it was out of order. It wasnt an abuse of power, it was a simple act of emotion..He lashed out after being attacked.

Dunno about you but ive never seen a video of a white man being beaten by the police in the US released on UK tv...You can bet that it happens more than beatings of blacks...Funny how it amazingly seems that only black beatings are caught on camera.. Or could it be that nobody gives a shit if a white guy gets beaten because theres no money in it.

The race baiters are already out in force saying this was a racist beating :rolleyes: ...No doubt the 'disabled' 'child' will sue and earn himself and his lawyers millions and millions..
  • Options
    I guess I misunderstood that “those people” comment.

However, it was an abuse of power. He had the kid in cuffs yet he chokes him, punches him, and slams his head on the hood of the car.

I’ve never seen a video of a White child getting beaten by the cops and this was also my first time seeing a Black child getting beaten up by the cops, but I have no doubt that if the man with the video camera who taped this child saw a White kid getting beaten up that he would have done the same thing.

Seeing the video of the cops beating up a minor, I have no doubt that the media would have been any slower at picking up the story.

I have my doubts about there being more beatings of Whites also.

Either way, I honestly did not and do not think that this child was beaten because he is Black and was quite shocked that it became portrayed as a Black/White issue. However, looking upon the events of this week, it is not too surprising since there has been another incident of a White cop beating up a Black person. People are beginning to lump the two together.

I think that the cop smashed the boy’s head in because the boy assaulted him, however that is not an excuse.
  • Options
    It is styleish in US for young black males to wear 'odd' clothing and conduct themselves as if they were retarded...just the way it it!

Apparently the young black male in the video was in fact actually mentally challenged...but how would an officer know, he acted the same as those who mimic his condition...that he didn't respond appropriately to directions would likely be taken as being in a drugged state and when he grabbed (or groped) the officers balls while handcuffed and bent over the car the response was not unexpected.

If you have never seen the US tv show "COPS" then you have no idea how out of control (or in control) our police can be...white, black, indian, oriental, etc., all get manhandled in about the same way...blacks tend to make more noise about it even when they are in the wrong...strategic complaints!

joetroll01.gif
  • Options
    Dunno about you but ive never seen a video of a white man being beaten by the police in the US released on UK tv...You can bet that it happens more than beatings of blacks...Funny how it amazingly seems that only black beatings are caught on camera.. Or could it be that nobody gives a shit if a white guy gets beaten because theres no money in it...

But we have all seen the video footage of the white man in Britain having the shit kicked out of him by several police officers.....

The police are prone to emotion, however they are also taught to restrain that emotion.
    Beating someone AFTER they have been handcuffed is not an emotional response, unless you're saying he has severely delayed reactions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lanni
    I have my doubts about there being more beatings of Whites also.

Why? Its only basic common sense. Blacks make up some 15% of the US population. You really think that more of that 15% are subject to police abuse than the other 85%?

Im afraid you are very naive about the race 'industry' they have over in the USA. Cops brutalising people is standard proceedure over there, yet it only becomes such an issue when its a white cop and a black victim..Thats where the money can be made so thats where the attention comes in.

You are getting mixed up...There was an allegation that this same policeman was involved in the beating of another black man last month.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

But we have all seen the video footage of the white man in Britain having the shit kicked out of him by several police officers.....

As you are usually ALWAYS keen to point out....This is not America.

Beating someone AFTER they have been handcuffed is not an emotional response, unless you're saying he has severely delayed reactions.

This isnt star trek mate...Of course its an emotional response...What else could it be? What practical reason could he have for hitting the guy?
  • Options

As you are usually ALWAYS keen to point out....This is not America.

Clutching at thin air, you implied that it didn't happen at all, and if it did it wasn't news worthy.

This isnt star trek mate...Of course its an emotional response...What else could it be? What practical reason could he have for hitting the guy?

......maybe...just maybe...he might actually be a racist. If he had retaliated before he had put the handcuffs on, then maybe you could say it was emotional. But beating a 16 year old BOY who is wearing handcuffs is much more than an emotional response
  • Options

Clutching at thin air, you implied that it didn't happen at all, and if it did it wasn't news worthy.

