Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

At what age is it appropriate to throw public tantrums?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=145923

My last thread about my tantrums at work :)

Comments

• Options
    Ummmmm 4 years old
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Ummmmm 4 years old

The Simpsons are going back in time.
    -Homer

Too bad i ain't never gonna be 4 again.
  • Options
    depends really. If youve got certain special needs and you cant help it then while its not really appropriate, its not really about age.
  • Options
    If you think that that behaviour is appropriate then either you're a jerk or you're autistic. It might be a good idea for you to think about which one is more likely.
  • Options
    Our daughter is about 18 months. She'll be too old for tantrums, soon.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »

This, hell my son of 7 months foes tantrum,
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »

tell that to my 10 year old!!
  • Options
    tell that to my 10 year old!!

serious? Then again, I'm 21 and I still do that...as described above, although more than half the time, I get passive aggresive.
  • Options
    my son is autistic ;)
  • Options
    Without extenuating circumstances, you can get away with the odd one up to about the age kids start school.

Beyond that point, there's definitely an underlying problem.
  • Options
    i must say though Mist, at 18mths, the worst is still yet to come
  • Options
    Without extenuating circumstances, you can get away with the odd one up to about the age kids start school.

Beyond that point, there's definitely an underlying problem.
    My little sister will be nine in a couple of weeks and she still has them fairly regularly.

But then, she's a spoilt brat and things.
  • Options
    I know a 13yr old who still has tantrums, and my 11 yr old def does. You can get away with it if you are a child, otherwise no- or you are child like.
  • Options
    Think this might kind of depend on your definition of tantrum.

I was thinking the lying on the floor, hands pouding, legs kicking and screaming.
  • Options
    Think this might kind of depend on your definition of tantrum.

I was thinking the lying on the floor, hands pouding, legs kicking and screaming.

The kind I was referring to is the grown up style. Yelling at someone or screaming obscenities, hurling stuff against the wall, etc.
  • Options
    The behaviour described does not sound normal. I don't even think that sort of behaviour would be normal in a teenager or child. You need to get over this "I needed an anger outlet" excuse. Everyone gets angry or frustrated now and then, some people have ongoing anger problems but most don't behave like that. You are not the only one who feels angry and its not an excuse to behave like a psychopath.

I'm not surprised that people are reluctant to be friends with you if you are abusive towards them or damage their stuff. How would you feel if someone deliberately damaged one of your possesions and shrugged it of by saying "I needed an anger outlet"?
  • Options
    If you think that that behaviour is appropriate then either you're a jerk or you're autistic. It might be a good idea for you to think about which one is more likely.

This.
  • Options
    I also want to add that there is no such thing as a "grown up" tantrum.
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    The behaviour described does not sound normal. I don't even think that sort of behaviour would be normal in a teenager or child. You need to get over this "I needed an anger outlet" excuse. Everyone gets angry or frustrated now and then, some people have ongoing anger problems but most don't behave like that. You are not the only one who feels angry and its not an excuse to behave like a psychopath.

I'm not surprised that people are reluctant to be friends with you if you are abusive towards them or damage their stuff. How would you feel if someone deliberately damaged one of your possesions and shrugged it of by saying "I needed an anger outlet"?

Well, the coat was damaged, but no one knew it was me. They did know the other stuff I did though and it sucks being ostracized. I remember when the iced tea needs refilled, the container was too heavy to lift and no one was willing to help. Also, they hardly ever called me in and when they did, I was completely ignored. I was also told explicitly not to show up early or stay late, but other ppl were allowed to.
  • Options
    You keep saying all this stuff about how people have ostracised you etc etc, no one wants to talk to you or help you, but its not going to encourage any sympathy for you or justify your actions
  • Options
    Well, the coat was damaged, but no one knew it was me. They did know the other stuff I did though and it sucks being ostracized. I remember when the iced tea needs refilled, the container was too heavy to lift and no one was willing to help. Also, they hardly ever called me in and when they did, I was completely ignored. I was also told explicitly not to show up early or stay late, but other ppl were allowed to.

Well unless there is another psychopath in your workplace I imagine they guessed it was you. You sound absolutely terrifying. I would not want someone like you in my life as I would constantly be worried about your selfish need for "outlets for anger" and whether it would endanger myself or others.

You are not the only person who has felt ostracized at work or life in general. Many people are ostracized and they don't behave like that. Being ostracized does not justify that kind of behaviour. In your case you are probably ostracized because people are scared of you.
  • Options

Given what you've done, are you really that surprised they act the way they do?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Given what you've done, are you really that surprised they act the way they do?

no but it still doen't feel that good lol
  • Options
    no but it still doen't feel that good lol

Well there you go, surely thats an incentive to be a bit more pleasant and not throw tantrums when things dont go your way. This is the kind of thing 4 year olds learn at playschool
  • Options
    I do need Anger Management : p
  • Options
    You definitely do.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey :wave:
    I agree with SuzyCreamCheese, it's not particularly about age, because different people let out their anger and frustration in different ways, however it is probably less socially acceptable the older you get as when you become an adult people may expect you to be able to handle and manage your anger in a more mature way.
    stoned_angel432 - You may have seen this before, but if you have recognised that you need anger management, this article about Dealing with Anger is a good place to start. It will give you some hints and tips about how to control it yourself.

You mentioned in your last thread in the work forum that you were seeking or thinking about seeking professional help, is this something you are still doing? Is it helping?

LauraO
  • Options
    LauraO wrote: »
    Hey :wave:
    I agree with SuzyCreamCheese, it's not particularly about age, because different people let out their anger and frustration in different ways, however it is probably less socially acceptable the older you get as when you become an adult people may expect you to be able to handle and manage your anger in a more mature way.

stoned_angel432 - You may have seen this before, but if you have recognised that you need anger management, this article about Dealing with Anger is a good place to start. It will give you some hints and tips about how to control it yourself.

You mentioned in your last thread in the work forum that you were seeking or thinking about seeking professional help, is this something you are still doing? Is it helping?

LauraO

Well I actually started seeing a counselor 2 years ago when Jessica at school didn't wanna be friends. idk my other options since I'm s\till angry easily.
  • Options
    a counsellor isnt anger management
  • Options
    Never, im 19 & still have them lol

obviously not a toddler one on the floor i just shout lol