Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Improving mental health....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
but unemployment tricky.

This crosses over with work, but looking for thoughts. Since being ill at university I have engaged with my local MIND since university and things have improved a great deal.

They have courses on all the time through lottery funding.

I graduated in 2007 and have worked a little bit since university, but mainly voluntary stuff.

Generally I feel my mental health is ok. I saw the consultant 3 weeks ago and he's reduced the anti-psychotic I take (diagnosis of schizophrenia) after psychotic episodes in first and third year of uni.

He said he thought I'd probably be ok in terms of work as I'm pretty stable. I mean it's tricky to know what to do for the best in terms of being unemployed and making the transition. It's not easy to get a job at the moment after the credit crunch, so I'm not trying that hard and more concentrating on doing courses at MIND. I see an employment adviser from the Richmond Fellowship. I think part-time is the best way to start.

It's just tricky - the actual process of looking for work isn't exactly fun, but I think it's about balalncing looking for part time work with continuing to do productive courses at MIND.

Hopefully once I finish an advice and guidance course I am doing I'll get a job in that area as I like this work having been doing it voluntarily.

I think I've generally done the right things since university, but life for many has become more dificult since the credit cunch.

Any thoughts given the financial climate isn't great ?
What could be a good course of action ?

Comments

• Options
    It looks like you have a longterm plan in terms of utilising your time with MIND to go into guidance and counselling in the future but you seem tentative to go out in to the world of work, which is understandable.

Although there is a pretty rubbish economic climate, I think if you are willing to do most things, and haven't got anything holding you back, to get employment. If you're looking for just about anything then pubs, restaurants and bars are nearly always on the look out as well as maybe trying some job search websites such as monsterjobs might be a way forward. Googling some local job agencies might also get you in line for some office work to tide you over. Although work isn't guaranteed, the best way forward is probably putting out as many feelers - applying for jobs where they arise and seeing what comes of it.

If anything, despite the climate you should try as hard as possible or this will become an excuse to avoid work. It's not meant to be a fun process sadly and hopefully you'll get something you really enjoy but it's beneficial to get out there and get into work.

What nature are the courses? Are you taking a large number of courses and are they all heading towards this guidance counselling role? I don't know the nature of said courses but make sure you're not replacing going out and working with doing lots of courses that yes will look great, but not if you're not using them. Are the courses, and the times that they're on going to hinder your chances of being employed?
  • Options
    ^^ what she said, i agree :yes:
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm doing an NVQ in Advice and Guidance at a local college.

The courses I do at MIND are more to do with learning about mental health to get better and stay well. I think they have made a big difference.

http://www.wirralmind.org.uk/

You can see some of the courses they run on this page. I've found them very helpful for learning and recovery.

As for work I think I've already learned a lot about mental health so hopefully I wouldn't have any major problems. But it's a bit worrying as I've met people at MIND who have had problems because of their jobs
  • Options
    I never had major problems, although my line manager was unsympathetic. I'm sure you know this, but it is best to disclose on the disability/equal opps section of the form before you apply. That should be separated from the bit that the shortlisting team and interview panel see so it won't prejudice your application, but it allows them to make arrangements with you as soon as you start when you're offered a job.
  • Options
    Yeah I know about disclosing it, but then you hear stories about stigma. But there's the Disability Discrimination Act. What worries me is potential stress and the fact I'm doing well now and don't want anything to change in that respect. As long as I'm sensible and am self-aware hopefully there will be no problems.