WTF? No i fucking well didnt...Go read my posts again..Every single one ive talked about things from a US perspective.

I guess you missed this bit huh?
    Dunno about you but ive never seen a video of a white man being beaten by the police in the US released on UK tv

......maybe...just maybe...he might actually be a racist. If he had retaliated before he had put the handcuffs on, then maybe you could say it was emotional. But beating a 16 year old BOY who is wearing handcuffs is much more than an emotional response

Racism is emotional :rolleyes:

Maybe he was racist....Maybe the black cop there on the scene also hated black people which is why he did nothing and didnt even react when this cop was mercilessly beating this poor little black kid.

Oh and if you think this was a BOY then you are extremely naive....How many 16 year olds in nottingham can be classed as children mate? Its a damn sight fewer in Inglewood, i can assure you.
  • Options

Racism is emotional :rolleyes:

Maybe he was racist....Maybe the black cop there on the scene also hated black people which is why he did nothing and didnt even react when this cop was mercilessly beating this poor little black kid.

Oh and if you think this was a BOY then you are extremely naive....How many 16 year olds in nottingham can be classed as children mate? Its a damn sight fewer in Inglewood, i can assure you.

16 year old boys are usually a damn sight smaller than 30 year old police officers.
    And like I said, his response was much more than emotional.

Whatever happens, if his attack was racist or not, he'll probably lose his job, and rightly so. Police officers are put in a posistion of trust, by beating up the people you arrest for no reason is a betrayal of that trust.
    At the end of the day, the boy was in handcuffs, unable to fight back. There can be no percieveable excuse for attacking him.
  • Options

16 year old boys are usually a damn sight smaller than 30 year old police officers.
    And like I said, his response was much more than emotional.

So what? It was the 16 year old who attacked first.

You still havent explained why it was 'much more than emotional'...What logical, practical reason did the cop have for beating the guy? I cant see any other reason than revenge for the huge gash on his head.

Lose his job? You mean like the rodney king cops? ROFL.

Oh and once again i will clarify for those unable to comprehend. I do not think the attack was justified and have said so since my very first post.
  • Options

There can be no percieveable excuse for attacking him.
    Originally posted by Ilson-Youth

However i think the fact the police hit a innocent person should be look at, rather than the fact that the police man was white, and the innocent bloke was black, but we all know im living in a dream world with that!

Why is it that every person who is on the receiving end (even when they actually initiated the "receiving") is automatically perceived as "innocent"? :rolleyes:

Let us have this little object lesson. We have an encounter, then I grab YOUR nuts, and attempt to rip them from your body. Let us witness YOUR reaction, and how "innocent" you then perceive me to be... ;)

The pathetic over use of the word innocent in inappropriate context is really quite boorish...
  • Options

I don't know where you live, but in NYC most of the 16 year olds I used to see were a sight bigger than me and lots of police officers I know. Here in Asia, 16 year olds are definitely bigger than the police...they're getting a better diet at a younger age and growing big.
  • Options
    Its a standard liberal tactic...They do the same with their anti gun 'statistics'...Correct me if im wrong but dont people like HCI class 'children' as 19 and under? Meaning that most gang killings get counted in their statistics..

Ive never met a 16 year old outside of special learning centres that i would class as a child.
  • Options
    Balddog, I have my doubts because cops are often more tactically aggressive (and reasonable so) in areas where there are gang wars, drugs, and such—these areas tend to be minority neighborhoods. That is why I think that if anyone is going to get the crap beat out of them, they are more likely going to be a Black person than a White person.

Nevertheless, this is more than the Black/White issue people are painting it out to be. This was a child, a mentally delayed child, in handcuffs, being beaten by a cop.

Looking at the video, even the other cops didn’t see it as an appropriate reaction, which is why you can see at least one of the cops prying the assaulting cop’s hands from around the child’s neck.

I agree with Whowhere on what he says about the emotional aspect.

As what you say about me being mistaken about there being another White cop beating a Black person incident the same week, you are mistaken. The child-beating incident occurred in the west while the other occurred in the central U.S.

Police brutality, as such, evidently is not standard procedure being that these cops’ careers are on the line.
  • Options
    I still dont believe that 15% of the population can receive more beatings than 85%...There is absolutely no proof whatsoever to back up such an outrageous claim.

