Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

do all tetanus jabs include diphtheria protection?

i am basically trying to sort out my travel vaccinations.

i visited my doctor yesterday but tbh, he wasn't much help. he just told me to look on google to see what i need and book myself in with the nurse :yeees:

anyway, i've pretty much figured that i need the following vaccinations - diphtheria, tetanus, hep a and typhoid.

thing is, when i'm looking online, the tetanus ivaccination seems to be combined with the diphtheria vaccination too. can you get the diphtheria injection on its own?

about a year ago now, i was attacked by a dog in work. i was taken to a&e and i was given a tetanus injection. now, i have no idea whether this injection included protection for diphtheria. as it was in a&e and the fact i've just changed doctors (and they still don't have my history on their system), the docs have no idea either.

if i request to have it and have a second dose, will it make me poorly?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the nurse goes through it all with you anyway if it works the same way as mine, so she will be able to tell you. She will ask you stuff like where you are going and double check what jabs you need on the MASTA website. Have you considered Maleria protection too?
  • Options
    i've checked what jabs i need on the masta website and they are the ones i've mentionned. i have considered malaria protection yeah but i don't think we need it as we aren't going near the northern border.

i just need to know that if the standard tetanus jab also includes vaccine for diphtheria. i know that i am covered for tetanus as i had the vaccine about a year ago. just worried that if i have a second dose i'll become ill.
  • Options
    If it's any reassurance, they whack me with the standard tetanus one on a regular basis at the GP and travel clinic at work, and hasn't made me ill yet. I can never remember if the diptheria is in that one, or the sugar cube one, or the other one they dole out.

Have been massively over vaccinated, and the only one I've ever had a problem with is BCG.
  • Options
    ahhhhh alright :)

have got myself booked in with a nurse next monday so hopefully i'll have them all sorted then! hate needles though :grump:
  • Options
    Nurses are much better on vaccinations than doctors.