Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kindle font size

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if anyone has a Kindle and could tell me how big the font can be.

I know someone who loves to read but is sadly losing their sight.

I am wondering if a Kindle would be useful as she can no longer read books at all.

Comments

• Options
    Pretty big.

This is the largest font size, there are about 10 options from small enough to get away with in good light (and good sight) to the below which is fricking huge.

I think it only looks chunky and broken up due to it being the dictionary that I had open. Would look better with a normal book I reckon.

111nxy1.jpg
  • Options
    tried books with a magnifying sheet?
  • Options
    Thanks for that G-Raffe, thats really good of you.
    I guess judging by the size of the font it will be worth trying.

She has tryed magnifying sheets Katralla, but she finds them really akward as she has to angle the book towards a really strong light and is always having to adjust the sheet.
    The hospital gave her a really big magnifer with a built in light but even that takes away the pleaseure of reading and makes it a chore.
  • Options
    Bah! It was worth a try. What about audio books, she tried that yet?
  • Options
    Louisek wrote: »
    Thanks for that G-Raffe, thats really good of you.
    I guess judging by the size of the font it will be worth trying.

She has tryed magnifying sheets Katralla, but she finds them really akward as she has to angle the book towards a really strong light and is always having to adjust the sheet.
    The hospital gave her a really big magnifer with a built in light but even that takes away the pleaseure of reading and makes it a chore.

Like I said there are several sizes inbetween.
  • Options
    I've got a Sony e-reader. Advantage over the Kindle is you aren't limited to the Amazon format alone. The font also goes to XXL which is about thissize
  • Options
    See if you can find an actual kindle to look at. They are pretty impressive. Font is flexible and (I think, though I may be remembering wrongly) that you can go landscape if you want.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    See if you can find an actual kindle to look at. They are pretty impressive. Font is flexible and (I think, though I may be remembering wrongly) that you can go landscape if you want.

You can rotate the view of the text any which way you want.
  • Options
    There is also text-to-speech on the Kindle.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    There is also text-to-speech on the Kindle.

This is true, though it may do your head in after a while, as it needs some work on it's naturalness.