Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

You start to feel old when....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Finish the sentence.
you hear kids refer to 90s music as "old music"

Comments

• Options
    you need a hip replacement :p
  • Options
    Policemen look young
  • Options
    You start thinking the kids with the year 11 ties can't POSSIBLY be 16...
  • Options
    you can't remember when your great grandsons birthday is :p
  • Options
    You've no idea how make a call on the Samsung Galaxy :(
  • Options
    12 year old kid calls you "ma'am".
  • Options
    All the popular actors and singers of your childhood start dying of old age.
    personally I felt old when 12 year old kid called me "ma'am".
    I was like WTF, seriously???!!!! =O

If you ever come to Texas, you'll get a lot of that. They "ma'am" and "sir" all the time here (in addition to saying "ya'll", of course xP). Very polite people.
  • Options
    When you see a load of noisy obnoxious teenagers around town and think 1) they're too young to be allowed out by themselves and 2) i was never that rowdy when i was their age.... kids today
  • Options
    When you become the mom in Bowling For Soup's "1985".
  • Options
    you think "where the fuck did all these kids come from?"

and then realise theyre all yours
  • Options

First time I felt old was when some kid said something about 'that woman over there', and I thought.. what woman over where? Then I realised he meant me.

When did I stop being a girl? :crying:

First person to reply 'about 15 years ago' is going to feel the full force of my wrath...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Similar:
    When kids call you "mister" in the street.

When you realise that you can remember very clearly things that happened 10 years ago. Especially if they still feel like "new knowledge".
  • Options
    The Backstreet Boys get back together and go on a greatest hits tour :/
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    First time I felt old was when some kid said something about 'that woman over there', and I thought.. what woman over where? Then I realised he meant me.

When did I stop being a girl? :crying:

hahaha I know right :D it's actually kinda depressing.
    that's why I like it better when people think I'm like 15. it's definitely better than calling you "ma'am".

Similar:
    When kids call you "mister" in the street.

ye, it's sad, things like that make you feel like you're over 40 already.
  • Options
    One more:

When some people insist on speaking to you in plural, even if you've asked them not to. (This doesn't apply to English)
  • Options
    i dont understand?
  • Options
    People who were born on the day you left high school can drink booze legally.
  • Options
    the 7 year old girl i used to babysit for when i was 17 is bloody 23 now. i just saw her on facebook. A grown up!

that feels weird
  • Options
    the 7 year old girl i used to babysit for when i was 17 is bloody 23 now. i just saw her on facebook. A grown up!

that feels weird

I keep finding my little sister's old friends on Facebook and thinking the same thing. "OMG when did you grow up? I haven't gotten any older... have I? D:"
  • Options
    When people 10 years younger than you are contributing to this thread.
  • Options
    One more:

When some people insist on speaking to you in plural, even if you've asked them not to. (This doesn't apply to English)

agreed.

i dont understand?

hmmm, how to explain...
    in some other languages people use plural when speaking to someone older. they basically use totally different form.
    it's a polite way of addressing someone. for exaple - pupils have to use that form when addressing their teacher.

but in english it's just "you are" in all cases anyway... you guys basically use the word YOU while talking to your friend OR your teacher/someone older you dont know. It's not like that everywhere though. some languages use a completely different word for "you" when referring to a friend than when saying that to a teacher.

I'm having hard time explaining this.
    I'm not even sure I explained it at all?
  • Options
    I think you did a pretty good job, Lina. Just in case, here's the most simplified version I can whip up:

In a lot of languages, the pronoun "you" has two forms, a formal and an informal. You'd use the formal term when addressing an authority figure, or someone older than you, especially if you don't know them. The formal "you" is often the same word as the plural "you" (you all).
  • Options
    The "problem" is that in English the word "you" is the same no matter if you're talking to one person or several. It's the same word in both the singular and plural numbers.
    In languages where that's not the case (most, if not all of them, AFAIK) speaking to one person in the plural number is a sign of respect, similar to saying "Mr. Jameson" instead of "Jonah".
  • Options

that feels weird

When I visited the parents for Christmas I saw a wedding invitation for a kid I used to babysit for!
  • Options
    I think you did a pretty good job, Lina. Just in case, here's the most simplified version I can whip up:

In a lot of languages, the pronoun "you" has two forms, a formal and an informal. You'd use the formal term when addressing an authority figure, or someone older than you, especially if you don't know them. The formal "you" is often the same word as the plural "you" (you all).

like vous being used for a plural aswell as formal in french?

Wouldnt you just assume they were using formal rather than plural though?
  • Options
    Well, sure. The point was just that it must mean you're old if people insist on referring to you that way when you don't want them too. xD
  • Options
    i see, i just think its weird to call it the plural, when its clearly meant as the formal
  • Options
    When a song from your childhood comes on the radio at work and everyone you're working with is too young to remember it.
  • Options
    it makes me feel old when I walk into a pub and see people I last saw as Year 10's drinking there legally... and I'm only 22.
  • Options
    i see, i just think its weird to call it the plural, when its clearly meant as the formal
    That's the word used in Greek, in any case. "No need to use the plural with me" etc.