Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bakers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No, not the dog food !

Bought a fantastic little book from Sainsburys' the other week 'Baking Recipe Collection' 100 recipes, photo for each one so you can see what you're aiming at (always useful). Mainly cakes, muffins etc. but a few tarts (so to speak), breads and other savoury stuff. A guide to ingredients and utensils and a broad spectrum of easy to moderate recipes to a good book to start with and you're bound to find something in there you haven't tried before.

So far i've made

Apple Cake
Ginger Cake with stem ginger
008.JPG 680.7K
009.JPG 701.9K
015.JPG 676.8K
018.JPG 685.1K

Comments

• Options
    I am jealous of your baking skills.
  • Options
    Please can you send me some... they look amazing!
  • Options
    i love having lots of new recipes to try :D

i'm making cupcakes for a little girl's third birthday party next week. lots of pink and sparkle :yes:
  • Options
    There's a fab party cake recipe in there. A treasure chest cake.
  • Options
    Your cakes look lovely i love baking as well x
  • Options
    Thanks.

This is the orange cake i made from the book last week. Good for using up old oranges as it uses the whole orange.

5517210949_ac3de5ced9.jpg

5517209387_4e8f5effa7.jpg
  • Options
    First and last cake I made all alone (back in 2006). I retired as an undefeated champ.

part 1
  • Options
    I think it took me one and a half hours just to clean up the mess. All in all it was a full afternoon in the kitchen. But it tasted like a demented god had a rave party in my mouth.
  • Options
    Looks rather yummy
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I think it took me one and a half hours just to clean up the mess. All in all it was a full afternoon in the kitchen. But it tasted like a demented god had a rave party in my mouth.

We will make a cake decorating gay out of you yet :D
  • Options
    Oh, you're back. Did you have a nice time ?
  • Options
    Amazing time thanks.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    No, not the dog food !

Bought a fantastic little book from Sainsburys' the other week 'Baking Recipe Collection' 100 recipes, photo for each one so you can see what you're aiming at (always useful). Mainly cakes, muffins etc. but a few tarts (so to speak), breads and other savoury stuff. A guide to ingredients and utensils and a broad spectrum of easy to moderate recipes to a good book to start with and you're bound to find something in there you haven't tried before.

So far i've made

Apple Cake
    Ginger Cake with stem ginger
    I have the badge the monkeys wereing x
  • Options
    Mmmm that orange cakes looks good any chance u can post recipe and instructions? I always have to many oranges left over, strubbles your cakes look delicious!
    I am baking a cake for my friends birthday this week if it looks good i will post a picci x
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »

you used a doily :p
  • Options
    you used a doily :p

damn right. Puts the . on the i.
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    Mmmm that orange cakes looks good any chance u can post recipe and instructions?

2 medium oranges
    5 medium eggs
    225g caster sugar
    200g ground almonds
    50g plain flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    icing sugar

Grease and fully line a 20cm/8 inch cake tin. Set oven to 180c, 160c fan, gas 4

Put the oranges in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hour. Put the whole oranges except that little stalky bit at the top, in a food processor and whizz until smooth(ish). I cut them in half to take out any pips, but there weren't any.

Add the eggs, caster sugar, ground almonds, flour and baking powder and whizz again until nicely blended but not so all the orange zest is pureed, you want a few bits in the mixture.

Pour the mix into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour. Test it after 50 to see if it's cooked as ovens vary. It's a VERY runny mixture, not like a sponge cake mix at all, so don't worry.

Allow to cool completely in the tin, if you try to take it out when it's warm, it'll fall apart.

Take out the tin, dust with icing sugar and some orange/lemon zest would look nice too.

Listen to people say 'Ooooo, aren't you clever' :)
  • Options
    Many thanks for taking the time to do this for me i will post a picci of my cake when i figure how to download off my new phone :d x