Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What should come first - a child's health and wellbeing or their "academic" performan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If a seven-year-old child has been up much of the night and been having nightmares and is still looking peaky should the *first* thing a parent do is to ask him to fetch his schoolbag so she can see what homework he has and then tell him that they are going visiting today and he will have to sit and do the homework on Sunday upsetting the child after he has been relaxed at last after a troubled night and leaving him in tears as they get into the car?

Comments

• Options
    A nightmare is not an illness. As a parent u are in charge and you should decide what is best for your child!!
    I don't think making a child upset is good but i don't think a child should get upset just to get out of doing his/ her homework.
    My 2 Children have a lot of homework to do, they broke up from school yesterday for a week so last nite i said LEAVE IT!! Enjoy yourselves for a few days we all do it together in the week and thats what we will do, its getiing the right balance so everyone is happy.
    if i could abolish homework i would lol !!!! x
    Goodluck try not to let it interfere with your homelife and if it does you should go to your childs class teacher and say. homework should last 30 mins tops and if its dragging on and the child is getting upset then u stop x
  • Options
    if my child had literally been up all night, then i probably wouldnt send them to school unless i had other plans that i couldnt cancel.
    if theyd just been up a few times in the night with nightmares, but had still slept, then id send them in, but id nip in and explain to the teacher in case he was off sorts.

I dont think theres any right or wrong, or what the parent should or shouldnt do.
    Some people let their child stay off school for pretty much anything. Others send them in unless theyre really properly ill.
    Im more of a "send them to school anyway" type of parent, and hope they perk up and if they dont, the school can always call me to collect him later. You dont want the child to start thinking they can get the day off school whenever they want
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    A nightmare is not an illness.

No, but at age seven they are pretty disruptive and absolutely fucking shit. From personal experience. I used to have horrible nightmares *every single night* when I was that age and I would wake up bawling my damn eyes out and absolutely terrified.

If my kid had been up *all night* in that state, I would probably call in sick for them unless it was a seriously regular occurrence. If they'd been up a couple of times I'd let them off their homework and explain the situation to the teacher.
  • Options
    Obviously the childs well being comes above academic performance, but that doesn't mean that home work as part of a routine isn't important.

Some time if a kid has had an unsettled night then back into normality is the best solution. Any child who's getting worked up just at the thought of doing their homework either has another underlying problem, or needs to get used to it and realise it's not actually a bad thing and they should quit causing a fuss.
  • Options
    I think if you're looking at using us to points-score against your child's mother you've come to the wrong place.

It isn't right to deliberately upset a child, but in that sort of situation the child needs to know that he can't bunk off school and get out of things just because he's had a rubbish night. It happens to us all and he should still go to school even if he's a bit peaky. Letting them have time off with spurious illnesses just encourages them to do it all the more, and kids need to know where the boundaries are.

If the nightmares are recurring then it may be symptomatic of an underlying problem, especially if home life is very unsettled, but it's still important to keep a normal life going. Allowing kids to wallow doesn't do anyone any good.
  • Options
    its good for their future work ethic to go in to school and try and carry on even if you dont feel 100%
  • Options
    I hardly ever went to school but ALWAYS go to work, I don't think the two correlate.
  • Options
    yeah that may be true. I pretty much always went to school, and my work ethic is pretty shit.

It does sound like it should work though
  • Options
    I think if you're looking at using us to points-score against your child's mother you've come to the wrong place.

^^^ This.