Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Books about mental health

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Can anyone suggest some good books to read around mental health ?

To cut a long story short, I was unwell at university, but since graduating I have been involved with my local MIND and have done many courses and read books, but there is still so much more to learn as it's such a BIG subject.

Comments

• Options
    What sort of thing are you interested in?

I have read around my own diagonis, maybe exploring yours if you have one is a good place to start.

Also you might have a local books on prescription scheme where you can get specific titles "prescribed" by your doctor to borrow from a local library. I have done this and it was good.
  • Options
    i have a list as long as my arm.
    what particular conditions are you interested in?
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    About depression, I'd recommed 'I had a black dog'. A lot of people I know have found it useful.
  • Options
    I think books that cover a whole variety of topics would interest me, so not just one particular illness. Anything around schizophrenia or depression as this is what has affected me.

Maybe personal accounts by people who have suffered from mental health problems.

I think especially books around recovery/what helps you stay well as staying well is the aim !