Mentally delayed child...Oh please. The car was stopped for a minor traffic offence. The 'child' attacked the deputy for no reason whatsoever.

Ah, you are talking about that thing in Oklahoma...The policeman beating the huge black dude? The single policeman tackling a 250lb+ man on his own, with no backup and no police car in sight. Being handed his baton by the camera man before commencing the beating...If you believe that was real then im afraid you need to get out more...It was staged, the cameraman is well known.
  • Options
    Let me make one point. We don't KNOW what happened prior to the video being shot. Both sides have a huge incentive to lie. The police officer to keep his job, the kid to force a huge settlement.

The kid could have started it or the police officer. We'll never know.

I will add, though, that LAPD is not exactly the most glowing example of a well disciplined police force. Two years ago it was found that officers had been planting evidence and guns on people, robbing drug dealers, etc. The resulting lawsuits freed 20-30 people from jail and cost the city over 100 million to settle.

And I've seen the racial profiling first hand. I've been in a Mercedes 500 SL with a black friend when he got pulled over for doing absolutely nothing. Not speeding, weaving, running a red light... the cop just wanted to see that the car belonged to him. Blatantly illegal. And completely a case of our word against his.

On the whole, given the past activities of this police force, I would be a little suspicious. But I wouldn't condemn the police officer immediately either. Ingelwood is one of the toughest neighborhoods in the country.
  • Options
    Balddog, well what can you do, there is no proof for your claim either.

I don’t know why the kid attacked the cop and either do you. However, there are times that if you are holding a certain position, you can’t react to situations as a normal Joe would.

In regards to the other beating, what I said was that because there was another incident of a White cop beating a Black person, people are making it into a Black/White issue. That is all I said.
  • Options
    My claim is backed up by common sense...Its just simple logic that says that 85% of the population are going to receive more beatings than 15%.

We will find out what happened soon enough..The CCTV footage from the petrol station should establish that..
  • Options
    My claim is backed up by common sense...Its just simple logic that says that 85% of the population are going to receive more beatings than 15%.

We will find out what happened soon enough..The CCTV footage from the petrol station should establish that..

Statistics aren’t always that simple, for that type of thinking to work, one would have to assume that in predominately White populations, law enforcement use the same type of tactics as in predominately Black populations.

I believe the cops about the child attacking so it won’t be shocking if the tape shows that, it would be if the tape established that he didn’t. However, that does not excuse the cops behavior.
  • Options
    Im not quite sure how many times i need to say this but you dont seem to be able to understand..I have never said that the cops behaviour was justified, nor have i said it was excusable. Am i not being clear enough here? Ive said it in almost every one of my posts.
  • Options
    Yeah, you are right I didn’t fully understand you. There seemed to be ambiguity in what you typed.

It seemed that you were attempting to justify what the cops did when you said that that child attacked him for no reason and when you said that police brutality is standard behavior as if there isn’t anything wrong with what the cop did, then you said that it is inexcusable.

So I responded by saying that even if the child did attack first, it is not excusable and that based upon the other cop’s reaction, even they thought it was inappropriate.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter if the police officer was attacked first, they are supposed to show professionalism in their work.
    They are trained to restrain themselves and respond with appropriate force. Punching someone in handcuffs isn't appropriate force, punching someone who can't fight back isn't appropriate force.

And as for size, the boy in that picture looks a lot smaller than any of the 3 officers in the picture.
    No matter how you look at it, you cannot justify the officer's response.
  • Options
    you cannot justify the officer's response.

I give up...
  • Options
    sorry mate, I just re-read what you wrote, my mistake.
  • Options
    That black people get pulled up a lot by police in Britain is an undeniable fact, regardless of what proportion of the population they make. The highest-profile case that comes to mind is that of that chap who publicly complained after being stop practically every month, presumably because he was driving an expensive car, and was subsequently arrested 33 times in three years- but never charged- as a vendetta for complaining.

But going back to the riots, what really triggered the disturbances in L.A. was that the four scumbags who beat up King were actually acquitted by the all-white jury. How quite they reached that verdict is still one of the great mysteries of our times. :rolleyes: