Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Proposals?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know everyone is different, but how the hell do you think of how you are going to do it!

I don't particularly want to make a song and dance about it which may lead to undue pressure on the other party, but nor do I want it to be just "by the way I have something to ask you"

Input please, ideas or even how you proposed to someone, or they proposed to you.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Awwwww G :D
  • Options
    I didn't go the whole "under the Eiffel Tower" thing. Overkill IMHO.

I did the one knee thing though, with a ring already. It was at her house. I even remember the date I did it, even though there was nothing else significant on that day.

Well, every prisoner knows what day they were sent down ;)
  • Options
    Cook her a meal, and ask her then :) Or, go for a sunset stroll on the beach if there's one near you... might be a bit cold for this at the moment though :L x
  • Options
    I second the eiffell tower being overrated - it's not even a very pretty place. I can think of more romantic/private places than a tourist hotspot in the middle of paris. I can't think of anything personally - just nothing overly cheesy.
  • Options
    i suppose it depends on how confident you are that the person will say yes and how much of a private person you are. Most of the people i know who have done it have done it in a public way...but they have also known that no wasnt an issue.
  • Options
    I think I and the partner could deal with a public place, just not necessarily right in front of a group of people.
  • Options
    go for a sunset stroll on the beach if there's one near you... might be a bit cold for this at the moment though :L x

That's what we did! Almost, anyway. And it was this time of year, so it was freezing. He whisked me off for a birthday trip to Whitby, we walked down the pier under the guise of watching the sunset (although we were a bit late, so we were just kind of looking at the darkness), we stopped on a bench to have a rest and before I knew it he was down on one knee.

It was perfect for us as a couple, cause it was more special than just 'shall we do it, then?', but wasn't too over the top. I'd have hated anything too public or overblown.
  • Options
    family meals and get togethers seem to be the in thing with people i know. My cousin proposes alot tho so that doesn't count.
  • Options
    I sort of have mixed feelings about proposals.

The romantic in me thinks a proposal should be personal to your relationship - something/somewhere of some significance to your relationship. A fancy restaurant is so impersonal and meaningless if you never go out for posh dinners together. Same with Paris - unless the Eiffel Tower has played a role in your relationship, why go there to make a big step forward as a couple? A couple of my friends who had been together for ages had got into the habit of to reading to each other at night, and one night, when they'd got about halfway through her favourite childhood book, she opened it to find the engagement ring attached to the bookmark with a ribbon. He'd written something on the bookmark like "I want to read to you every night for the rest of our lives - can I do that, please?" I think that's far more romantic and meaningful than some overblown, out-of character proposal.

Another friend's car had broken down on the motorway - they were on their way somewhere really important, somewhere she'd been incredibly nervous and ratty about (can't remember exactly what it was) and she just burst out laughing and sat on the floor next to the car in hysterics. Her boyfriend said he'd known he wanted to ask her for a while, but had been worrying about how and where and when to do it, but seeing her just laugh everything off made him want to do it there and then, so he sat on the floor with her and asked her. They made a little engagement ring out of a bit of wire and a stone from the road while they were waiting for the breakdown vehicle. Again, no frills and daffodils, but completely honest and beautiful.

Ultimately, you're telling someone you love them enough to want to spend the rest of your life with them. That, to me, is beautiful enough without expensive dinners and foreign monuments - isn't it?
  • Options
    I can't say I've thought about it much except that I want a fairtrade ring, but that's personal to me. You know and love her well enough to want to marry her, you know what she likes. It's the little personal details that will make it special
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I sort of have mixed feelings about proposals.

The romantic in me thinks a proposal should be personal to your relationship - something/somewhere of some significance to your relationship. A fancy restaurant is so impersonal and meaningless if you never go out for posh dinners together. Same with Paris - unless the Eiffel Tower has played a role in your relationship, why go there to make a big step forward as a couple? A couple of my friends who had been together for ages had got into the habit of to reading to each other at night, and one night, when they'd got about halfway through her favourite childhood book, she opened it to find the engagement ring attached to the bookmark with a ribbon. He'd written something on the bookmark like "I want to read to you every night for the rest of our lives - can I do that, please?" I think that's far more romantic and meaningful than some overblown, out-of character proposal.

Another friend's car had broken down on the motorway - they were on their way somewhere really important, somewhere she'd been incredibly nervous and ratty about (can't remember exactly what it was) and she just burst out laughing and sat on the floor next to the car in hysterics. Her boyfriend said he'd known he wanted to ask her for a while, but had been worrying about how and where and when to do it, but seeing her just laugh everything off made him want to do it there and then, so he sat on the floor with her and asked her. They made a little engagement ring out of a bit of wire and a stone from the road while they were waiting for the breakdown vehicle. Again, no frills and daffodils, but completely honest and beautiful.

Ultimately, you're telling someone you love them enough to want to spend the rest of your life with them. That, to me, is beautiful enough without expensive dinners and foreign monuments - isn't it?
    I like those stories :)
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    I can't say I've thought about it much except that I want a fairtrade ring, but that's personal to me.

How about an ethically-sourced Hula-hoop?
  • Options

Raedy Salted or Cheese and Onion ?
  • Options

cheap skate:p
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Salt and vinegar, obv.
  • Options
    I got proposed to on the London Eye in front of 25 girl guides - I dont' reccomend it as an option (I obv said yes and had been pre warned that a proposal was in order next time we went on the london eye - but as it was an arranged guide trip outside of our own control i didnt' imagine that he would actually go through with it).

Most people i know have been proposed to in big dramatic statements (top of the Empire state building - up in a hot air baloon) or whilst on holiday (new york, Prague, Monaco) - except for one friend who got proposed to by her boyfriend in bed (he had a ring) and it was on the anniversary of her fathers death so it was a very special day for her and turned a sad day into a happy one.

Ohh and my ex boyfriends brother proposed to his girlfriend by giving her a box of chocolates with the ring inside - which is also a nice idea.

I would say if possible do it on one knee with a ring and if you know she wants to choose her own an empty box with an IOU in it!
  • Options

You're still never getting my ring.:flirt:
  • Options

Lady's choice! I am a gentleman, after all. :D
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    cheap skate:p

I'm just thinking about the environment! Diamonds are hardly biodegradable. :D
  • Options
    I was proposed to on the eiffel tower and it was the most wonderful moment of my life. but my OH is a bit of a one for grand gestures, and i would have been just as happy if he'd have proposed in the back garden. Go somewhere that is special to you as a couple or somewhere that she likes. She will love it - the time and place are not the important part.
  • Options
    I think it wise to not do it in uniform like 2 seconds after I had come back.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    You're still never getting my ring.:flirt:

I can live with that. Just show me your 'Weapon of ass destruction' !
  • Options
    awww geeeeee.

if she likes you in your uniform then why not? you can have an officer and a gentleman moment. or turn it into a marge and homer moment and she carries you. aw
  • Options
    I can live with that. Just show me your 'Weapon of ass destruction' !

Seriously? :nervous:

lol
  • Options
    awww geeeeee.

if she likes you in your uniform then why not? you can have an officer and a gentleman moment. or turn it into a marge and homer moment and she carries you. aw

She is armed forces too.