Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Taking the eucharist and being ill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I have some food issues and they've got pretty bad lately.

I live in an Anglo-Catholic seminary and get up every morning for Morning Prayer (it does me some good, actually), but since I started being sick after breakfast I'm not sure I should take the Eucharist after Morning Prayer. I used to love staying for Mass and people have started noticing that I walk out between prayer and mass (which is ok, they're separate services).

I don't really know what I think about this. Living with Catholics, they all observe the Eucharistic Fast (not eating for an hour before Mass) so I think from the point of view of the people I'm in community with I'm doing the right thing. I just can't bear not taking communion.

I'm talking around in circles I know. I feel... crap about this.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not too sure what you're asking.

If you're not taking communion because of sickness, that's probably sensible, to avoid spreading the lurgy as much as anything. I won't take the Blood of Christ when I'm ill, especially with cold sores, out of common courtesy.

If you're making yourself sick, that's a different thing. I don't think taking communion would make a massive amount of difference if you're dealing with disordered eating, the host is generally tiny.

As for observing the Eucharistic fast, I think that comes down to personal taste and whether or not you can get up early enough to have breakfast. The Eucharistic fast is getting shorter all the time so I wouldn't worry too much if you're not pious enough to observe it, it wasn't so long ago it was 12 hours or even 24 hours before communion. When my dad was a boy it wasn't allowed to eat on the morning before Mass. Tell the ones who complain that they're slacking if they're only observing an hour's fast ;)
  • Options
    I meant, really, is it OK to be sick after taking the Eucharist. I'm assuming it's better not to take it if there's a risk of throwing it up.
  • Options
    From a religious point of view there's nothing wrong with it, I imagine it happens a lot when Eucharist is administered during the last rites. From a stomach point of view I don't think a small amount of host will really make much difference to you, and in some ways it might be better to have some food on your stomach before you are sick.
  • Options
    From a religious point of view there's nothing wrong with it, I imagine it happens a lot when Eucharist is administered during the last rites. From a stomach point of view I don't think a small amount of host will really make much difference to you, and in some ways it might be better to have some food on your stomach before you are sick.
    It's good to hear that. I suppose, if I'm honest, I'm not taking the Eucharist because I don't feel like I should when I have the intention of making myself sick. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of real presence.

So I guess this is my own little theological moment. I live in a house with two chapels and seven priests, which is also attached to the parish church; I probably have enough people to talk with this about if I can find the courage.
  • Options
    If you're deliberately making yourself sick then that is a slightly different matter, as it could be construed as desecration of the Eucharist. Certainly doing things like spitting the Eucharist out would be taken that way. I guess it comes down to how long after Mass you do make yourself sick, however if you're doing it deliberately I'd probably take the view that you're best off not taking Eucharist. Especially if you're not sure about transubstantiation.
  • Options
    If you're deliberately making yourself sick then that is a slightly different matter, as it could be construed as desecration of the Eucharist. Certainly doing things like spitting the Eucharist out would be taken that way. I guess it comes down to how long after Mass you do make yourself sick, however if you're doing it deliberately I'd probably take the view that you're best off not taking Eucharist. Especially if you're not sure about transubstantiation.

That's what I thought. I miss it, but I daren't take it.
  • Options
    I think you should discuss it with a priest when there's next a confessional session. They'd probably be able to give you far more of an idea about it all, whether it is something that God would take a dim view, etc etc.

It sounds like it is making you feel worried, so for that reason you're best off avoiding it, but do talk to a priest about it, or a canonical law scholar maybe if you know one.

I know I've felt better when I've talked about things like that with a priest.
  • Options
    I think you should discuss it with a priest when there's next a confessional session. They'd probably be able to give you far more of an idea about it all, whether it is something that God would take a dim view, etc etc.

It sounds like it is making you feel worried, so for that reason you're best off avoiding it, but do talk to a priest about it, or a canonical law scholar maybe if you know one.

I know I've felt better when I've talked about things like that with a priest.
    I don't know when they have Confession in the house. I'm not a Catholic so I've never been offered it, but that does sensible.
  • Options
    As a non catholic are they ok with you taking the Eucharist anyway? Most Catholics don't appreciate it because of the whole holy spirit thing. When wife comes to mass with me she only takes a blessing.
  • Options
    As a non catholic are they ok with you taking the Eucharist anyway? Most Catholics don't appreciate it because of the whole holy spirit thing. When wife comes to mass with me she only takes a blessing.
    I'm using Catholic as shorthand, and because that's the term used here, but they're Anglo- not Roman and I was baptised and confirmed in the Anglican church.
  • Options
    Best bet really would be to talk it over with someone there, by the sounds of it it's as much to do with the reaction of the community you are living in as anything else.

Even in there's not confession organised as such, I'm sure someone would be very happy to talk over the situation with you, if you feel up to asking them to.

There's always the option of staying for the service and just going up and taking the blessing if you don't feel you want to take communion.
  • Options
    There's always the option of staying for the service and just going up and taking the blessing if you don't feel you want to take communion.
    They don't seem to offer a blessing, there are only 2 servers and they are holding the elements. The children in the congregation just don't go forward.
  • Options
    you could always pray and ask god to let you know what hed like you to do
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    They don't seem to offer a blessing, there are only 2 servers and they are holding the elements. The children in the congregation just don't go forward.
    Cross your arms, bow your head and the one with the host with do some random hand waft over your head, with host in hand if that happens to be where it is.