Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Job Advert

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I recently applied for a job as a Web Developer and in the advert it says:
This opportunity is offered over a 6 week period, with the potential for the project to be extended beyond this.

Also states:
The successful candidate will work at home for the majority of the placement, so you will be self motivated.

Then for salary it says:
You will be paid a training allowance of £840 every four weeks free from tax and NI.

But I am not sure as to whether that is right or not, I thought what ever you earn you are deducted tax and NI ????

any help or suggestions....

Comments

• Options
    You have to file your own tax and insurance. It's a self-employed vancancy. If you don't submit your own, you'll be fined or jailed for evasion.
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for your response but it does not say that it is a self-employed opportunity and not only that if I was to file my own tax and NI then I would still have to pay Tax and NI wouldn't I which is the point I was trying to make because the advert gives the impression that you don't pay any Tax or NI ??
  • Options
    What you earn in this job is over the threshold for tax and NI.
  • Options
    So if you say what I earn is other the threshold then I would have to pay Tax and NI then, right ??
  • Options
    MrShyDrops wrote: »
    So if you say what I earn is other the threshold then I would have to pay Tax and NI then, right ??

Yes
  • Options
    Okay...

Thanks for your help on this also it is below the MMW anyway...

Kind Regards
  • Options
    How many hours per week is it? The job description implies there's training involved ("Training allowance") - therefore, NMW doesn't apply.
  • Options
    Hi

It does not say how many hours it is, but I am assuming a 35-40hr week because of the kind of work it is and also he's asking for a lot of things in the Job Description as well.

PHP and MySQL
    HTML
    CSS
    Database Skills
    SEO
    Analytical Skills

Etc etc. Excellent time management skills.

Kind Regards
  • Options
    Are you sure its legitimate, it sounds rather dodgy to me.
  • Options
    Now I have thought about it, something does not seem right about it..

Kind Regards
  • Options
    is it an online advert? mind if I see a link if it is
  • Options
    Hi,

Yes it was an online advert, but I can't seem to find the link now....
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi MrShyDrops :wave:

It sounds as though this job opportunity is a bit confusing and you don't feel like the advertisement is giving you the complete picture :confused: On the original ad there will probably have been a contact name/number or email address. It might be a good idea to contact someone to ask the questions that are worrying you about this, so you know whether it's legitimate and whether it's worth you applying, what do you think :chin:?

For questions about National Insurance and tax I think the direct.gov.uk is a great place go to get the facts. Here's the link for info about N.I and here's the section about tax. TheSite also has some nice easy to understand articles about income tax and N.I too.

Good luck, hope you can make some sense of it soon,

LauraO
  • Options
    Hi

Yeah I took a call today from the person who is dealing with this job and he still maintains I would not have to pay any Tax/NI and that it is originally a 6 Week placement which if the client is happy with could then be made permanent. But its over a 1hr 30mins away.

Seems a bit of a con if you ask me because I their is no guarentee of a job and I know some people who have been promised a job after a 6 week period and then the client has turned round and changed their mind so their is no Job if you get what I am trying to say.

Thanks for all your help.

Kind Regards

x
  • Options
    What he's telling you is wrong about the NI / tax thing. No idea why he thinks you won't pay?
  • Options
    Hi

I have no idea why he still thinks I won't pay, anyway like I said I spoke to him and apologised for the misunderstanding.