Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thrush :/

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I have thrush... too embarrassed to tell my mum because I know she'll make me feel guilty, and say it's an STI or something. And I can't be bothered with that.

How much is the cream you can buy? And where can I get it?
Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    I think there's one with a pill and a cream that you can get from the pharmacist?
  • Options
    Your mum shouldn't make you feel guilty - she has probably has it at some point in her life, and so will know that it isn't an STI. Although on that note, you may wanna make sure it definitely isn't an STI if you think there is any risk, as some of the symptoms can be shared.

The cream you should be able to get at a pharmacy, not really sure on the price though. Look for something which contains clotrimazole. May be able to get it free on prescription at a GUM clinic - don't hold me to that though :p

One more thing - although thrush isn't technically a STI, a guy can be infected through sexual contact with his partner. So you might wanna keep that in mind, can be a bit nasty for guys as well.
  • Options
    the pessary and cream is about £11 from the pharmacy - canesten pessary.
    Or you can get it free from the doctor
  • Options
    Ahh okay, thats a bit much tbh! And cant go to the doctors alone, don't know where it is etc.
    is there anything else I can do to get rid of it? I'm vegan so, the natural yoghurt things no use :/ will it ever go away on its own? x
  • Options
    Ahh okay, thats a bit much tbh! And cant go to the doctors alone, don't know where it is etc.
    is there anything else I can do to get rid of it? I'm vegan so, the natural yoghurt things no use :/ will it ever go away on its own? x

What about a clinic?
  • Options
    What about a clinic?

There's the sexual health clinic I get my pills from, could I get it from there?
  • Options
    no it probably wont go on its own, itll probably get worse as its a fungal infection. You really need to get some cream for it. Just tell your mum youve got it and get her to take you to the doctors. Its not an STI, its just one of those things. Every woman gets thrush sometimes.
  • Options
    you might be able to just get some of the cream on its own, and that might be sufficient if the thrush isnt too bad, which will be a lot cheaper - probably under a fiver, especially if you ask for the cheaper generic version rather than actual canesten. Clotrimazole its called
  • Options
    There's the sexual health clinic I get my pills from, could I get it from there?

I would have thought so. You can get tested for thrush at sexual health/GUM clinics so it would make sense if they gave you the treatment for it.
  • Options

Yes. GUM clinics carry a supply of the most common drugs needed to treat STIs.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Yes. GUM clinics carry a supply of the most common drugs needed to treat STIs.

... and other genito-urinary problems
  • Options
    If you get it from a sexual health clinic the treatment is free even if you usually pay for prescriptions. At least it was when I went a few years ago.
  • Options
    if you can get to a supermarket go to the pharmacy and they'll probably have their own version of canesten which is the same stuff but not a brand name. in asda they have their own cream which is about £5 compared to canesten which is about £9. make sure you try and sort it out though, thrush is horrible and it wont go away by itself.xx
  • Options
    If you really can't afford any creams, drinking tons of water is meant to help wash it out - and cranberry juice, although I'd be wary of it's effectiveness. The pessaries do cost a lot, but just the cream won't be so much. I'd also make sure you do a wee straight after sex if you can, which (I don't know why?) helps you stop getting utis if you're prone to them. Men can carry thrush without being affected, so if you are having unprotected sex make sure you get him to use the thrush cream too xxx
  • Options
    Thank you everyone :) Going to the clinic friday anyway, so will speak to them about it then x
  • Options
    hope you got it sorted xxxx
  • Options
    good plan. Hope it doesnt get too sore. It can be really painful if it gets bad
  • Options
    Ohh i know thrush can be nasty, no other advice though than has already been said.

Roll on friday i guess *hug*
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    If you really can't afford any creams, drinking tons of water is meant to help wash it out - and cranberry juice, although I'd be wary of it's effectiveness. The pessaries do cost a lot, but just the cream won't be so much. I'd also make sure you do a wee straight after sex if you can, which (I don't know why?) helps you stop getting utis if you're prone to them. Men can carry thrush without being affected, so if you are having unprotected sex make sure you get him to use the thrush cream too xxx

I think you are confusing thrush and cystitis.

Thrush is a fungal infection caused by overgrowth of yeast - you can get it downstairs in your bits and itcan occur in other warm, moist areas on the body. It is generally associated with a thick, white discharge and itchy discomfort/redness. Bar far the most effective treatments are over the counter antifungal treatments like canesten or diflucan. You can get creams, pessaries (like a giant fanny tablet you can insert in your bits!) and some have a pill you can swallow. I have found pessaries to work quickest. Live, unsweetened yoghurt is said to help but I havent found that to be the case. Its also not that easy to apply :D

Cysitis is essentially inflammation of the urinary tract. It can have an infective cause (A urinary tract infection or UTI) but I believe it can also be caused by other things, tiny tears in the bladder wall. Symptoms include pain when weeing (razorblades!), a frequent feeling that you need to wee and blood in the urine. You can buy sachets of special stuff that change the pH of your urine so it lessens the pain but you have to be a bit careful with cysitis because a UTI left untreated could become worse and effect your kidneys. Cranberry juice is said to help ease symptoms and drinking lots of water to dilute the urine and flush out anything bad in your bladder that might be causing a problem.

Sorry for the essay reply! :D
  • Options
    I was just about to reply they giving mixed advise for thrush, also thrush can be a sexual thing but u can also get it from using antibiotics, and sometimes when your pregnant u can get it because it can change your ph levels down below.
    My advise is go and get treated and aslo your bf needs treatment other wise as soon as u have sex again u gunna be reinfected he probs will have no symtoms at all lol x
  • Options
    actually I believe they dont suggest treating the guy unless he shows symptoms too anymore
  • Options
    Guys hardley have have symptons so i don't know where u heard this i remember when i got it and the doc insisted my hubbi had treatment even thou he insisted he did not have it. x
  • Options
    maybe advice varies from doctor to doctor, but my doctor said that the latest research suggested that symptomless men didnt need to be treated.

Whenever ive had it, ive treated myself, and not my partner, and hes never re-infected me
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    Guys hardley have have symptons so i don't know where u heard this i remember when i got it and the doc insisted my hubbi had treatment even thou he insisted he did not have it. x

In my experiance guys with thrush do show symptons - discharge, soreness, itchyness etc

Although it is not a sti it can obviously be passed back and forth between partners so surely both should treated
  • Options
    yes, both be treated if both have symptoms
  • Options
    And if there's recurrence
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    My advise is go and get treated and aslo your bf needs treatment other wise as soon as u have sex again u gunna be reinfected he probs will have no symtoms at all lol x

The last guy I had sex with is out of my life completely, and I have no intention of contacting him to tell him about thrush.
  • Options
    Thought I'd say, got some thrush cream :) so, fingers crossed, it'll all be okay
  • Options
    hope it clears up quickly x