Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Actually Getting to A Doctor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I was younger I used to get tonsolitis. I've also had glandular fever and I've had 'strep throat' 4 times when in America. I've come down with another throaty probelm and am swollen - my glands are huge, ears and eyes hurting and feeling fatigued. I'm a bit of a work horse and know I'm not contageous so have been going in to work. I leave 6am, I get home 6pm. I'm a teacher.

So I'm swollen, fatigued and looking pretty rough. Am alright just now because I've taken some painkillers but need to see a doc.

The thing is despite having about 10 GP's in the local area (less than a mile), all have fobbed me off to my closest one (fair enough) who say they won't give me an appointment without being registered and that it takes at least 7 days to register...and then they'll give me an appointment - where because they are oversubscribed could take - yep you guessed it - 7 days. Plus I have to register in person. Between 10.30am - 12pm and 4.30pm to 5.30pm.

I live on the same road as a major hospital and my Dad told me to go to A and E but I feel like I have a sore throat - my leg is not falling off...

Can someone tell me PLEASE - what can I do? I have a course tomorrow so am intending on going to that GP afterwards (as I finish earlier) and saying that I need to see someone. My throat might be at the phase that I need anti-biotics if it doesn't settle down. I've been suffering over a week. I'm just being continually getting fobbed off over the phone :(

Comments

• Options
    Go to out of hours (evening) GP or to a pharmacists, either should be able to help.

A&E is really a last resort and the doctors there don't actually see as much of this kind of condition and therefore you might not get the best care.

NB If you need an "Urgent" appoint, the GP contract requires them to see you, even if you aren't registered. There is no reason why the practice cannot see you whilst your "registration" is being completed.
  • Options
    What he said, and he's the expert on this.

Go after work, register and ask for an urgent appointment.
  • Options
    google where the nearest walk in centre is to you
  • Options

:yes:

It's another option - a little like a Minor Injuries Unit but they will also treat minor ailments like this. Worth checking to see if there's one near you but they tend to be rarer (e.g. only one in the 400sq miles I work in but 120 GPs, 110 Pharmacists and 9 MIUs)
  • Options
    yeh walk in centres are great! i had such a mare with my uni doctor i stopped going there and went to the walk in centre.
  • Options
    U deffo need antibiotics, i have suffered myself with the same throat problems, if u need to see a dr and u are not registered ring your local drs and ask them the out of hours dr on call its a nene doc or key doc or something and if u ring your local drs after hours the automated machine will give u the number anyway. Goodluck i know how painful this can be x
  • Options
    The thing is despite having about 10 GP's in the local area (less than a mile), all have fobbed me off to my closest one (fair enough) who say they won't give me an appointment without being registered and that it takes at least 7 days to register...and then they'll give me an appointment - where because they are oversubscribed could take - yep you guessed it - 7 days. Plus I have to register in person. Between 10.30am - 12pm and 4.30pm to 5.30pm.

That is ridiculous. I've changed GP twice in just over 18 months because I moved. I just had to fill in a form and was told I can just see the doctor. I didn't have to wait 7 days before I could get an appointment. Because I just had to fill in a form, I could do it whenever and drop it in when I was going past the surgery.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    That is ridiculous. I've changed GP twice in just over 18 months because I moved. I just had to fill in a form and was told I can just see the doctor. I didn't have to wait 7 days before I could get an appointment. Because I just had to fill in a form, I could do it whenever and drop it in when I was going past the surgery.

I went in and saw them face to face with a "I would like to see a doctor" and was told they're not allowed until I'm registered which takes 7 days. They then offered me a walk-in centre which I know is closed, which I told them, and they then suggested a polyclinic in the next town which is open 8am-8pm 365 days a year. I'm going there tomorrow once I've done my morning tutor sessions as one of my students lives near it.

Even more amusing was that when I got there (bearing in mind we had had a phone call and then said I had to come in) they then added that I needed 2 pieces of evidence with my address on them and an ID with photo. So I couldn't even complete the registration there and then :banghead:

I've been on some extra strength pain killers and extra strong lozengers (which I can take together) today and have managed to go the day without an ounce of pain - but I'm still swollen and the such. Will hopefully get all sorted tomorrow - fingers crossed. Thank you SO MUCH for all your feedback - I've needed a different perspective between bf going "I dunno", Dad saying "Go to A&E" and mum saying "I'll have to come up there and look after you myself" I haven't know what to do rationally!
  • Options
    Any luck?