Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dull looking hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know what kinds of things I should be eating, or doing, to get brighter hair? After being at uni for a while, i look at my hair compared to everyone at home and its just horrible, dull and washed out.

Im guessing its to do with nutrition but i dont really eat anything that different to what i would get at home. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Water. Lots and lots and lots of water.
  • Options
    clarifying shampoo?

The best thing to brighten up your hair, is to put some hairdye through it, similar to your natural colour
  • Options
    Are there any particularly good shampoos i can use? I use herbal essences at the moment but not the one for dull hair. Are there any better ones than that?
  • Options
    Not Herbal Essences.

I have found the John Frieda Root Awakening one to be very good. Made my hair (which, before I got it chopped, had a tendency to be fucking irritating) all soft and nice and smooth.

Also try shine serums.
  • Options
    Thanks :) Even though i have a whole new bottle of herbal essences shampoo :yeees: I'll just get a good conditioner when i run out and use them together
  • Options
    That's a good plan.

I used to use Herbal Essences but I've definitely found that the higher quality stuff (John Frieda etc, not necessarily the superexpensive stuff that I used to buy that was £30 for half the amount (for a shampoo bottle and a conditioner bottle, not per bottle :p)) does wonders for my hair now.
  • Options
    I like Aussie, but I use the one for coloured hair not sure what the rest of the range is like.
  • Options
    Herbal essences totally washed my hair out, as much as I love the smells :( I find pantene products work best on my hair and make it shiney. I also use paul mitchells super skinny serum. Just run a few blobs through my hair before drying. It's expensive but super concentrated so a big bottle will last me about a year or more and thats using it every other day. You can usually find it cheaper on ebay which is what I do. Also don't over-wash and avoid washing it in really hot water, the cooler the better!
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Lexi,
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Im guessing its to do with nutrition
    Water. Lots and lots and lots of water.
    :yes: diet and health can definitely have an effect on the strength, health and appearance of your hair. Some people find that eating healthily and cutting out processed food helps. Other people may recommend taking vitamins and if you google it there are loads of tips on the best foods to eat but as everyone's hair is different but it is best to speak to your GP or a nutritionist to find out what to eat/take.

Have you asked anyone at your hairdressing salon about it? They might have some handy hints and tips. They may recommend that you get it cut more frequently as this can improve the appearance.

Here are a few similar question asked on TheSite which might help: Dry hair and Hair raising. There are also some (slightly strange) DIY hair treatments that maybe worth a go if you are feeling brave :)
  • Options
    Also try running cold water over your hair before you get out of the shower (also good for skin!).
  • Options
    If you have a build up of products in your hair or if its dry this can give an appearance of being Dull, And if your hair is curly it does not reflect the light as straight hair does.
    If u know u are eating a dire diet u should maybe get some vitamins for skin hair and nails what i would suggest thou as a hairdresser is have a trim and maybe a wash in out semi colour in the meantime, and do not use hot water to wash hair and only use heat appliances when desperate x
  • Options
    lol, sorry this isn't helpful but brought back a memory that made me laugh. When i was younger someone told me that washing your hair with salad cream made it really shiny, so i did this for around 3months before my mum found out and went nuts at me. My sisters called me "lettuce head" for weeks.
  • Options
    lol, sorry this isn't helpful but brought back a memory that made me laugh. When i was younger someone told me that washing your hair with salad cream made it really shiny, so i did this for around 3months before my mum found out and went nuts at me. My sisters called me "lettuce head" for weeks.

haha, awwwh.

trust me to ask the really obvious question but do you think you're straightening/curling your hair too much?

hot oil treatments are pretty good i've found too
  • Options
    haha, awwwh.

trust me to ask the really obvious question but do you think you're straightening/curling your hair too much?

hot oil treatments are pretty good i've found too

I never straighten, curl or blow dry my hair, only on very very very rare occassions. I like the wave my hair naturally waves so i leave it like that.

I do like my hot showers though so i dont wanna get rid of them
  • Options
    well by your last post u are doing a great job just use a teeny tiny bit of serum throu the ends when completley dry. as i said a curl does not reflect the light as straight hair does, u could get a colour semi as near to your own to make it a bit more shiny but honestley hot shower water will make your hair dull. x
  • Options
    After being at uni for a while, i look at my hair compared to everyone at home and its just horrible, dull and washed out.

Maybe the water you wash with is different at uni to home? This can make a difference.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Maybe the water you wash with is different at uni to home? This can make a difference.

Hmm i dunno maybe. I'm going to get a good shampoo and conditioner next time i go shopping and see if that helps.
  • Options
    Genetic engineering.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Genetic engineering.

Seriously though i only ever notice it when i've been away for the family a while and come back so it must be something im doing different
  • Options
    Hmm i dunno maybe. I'm going to get a good shampoo and conditioner next time i go shopping and see if that helps.

I think there are shampoos for hard water areas if that's what it's like at uni. If you can afford it, Lush shampoos are very lovely and they last a long time because you don't need much.
  • Options
    Im in cambridge, is that a hard water area anyone know?
  • Options

Seriously though i only ever notice it when i've been away for the family a while and come back so it must be something im doing different

Maybe it's just the age. My and my cousins hair (pretty much identical) used to be way more red and powerful and over the years they've become brighter or faded, orange-ish/blonde-ish.