Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Which Wildlife lens for Canon 450d

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
At the moment I am using the Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III Lens (I think its this one) but I am now in the process of looking for a new lens which will take better close-up photos of wildlife at around 40feet or (much) less or (much) more to take photos of small and large birds such as the Blue-Tit and Golden Eagle and animals such as Deer and the Otter.

I took these photos on full zoom using the above lens. They are not very good because the camera was hand-held and there is no Image Stabilization with the lens.

_MG_0306.jpg
IMG_0341.jpg
_MG_0429.jpg

I was looking at the Tamron AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD IF lens and the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 USM L IS Linky. Would these two lenses be worth considering?

Comments

• Options
    You'll struggle with the Tamron because it's slower than your existing one and longer, so you'll get more shake.

Best would be to go for a fixed aperture, but they can come in expensive at the reach you are looking for.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Some useful resources there ^
  • Options
    Is that your only current lens? I'd suggest considering a 2x converter, which would be much cheaper (especially if you won't be using the full focal length often), but I'd rather have IS and faster glass so upgrading might be a better option.

For a similar price, you could get the 70-200 mm f/2.8L, which is an awesome lens, and a 2x converter. This would give you a great, fast lens with the versatility to get a wide range of shots.

There would be a loss in quality with the converter, and your apperture wouldn't be as wide, but it might be worth considering, depending on your budget and intended use.
  • Options
    I have both the 100-400 and i really don't like the "slide"zoom all that much but the optics are pretty good.My 70-200f/2 is a better lens optically and the zoom is a lot smoother.I have used the 70-200 with a 2x and 1.4x teleconverter and it will outperform the 100-400 even with a teleconverter.
    Oh I am shooting with a 1dsmk2 and a 1dmk2. Yeah i know its time to upgrade.LOL
  • Options
    Is that your only current lens? I'd suggest considering a 2x converter, which would be much cheaper (especially if you won't be using the full focal length often), but I'd rather have IS and faster glass so upgrading might be a better option.

For a similar price, you could get the 70-200 mm f/2.8L, which is an awesome lens, and a 2x converter. This would give you a great, fast lens with the versatility to get a wide range of shots.

There would be a loss in quality with the converter, and your apperture wouldn't be as wide, but it might be worth considering, depending on your budget and intended use.

No it isn't only my current lens I have 2 lenses. I'm looking at more than 300.
  • Options
    No it isn't only my current lens I have 2 lenses. I'm looking at more than 300.
    Okay so what is your other lens?

More than 300? Do you mean the focal length? If so, the point I (and brandi5000) made was that a 70-200 mm with a 2x converter would effectively become a 140-400 mm, but with added versatility and quality.
  • Options
    The other lens is the EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II [(kit lens (No IS)].

I posted a message on a photography website to get more answers about this.

I am now looking at:

Tamron F 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD IF
    Canon ED 100-400mm f/4-5.6 USM L IS
    Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    This might be a possible choice, its also cheap.

I would LOVE to have the Canon 500mm lens but it is out of my budget.

I was also considering about a teleconverter, but I will lose autofocus and have a lower aperture. Also a digiscope, but thats a whole different ball game.
  • Options
    Now thinking about the Canon ED 100-400mm f/4-5.6 USM L IS lens

But I'll look at other lenses when I'm feeling better as I have a bug at the moment.
  • Options
    Now thinking about the Canon ED 100-400mm f/4-5.6 USM L IS lens

But I'll look at other lenses when I'm feeling better as I have a bug at the moment.

I bought a Sigma 50mm prime/macro lens a few years ago. Mainly because it was cheap. It is easily the best lens I own. Now the Sigma zoom might not be any good, it might be worth trying to hire one out and see what it's like.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I bought a Sigma 50mm prime/macro lens a few years ago. Mainly because it was cheap. It is easily the best lens I own. Now the Sigma zoom might not be any good, it might be worth trying to hire one out and see what it's like.

Yeah I might have to hire them out and see what both lenses are like.

I'd rather buy the canon because its a good make, but the downside is that it doesn't have a big zoom unlike the sigma has.

My uncle said to see which lens has the highest number of elements in because the more elements it has, the better the result.

I've seen shots taken with both lenses on Amazon and they both produce good photos. I would personally buy the Sigma then I'll have more of a chance to zoom in very close to - let's say an otter in the sea. But of course I'll have to look in more detail at them both and see which is the 'best' lens which I think will be more suitable for the job I have in mind.