Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Trouble putting on weight.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Guys :)

I'm 17, turning 18 in a few months. I'm about 5'9 and I weigh about 9 stone dead. To look at, you wouldn't say I looked thing but I genuinely know I am. Of course I'm not anorexic but I would really like to get some meat on me.

I can go about 4 days without eating anything and not feel hungry or even ill, and I find it difficult to sit down to a large meal.

Are there any other ways I can genuinely put on some weight?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    You do need to eat regularly.
  • Options
    The point i'm trying to make is, I can't eat if i'm not hungry.
  • Options
    It's the only way you're going to put on weight.
  • Options
    You'll probably get older, drink more beer, eat more shit, get a bit fatter. Some people are just naturally thin. Is there actually a problem?
  • Options
    Not a huge problem but I'd feel a little more confident knowing I had a bit more beef on my bones :D
  • Options
    Have things like nilkshake in between your meals?
  • Options
    anything other than eating every 4 days and not sitting down to proper meals????

no.
  • Options
    If you're not prepared to eat properly then you won't put on weight. It's not exactly rocket science.

If you can't eat a lot in one go then graze, but if you're not eating you'll lose weight. Your body will need at least 1200-1300 calories a day just to function normally, and a normal adult needs about 1800-2400 calories a day for all their needs, so if you're not eating that you'll either lose weight or remain constant.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Eat a whole chocolate bar a day, might work :chin: You need to visit your GP if you can't eat regurly!
    So want to fatten up start munching!!!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

If you can't eat a lot in one go then graze

:yes: it sounds like you need to build up an appetite and I'm no expert, but this may well be a gradual process.

It's all very well people saying: "You need to eat regularly." But you're clearly aware of this, so I guess the real question is, what might be affecting your appetite and how can you overcome this hurdle?

If it's a matter of forgetting to eat, it might be worth setting yourself reminders somehow? Or letting your parents know you feel you'd like to eat more and seeing if they can offer you some encouragement. Also, do you exercise regularly? People need fuel to exercise and it can definitely get the hunger pangs going - swimming for instance... I know I always feel like I could eat forever when I first leave the pool...

Also, if you really are going up to 4 days without feeling like you want to eat then in the same way someone might go to their GP to talk about losing weight, it's really valid for you to go and find out if there's any medical reason for why you have this suppressed appetite. Do you think you'd feel comfortable doing that? We do have an article on TheSite.org about healthy weight gain that reinforces my point about GP -
    Putting on weight isn't any easier than losing it - you'll need will power. But if you commit to eating more over a period of time you will achieve your goal.

If you're consuming more food and not putting on any weight there might be an underlying medical reason. For example, undiagnosed diabetes or an under-active thyroid can be reasons for weight loss. Also if you're really struggling to put on weight, there are food supplements your doctor (GP) can prescribe for you that can help increase your daily calorie intake. These include high calorie juice drinks or milkshakes which you drink as an addition to meals, rather than as a replacement.

Being underweight can be just as bad for you as being overweight, so don't feel you can't discuss it with your doctor (GP) - they will be interested and will want to help.

The rest of the article also has more tips about healthy eating habits to improve weight gain.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/fitnessanddiet/healthyeating/gainingweight

Hope this helps. :)
  • Options
    Thanks Helen, like you said it's no use people telling me I need to eat. I'm perfectly aware of this.

The time I never ate for four days was when I was in strange surroundings, I guess that contributed to that.

To begin with, I'm going to change my diet and set times where I should eat, and then eat what I can regardless of my state of hunger and see how it goes from there.

Thanks
  • Options
    I've been in a similar position in the past. If you don't eat regularly you might not get the usual signals that you are hungry or if you are used to disordered/ irregular eating then you might be so used to ignoring them that you have sort of forgetten what they feel like. My doctor advised me to eat foods that I like. I ate Snickers bars quite often. Also try having foods that have high calories but don't really fill you up, e.g. milkshake, a few nuts, some dried fruit etc. Hopefully as you start to eat more you will get more used to eating regularly and your weight will be a bit higher. Good luck :)