Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

GP's: Are they all useless?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I need some decent help. Last month I went to my local GP's, as I am suffering from what I think to be severe depression, paranoia and I cut myself. Very frequently.

I'm 19. I went into the doctors, and he took no interest whatsoever. It took me enough time to pluck up the courage to book an appoinment, and when I was in there I was REALLY anxious.

He put me on low end anti-depressants called Fluoxetine, 20MG. After 1 month treatment on that, nothing. In fact, I feel WORSE. 4 more doses and I have to renew. I should book a doctors appointment today.

With a doctor that questions whether I am just attention seeking or not, tosses me aside and treats me like a statistic, why should I give a damn anymore? I'm starting to think maybe I don't need to change. I cut; so what? It helps me feel better.

I'm going to stop taking those meds. They don't help.

Just had to vent here.
Hi btw, this is my first post. My name is Joel.

Comments

• Options
    Some are useless. I have a fantastic GP. You can ask for a second opinion if you want.
  • Options
    Fluoxetine is quite often the first AD for GPs to try. Also - quite often it can take 6 weeks for you to feel an effect. Was this not explained to you? Were any types of talking therapies mentioned?
  • Options
    They can only work on the information you give them. What did you tell them, what did you say that you wanted from them? If you don't know what you want then how can they give you what you want?

Generally sticking you on a low dose of fluoxetine is the standard first appointment procedure. If the low dose isn't working tell your doctor and they can either increase the dose or give you another drug and refer you onwards to other sources of help. But you have to give them something to go on.

Some GPs are better than others at "getting" depression, but I seriously doubt that you were treated as "another statistic". But it's pretty hard to get to the bottom of everything in a 10 minute appointment.
  • Options
    It isn't that they are useless, its that they get extra money from drug companies for prescribing their drug, so if you turn up there with depression which can be treated with drugs - your GP will see a nice way of making that little bit extra cash, the more people put on that drug, the more cash your GP gets. You want treatment, they want money, if they don't prescibe it they loose out = Simple and cynical but true.
  • Options
    Also, Fluoxetine is an SSRI and they can take up to 6 weeks to work on the symptoms of depression. If you have anxiety or paranoia alongside that it may take longer.

Go back to your GP, continue the conversation. From what you've said, they've done nothing wrong so far. Unfortunately treating a complex illness can't happen overnight.

Edit: P.S. if you need more than 10 minutes you can always talk to your GP about having at least 1 double appointment. Usually they have to do that themselves, the receptionists often won't, but you should ask.
  • Options
    I had a bad GP once, it took great courage to say how I felt, and from the off he made it very clear that he was 30mins behind schedule and wanted me back out his door ASAP. We went through the mental health questionnaire with him pretty much answering his own questions, so apparently I was "fine". I went back to see a different doctor and she was lovely, made me feel like she had plenty of time and really wanted to help.

So, if you aren't happy with yours, I'd say try another GP, there are some nice, caring ones out there!
  • Options
    Blacksheep wrote: »
    It isn't that they are useless, its that they get extra money from drug companies for prescribing their drug, so if you turn up there with depression which can be treated with drugs - your GP will see a nice way of making that little bit extra cash, the more people put on that drug, the more cash your GP gets. You want treatment, they want money, if they don't prescibe it they loose out = Simple and cynical but true.

It's not true. That is a very dangerous accusation you are making.

Any GP receiving money from a drug company for prescribing a specific drug would be struck off.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    It's not true. That is a very dangerous accusation you are making.

Any GP receiving money from a drug company for prescribing a specific drug would be struck off.

:yes:
  • Options
    It isn't that they are useless, its that they get extra money from drug companies for prescribing their drug.
    Absolutely not, no way not ever.

Some GPs are very hesitant to medicate a first episode of depression at all, although it is increasingly standard practice.
  • Options
    Piccolo and PH are pretty much spot on here.

You should have been asked to complete a questionnaire, this is designed to "score" the level of depression/anxiety (often they will use GAD7) and from this they determine the treatment which you should offer.

This is where clinical guidance comes into play.

The GP will usually start you on an SSRI, which one depends on this score. Each SSRI takes about six weeks before it has some impact. This is what is called "First Line" treatment. If this medication doesn't work then they will try "Second Line", or in otherwords an different SSRI, usually slightly stronger.

When it comes to depression/anxiety (hard to separate the two), treatment isn't straight forward. There are many SSRIs and there are alternative treatments including "talking therapy" (counselling) but each depends on the individual patient. They can also take some time before they work fully.
  • Options
    Piccolo and PH are pretty much spot on here.

