Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self-harm & low self-esteem.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there. :wave: Thanks for reading, first. I've always felt like I'm incomplete, or that there was always something, 'wrong' or different about me. I've always realized I look fat, spotty or most times I find it hard to socialize with others without being called weird. I've got some real good friends, and I always have a laugh with them - i do good at school and stuff like that; but there was only something that helped heal my pain, about my self-esteem. So I started self harming. I've only just started, a few weeks now, but I don't know what to do. Should I tell somebody? I'm trying so hard to not let people see my scars, and it makes me upset that my parents don't know about it, neither does my best friend. I'm nearly 12 years old, and it's the first time I've tried to ask for some advice. So, be nice...
Thanks for reading..

Comments

• Options
    hi welcome to thesite :)

it is totally up to you if you tell anyone.
    i was your age when i started, i only got myself help about 4 months ago and my parents found out weeks ago.
    im now 15, almost 16.
    as long as your looking after yourself and the wounds and not doing serious damage, make sure you feel ready to talk to ANYBODY at all.

*hug*
  • Options
    So I started self harming. I've only just started, a few weeks now, but I don't know what to do. Should I tell somebody? I'm trying so hard to not let people see my scars, and it makes me upset that my parents don't know about it, neither does my best friend. I'm nearly 12 years old, and it's the first time I've tried to ask for some advice. So, be nice...
    Thanks for reading..

If you have the courage to talk to someone I would urge you to. You have a number of options, the most obvious person is your GP if you know one you trust. Otherwise, maybe a teacher or your parents if you think you can.

Do be aware that if a GP or teacher thinks you're at serious risk they may tell your parents, but never without informing you. I self-harmed at your age and my GP didn't tell my parents, most won't.

Telling someone for the first time is a huge thing, so well done and I really hope you carry this through to tell someone else.

In the mean time here is a good list of distraction techniques. I enjoy knitting, I know it sounds daft but it's constructive and keeps my hands busy. If you're artistic, people who can draw tell me that's good because you get sucked into creating until the urge passes.

All the best.