Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Relationship End

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya all

I'm just writing a quick note to say that my relationship has just ended and wondering if any of you have any advice on how I can maybe save it?

I'm 29 and my ex 36 and we both admit that we have never got along with anyone as well as with each other. We have loads in common, we share interests in music and movies etc. We laugh and talk all the time when we're together.

Heres the thing its been 8 months since we started seeing each other and for the first 1 or 2 it was amazing, all our free time was spent together as usual. Then my boyfriend had a 2 week stint on late shifts at work where he slipped back into old habits and then a door was closed on his feelings. We discussed this a while back and agreed that there was something worth saving there and that we would try and make it work, Last night however (About 4 months after the initial chat) he decided to say that he no longer wanted to be my boyfriend, that he feels bad for not giving me the attention I deserve, that there is nothing at all that he could fault about the relationship other than something was missing. I asked about trying and he said that he had been since our first chat.

I really love this man and I would do anything to get him to love me back I just don't know where to start.

Also if thats not possible I would hate to lose the friendship we have - can ex's remain friends in reality do you think?

I'm so devestated at the moment :'(

Comments

• Options
    *hug* im so sorry youre going through this. Its never easy.

All I can say is just be gentle on yourself and try and keep some distance. If something is missing for him, theres nothing you can do. The ball is in his court
  • Options
    Thanks

I know you're right. The thing with how I said something missing is I think its more a case of something he's not letting out. I mean in the first half of the relationship he called me beautiul every day, always touched me etc said he loved me then after the period of not seeing each other he kinda shut a door on it. I just want to see if I can open that door.
  • Options
    I am sorry to hear this limbo. Those break-ups seem to be really tough to get over. Sometimes it just doesn't work out and there is just nothing you can point your finger on to blame.

Take care.
  • Options
    When I was younger I'd have most likely done my bit crying and got over it already, but I get a lot more emotionally attached now than I ever did.
    He's text me once already today so, I think my best plan is to get on with being me and doing my stuff. Going to focus on things I enjoy, maybe hit the gym harder and see how the friends thing holds up. Most of all get back to work tomorrow
  • Options
    inlimbo29 wrote: »
    When I was younger I'd have most likely done my bit crying and got over it already, but I get a lot more emotionally attached now than I ever did.
    He's text me once already today so, I think my best plan is to get on with being me and doing my stuff. Going to focus on things I enjoy, maybe hit the gym harder and see how the friends thing holds up. Most of all get back to work tomorrow

exactly the right things to do.
  • Options
    easier said than done though x
  • Options
    inlimbo29 wrote: »
    easier said than done though x

sure, but knowing what to do is already half the win.
  • Options
    sorry to hear this :(

i believe that exes can remain friends, my ex is now one of my closest friends i can rely on him and trust him with everything.

keep your chin up hun :) xx
  • Options
    Thanks EAB thats given me some hope. It would just be a huge shame to waste the really good friendship we've built up while we've been together and he said himself that he talks to me about things that none of his other friends would be interested in at the same level as me.

Fingers crossed the friends thing can work out for me too.

I feel much better today, well at least I'm not crying every 2 seconds anymore.

Thanks loads everyone for all the support :heart::heart::heart: *hug*
  • Options
    no problem :) xx