Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting into the working world?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey. so i'm currently at college which is boring as it is. My "plan" of action is to leave college with A levels and get a job. Currently I find college a bore, unproductive and depressing but im almost finished so it's best for me to stay and get grades. University is also something i've been put off by so that's not really an option.

My question is how does one get into the working world? I know everyone first job isn't really glamorous. But how do you get into a stable job that you won't get made redundant?

Are there any good websites for young people to get into working?

cheers.

Comments

• Options
    In terms of sites, well, normal job sites. But you could use Job Trials: Job Centre, or by sending letters direct to companies [likewise for job listings that aren't made public, you could get lucky]. You can also register yourself with a agency but don't expect miracles. You could also go for a Apprenticeship directly (nextstep.direct.gov.uk).

Share a bit more info with what you're happy doing, what is it you are doing in college, what it is you want to do career wise, where you live, your age, etc. More people could share insight with things depending on your details.

In terms of stable jobs, nothing is stable.
  • Options
    If you want want some security get an apprenticeship in the private sector, but saying that its still not 100% secure and are tougher to get each year.
    When I was at college all I wanted to be was aeronautical engineer but hated A-levels and the thought of uni so enrolled to apprenticeships throughout the UK and ended up doing something slightly different - technical support and project management in marine/nuclear engineering.and I didn't even stay in college long enough to do exams I was out like a hare.
    What I'm getting at is don't just look at one specific area but broaden your search and you never know you can strike gold :)

Good luck with the hunt and future prospects
  • Options
    You could also look into doing work experience or volunteering in a company which you would want to work for - it means that you get something to put on your cv, plus practical skills and often you can then apply for jobs there which are advertised internally.