Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hot Chocolate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is something which I have always struggled with and - unless I buy it from a coffee shop - I just cannot seem to get right.

How can I make a decent, creamy hot chocolate, without lumps of powder?

Comments

• Options
    Are you using the powdered type that you just add water too ? If so - mini whisk. We got a 'hot chocolate gift box' one Christmas and it had a miniature balloon whisk in it. Lump free chocolate everytime. I also put in about 2/3 of the water at first o the mug doesn't fill up too much, gives you more room to give it a good whisking, then top up the rest of the water.
  • Options
    Ooh another hot chocolate thread. Melt chocolate in milk, simple! Tis the only way.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Ooh another hot chocolate thread. Melt chocolate in milk, simple! Tis the only way.

This.

Use a big bar of galaxy or similar and melt it into the milk. Calorific but yummy as hell :thumb:

Edit: If you insist on using powder then what I have done in the past is put the powder in the cup, mix in a small amount of milk to make the powder into a paste. Once it is all mixed, add the rest of the milk and whisk it (with a fork if you don't have the mini whisks) whist adding in the milk and you should have a smooth hot chocolate :D
  • Options
    i want to get some of that Italian hot chocolate, you know the really thick one? but not sure of brand names :/
  • Options
    This.

Use a big bar of galaxy or similar and melt it into the milk. Calorific but yummy as hell :thumb:

Edit: If you insist on using powder then what I have done in the past is put the powder in the cup, mix in a small amount of milk to make the powder into a paste. Once it is all mixed, add the rest of the milk and whisk it (with a fork if you don't have the mini whisks) whist adding in the milk and you should have a smooth hot chocolate :D
    :yes:.
  • Options
    Actually using chocolate is too much for me. I have a sweet tooth but goodness.

Generally I putthe powder in a milkpan and add a little bit of milk or water to make it into a paste, and then I put the rest of the milk or water into the pan and heat, using a whisk to make sure that everything dissolves. Pouring boiling water onto the powder in a mug just makes it lumpy, it's worth taking the time to do it in a pan IMHO. If you use cocoa rather than hot chocolate it makes it less lumpy too, but you'll want to add sugar. I prefer bitter hot chocolate so I like it with cocoa instead.

I don't like coffee shop hot chocolate because they never use enough powder.
  • Options
    And use a mint candy cane to stir it all up. :yum:
  • Options
    hot chocolate at home is always a disappointment :( although my other half has a coffee machine with a milk frother which makes it all fluffy and nice. at my work we use syrup instead of powder so it's easier to mix in without getting powder lumps.
  • Options
    this thread has just MADE me make myself a hot chocolate.

with marshmallows. oh yessssss. yum!
  • Options
    I lik having a nice hot mug of cocoa at home, it's just lovely.

Mind, I do have a nice big bottle of Cointreau which improves the experience :yes:
  • Options
    Does it make any difference if you put the water into the mug first and then add the powder?
  • Options
    It makes it a lot harder for the powder to dissolve properly and mix in with the water. It's the same as when you put a teabag into hot water, rather than the other way around; things just don't brew properly.

The key to dissolving any powder is to make a paste and slowly add more liquid into it, stirring all the time. That's the best way to make instant coffee too, put the milk in before the hot water and mix the coffee into a paste. Stops the coffee being scorched by the boiling water.
  • Options
    It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I'm going for the melted chocolate option today. If I put weight on, I'm coming after you all...
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    If I put weight on, I'm coming after you all...

But a bit more slowly than before :p
  • Options
    this thread has just MADE me make myself a hot chocolate.

with marshmallows. oh yessssss. yum!

Ha, I had to do the same, but with a powder mix that comes with those stale little marshmellows that disolve right away... and water... and put the water in first. Rebellious.

With a candy cane.
  • Options
    I don't know if I've said this somewhere else before, but if you get a twix, bite off both ends, put one end in the chocolate and suck through the other it is AMAZING! The biscuit dissolves, then the chocolate melts and makes an altogether euphoric experience. Try it! Comes with a money back guarantee ;)
  • Options
    I don't know if I've said this somewhere else before, but if you get a twix, bite off both ends, put one end in the chocolate and suck through the other it is AMAZING! The biscuit dissolves, then the chocolate melts and makes an altogether euphoric experience. Try it! Comes with a money back guarantee ;)

Oh, you are just full of yummy and yet bad dietary advice.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    But a bit more slowly than before :p

With more wheezing and grabbing my own chest for once
  • Options

im totally going to try that
  • Options
    whole milk is the best for making creamy hot chocolate. Water stuff is always going to taste a bit watery unless you put extra milk powder in.
  • Options
    It makes it a lot harder for the powder to dissolve properly and mix in with the water. It's the same as when you put a teabag into hot water, rather than the other way around; things just don't brew properly.

The key to dissolving any powder is to make a paste and slowly add more liquid into it, stirring all the time. That's the best way to make instant coffee too, put the milk in before the hot water and mix the coffee into a paste. Stops the coffee being scorched by the boiling water.

Coffee tastes so much better with the milk being put in first.

I'm now craving hot chocolate and we don't have any. :(
  • Options
    Just to say, you are all bad people and I shall be telling my dieticians about you.

In other news, just made a cracking hot chocolate. Shame I didn't have any marshmallows/whipped cream.
  • Options
    Or twixes? Didja make it with melted chocolate, the way god intended? Did you, MoK? Did you?
    When I was a scout, they did it with sweetened condensed milk too. Man, that was good.
  • Options
    Just the standard carmel twix? What size? Oh I bet it would be delicious with the java one too.

And how much s.c.m? I think you shall make us all a bit hefty, Evanstar, with your delicious sounding ideas.
  • Options
    A normal size Twix, tho extra large is even better. You can do it with Flakes as well but they last a manner of seconds. I'm really not sure about proportions, I haven't done it since sixth form and was stoned out of my mind then (FYI adding egg doesnt work :d). I think about a can per pint and a bit.
  • Options
    Sometimes the best recipes come when stoned! (Though often the opposite). Your cans must be much smaller, I think a can here is 10 or 12 oz, that would be too sweet, even for me. :p
  • Options
    Or twixes? Didja make it with melted chocolate, the way god intended? Did you, MoK? Did you?
    When I was a scout, they did it with sweetened condensed milk too. Man, that was good.

I did. Nom.
  • Options
    Hotel Chocolat sells powdered chocolate (not chocolate powder). Melts really quickly....
  • Options
    Double cream.

Just putting that out there.
  • Options
    I am getting angina just reading this thread.

What a delicious way to die though :love: