Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jamie's 30 minute thingy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just watched this the other day, and saw this recipe:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/stuffed-cypriot-chicken-pan-fried-aspara

Ommmmm nom nom it looked amazing! Has anyone got the book/cooked anything from this series?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah we have the book and it's pretty good. It must be, because my 17-y-o is the one whom uses it the most.

Not sure where the "30 minutes" bit comes from though :chin:
  • Options
    Make sure you order in several crates of fine olive oil whenever make anything from that. He's mad for his olive oil!
  • Options
    On another note, that websites pretty good! Gonna give some of these a bash!
  • Options
    Someone in the Guardian (though I can't find the article) tested a bunch.
    Conclusion was that it's good but none of them take 30 minutes.

I used to cook from Nigel Slater's Real Fast Food and most of that takes less than 45 mins.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Got the book. The Piri Piri Chicken and Sea Bass recipe are best so far.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I saw it on BBC Watchdog - Anne was on the case that they take far longer than 30 mins!
  • Options
    30 mins is pretty optimistic.

From experience of general cooking, not from that book in particular, is there's a lot you can do in 45, and very very little you can do in 30.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Not sure where the "30 minutes" bit comes from though :chin:

It's how long the programe is :)
  • Options

LOL tis true!!
  • Options
    Yeah, but it does kind of imply you could also actually cook them in 30 mins, which definitely isn't the case.
  • Options
    Doesn't just imply, it flat out says you can make all the courses in 30 minutes (hence the name).

We've got the book. Recipes are pretty good, but like others have found, unless you're a professional chef, you're having a giraffe if you think it'll be done in half an hour.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Doesn't just imply, it flat out says you can make all the courses in 30 minutes (hence the name).

We've got the book. Recipes are pretty good, but like others have found, unless you're a professional chef, you're having a giraffe if you think it'll be done in half an hour.

:yes:

I haven't made anything yet, but I have watched it. I'd probably mess the whole meal up if I tried to do it all in 30 minutes.
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Make sure you order in several crates of fine olive oil whenever make anything from that. He's mad for his olive oil!

Yeah, cooking his meals is rarely cheap. He uses top quality ingredients very liberally. He's always got about £20 worth of herbs hanging about, and won't think twice about using £4 worth of parmesan cheese or £10 worth of prosciutto.

ETA: I remember him doing a "quick" roast dinner in which he must have had about £50 of fillet steak.
  • Options
    Yeah, cooking his meals is rarely cheap. He uses top quality ingredients very liberally. He's always got about £20 worth of herbs hanging about, and won't think twice about using £4 worth of parmesan cheese or £10 worth of prosciutto.

I've noticed that. The quality and number of ingredients he uses, and their cost, would make most of his meals max out my budget on the Monday alone. Obviously, it's a 30 minute meal for people like him, worth around £65 million. :)

As an aside, it's olive oil and lemons that seem to be his favourite additions to his meals. Puts them on almost everything!
  • Options
    I made the stuffed chicken the other day, it was gorgeous!!!
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I made the stuffed chicken the other day, it was gorgeous!!!

Out of interest, how long did it take?
  • Options
    well, i only did the chicken and not the side dish (i did mash instead) and it took me about 20mins