Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

bike tyres- help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i haven't used my bike for at least two years and i was wondering how do you tell if the tyres/ inner tubes are perished or useable? i have heard people talk about if they haven't used their cycle for awhile it's "perished", i have no experience in this whatsoever. it was kept in a cellar and then a conservatory during this time and was brand new. i know that the cellar at least wasn't completely damp proof from the saddle going all funny but i don't have a clue about the other bits. i don't want to ride it for a couple of miles and then find out it needs bits replacing and im stuck, so any advice would be apreciated please. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Looking at them generally does the trick. Perished rubber looks shagged and if the tyres are gone then you can see massive massive cracks in them. Little ones are fine, its the kind you can stick your finger in that's the problem.

As for the inner tubes, pump them up, if they hold their pressure then they're fine too.
  • Options
    Looking at them generally does the trick. Perished rubber looks shagged and if the tyres are gone then you can see massive massive cracks in them. Little ones are fine, its the kind you can stick your finger in that's the problem.

As for the inner tubes, pump them up, if they hold their pressure then they're fine too.

ok thanks, i will have a look in the morning, do you know what would make them perish? is it damp or something?
  • Options
    inactivity
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    inactivity

thank BG i was worried it would be something like that. It's a bit wierd though, kinda like your bike needs to be used or you make it sad lol
  • Options
    Direct sunlight is the biggest killer, generally damp isn't actually much of a problem.

Don't forget that the chain will need oiling. And whatever you do, don't get oil anywhere near the brakes or the rims.