You should have been asked to complete a questionnaire, this is designed to "score" the level of depression/anxiety (often they will use GAD7) and from this they determine the treatment which you should offer.

This is where clinical guidance comes into play.

The GP will usually start you on an SSRI, which one depends on this score. Each SSRI takes about six weeks before it has some impact. This is what is called "First Line" treatment. If this medication doesn't work then they will try "Second Line", or in otherwords an different SSRI, usually slightly stronger.

When it comes to depression/anxiety (hard to separate the two), treatment isn't straight forward. There are many SSRIs and there are alternative treatments including "talking therapy" (counselling) but each depends on the individual patient. They can also take some time before they work fully.

:yes:

My doctor asked me to fill out the questionnaire before anything else, then when I went back to see him he went through the questionnaire with me and went from there. He gave me the option of counselling and medication and asked me which I would prefer.
  • Options

That fucking questionnaire :yeees:.

I am having mixed feelings about GPs right now. I saw one yesterday because I needed various things done, and even though I got seen fairly close to my actual appointment time, I still felt a bit rushed. I got everything I went in there for easily, with very little argument, and he even gave me antibiotics for my stomach, but the whole time I was in there I felt like I wasn't really being listened to. It was like, 'here, take the questionnaire, fill it in, yes you can double your ADs, yes you can have sleeping pills, yes I will refer you to get that lump removed, ok you can leave now'. Eh.
  • Options
    In my expierence, they want to handy out there happy pills and then you never see them for months.
  • Options
    In most cases my GP was useless. But, they are at first line of health system and we must accept that fact. But, when you go next time to your GP try to write questions before and be patient. Good luck!

mrsa infection
  • Options
    I am having mixed feelings about GPs right now. I saw one yesterday because I needed various things done, and even though I got seen fairly close to my actual appointment time, I still felt a bit rushed.
    I think that's just the bitch of ten minute appointments. I have a close friend who's a GP who hates the constant balancing act of trying to give people the time they need without getting behind.

His advice was always to make an appointment as soon as you think you need one and use the little-and-often principle to manage long-term needs. Also to try and see the same doctor regularly if you can.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I think that's just the bitch of ten minute appointments. I have a close friend who's a GP who hates the constant balancing act of trying to give people the time they need without getting behind.

His advice was always to make an appointment as soon as you think you need one and use the little-and-often principle to manage long-term needs. Also to try and see the same doctor regularly if you can.
    Nope, I've had doctors who didn't do that and have stuck to the ten minutes.

He was just rubbish.
  • Options
    He was just rubbish.
    Rubbish or having a bad day. I hate not feeling listened to! Make sure you do go back after a couple of weeks, though. Just see someone else!
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Rubbish or having a bad day. I hate not feeling listened to! Make sure you do go back after a couple of weeks, though. Just see someone else!
    Will see how the Sertraline goes. Double the dose might be interesting for a while :/
  • Options
    Will see how the Sertraline goes. Double the dose might be interesting for a while :/
    I'm not a massive Sertraline fan, but I don't get on with SSRIs so I'm not a good judge. I think it's worth going, even if they haven't made a marked difference in about 3-4 weeks at the latest, because they need to know that as well.

Any adverse effects at all, it goes without saying that you should just take an emergency appointment and go back. I ignored an allergic reaction to Prozac for a couple of days and that was silly.
  • Options
    Are you sure? - I always thought GPs got commission from pharmaceutical companies!
  • Options
    Are you sure? - I always thought GPs got commission from pharmaceutical companies!

Nope, not a penny. Like I say, they would be struck off.

They cannot enter any arrangement where their clinical approach might be undermined by financial gain.
  • Options
    jungo87 wrote: »
    In my expierence, they want to handy out there happy pills and then you never see them for months.

I've had the opposite experience - GP didn't offer me any medication and said he wouldn't. This is the same GP who actually bothered to send me for tests on my neck instead of just giving me painkillers.
  • Options
    They do get free biros and mugs from drugs companies though :d
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »

So do I though and I can't prescribe anything.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    So did I when I worked in the students' union. Drug companies will give anything to anyone :yes:
  • Options
    I'm drinking tea out of a drug company's mug at the minute.
  • Options
    We have a large selection of contractors mugs around the office, it's just advertising, we give you mugs then hope our drug/company/product comes to mind when you want something along those lines.
  • Options
    I want a mug :(
  • Options
    Do you want a Payplan mug, a LTC condoms mug or a Sports Direct mug?
  • Options
    Condoms mug :D