Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What complete rubbish!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Pardon the pun...

From what I managed to see of the newspapers today, the government is planning to tax our rubbish. I believe that the tax is going to be £5 a month. This is under the guise of trying to make us more eco-friendly.

It occours to me (although I'm the first to admit I have limited knowledge on the issue) that people are going to have to throw out their rubbish anyway, and that this unreasonable tax is just a way for them to get more money.

Anyone have any opinions, or indeed a greater insight to the story?

Comments

• Options
    As one of the papers cartoon says today:

You'll pay £14 to have the post delivered, and then pay £5 just to have it taken away again :D

NB: Don't I already pay to have my refuse collected. Isn't that what Council Tax is all about?

Can't see this happening myself. Too much public opposition.
  • Options
    Isn't this just an increase in council tax by £5? I mean, if i don't pay this i'll be arrestred for dumping litter.

Tempting, none the less... Just put my rubbish outside my house and wait to see if they take it away.
    Do you really see each of the countrys dump trucks being linked to a nationonal database that tells them from week to week whether i've paid my £5?

I think this is just unworkable, refuse collection isn't for the good of the house-hold. Its for the good of the public... I mean, rats don't limit themselves to the house's that don't pay up.

Don't get me started on paying for mail. Some things just are not going to work as a privite companys.
  • Options
    It would not necessarily ean a £5 increase in Council Tax because there is a White Paper to ammend the Local Goverement Act that will allow councils to charge for all types of services.

But wouldn't worry about the rubbish thing, the council has a statutory duty to keep the streets clean of household waste (not comercial waste though..).

However, the fly in the ointment is that Local Authorities ae a law unto themselves.
  • Options
    I've been hearing about the charges for post and rubbish on the radio for the past few days, but I'm very confused...What does other tax money go towards?? Council tax, Income tax, etc etc? Even VAT--it's 17%, and I thought we were bad in Ontario with 15%. Gah.

Oh well, at least be thankful you're not in Toronto. Last I heard, the rubbish collectors were on strike. In 30+ degree weather. And Health Canada says it's not a health hazard. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Scarlett

VAT is set at 17.5% thankfully. working it out at 17% would be a bitch.

Do you want to know where each part of the tax you pay goes, or a general inquery into what the gov. spends money on, not worrying how it got there? (including nat. ins, VAT, income tax etc etc)

I think i'll answer the easier :
    Tax's go to a lot of things, National infrastructure (the bits that haven't been sold), NHS, Pensions, unemployment benifit, legel aid for people to sue the NHS, National defense, MP's expenses, Paying the civil service, paying interest on the national debt, paying aid to less developed countrys, street lighting (is that or is that not national infrastructure..?), large obsolete tents in the london docklands, emergancy services...err...and some other stuff :p

Any-one know how much (as a %) our gov (over all sectors) spend on litigation? Thats ayers bills, legel aid for people to litigate, advice to avoid litigation, compensation (when we lose court case's) etc etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Scarlett
    I've been hearing about the charges for post and rubbish on the radio for the past few days, but I'm very confused...What does other tax money go towards?? Council tax, Income tax, etc etc? Even VAT--it's 17%, and I thought we were bad in Ontario with 15%. Gah.

Our VAT was 15% at one point but the Conservatives upped it, and Labour haven't changed it.

Council Tax should take care of the rubbish issue, so I'm not sure why it has been raised as an issue
    Oh well, at least be thankful you're not in Toronto. Last I heard, the rubbish collectors were on strike. In 30+ degree weather. And Health Canada says it's not a health hazard. :rolleyes:

:eek:

We all know how clean and disease free wild rats are :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Tax's go to a lot of things, .... MP's expenses....

You missed the bit where we pay for their summer holidays.

Sorry, I mean "fact finding missions"

;)
  • Options
    Aside from air, name one thing that is not taxed.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Murph the Surf

Books.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

Books.

VAT, no?

Ok, rubbish tax. It actually makes a lot of sense. The idea, if you will accept it, is to recycle more. Over here, you get taxed on per unit waste. This encourages you to use the free (or at least indirectly taxed) recycle bins, which reduces waste, makes the greenies happier, and is generally better for everyone. All for a little inconvienience.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Murph the Surf

Food.

Note that one of the government's latest bright ideas is to tax unhealthy foods in order to bring about a greater level of healthy eating. (Ref.: This week's The Sunday Times.)
  • Options
    Vox,

SSSHHHHH!!!! The Government will hear you!