Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Looking after shoes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have some really nice shoes (which are quite expensive and i want to look after) but i am not sure what to do. They are really soft smooth brown leather, and so comfortable.

I was wearing them yesterday in the rain and put them under the radiator to dry out once I got home, but now they have dried there are white marks all over where the water mark must have been (no spunk jokes please :razz: ) The leather has also gone a bit dry and rougher than it was. Should I be putting anything on them to try and keep in good condition?

The best way I can describe it, is if they were my face, they would be crying out for some moisturiser. Is there anything like moisturiser for shoes I can put on them?

Ta

Comments

• Options
    You should stop cumm... oh, no spunk jokes, right...
  • Options
    Dick :razz:
  • Options
    I'd try some of that neutral wax polish on them. Though I'm a very bad shoe-keeper, it has to be said.
  • Options
    Muñeca wrote: »
    I'd try some of that neutral wax polish on them. Though I'm a very bad shoe-keeper, it has to be said.

Same I usually just throw them out when they look tatty, but l will be crying if I have to chuck these out.
  • Options
    you can put some sort of leather spray on it before you go out in the rain etc :)
  • Options
    Make sure they are properly dry for starters.

Next time you get them wet FFS don't put them by the radiator to dry, pack them out with news paper and leave them somewhere more normal temperatured in your house.

Have you polished them at all? If not then that would usually do the trick - either brown polish, or if you're not feeling that brave you can get neutral type wax.

Did they come from a proper shoe shop? If you take them in there, they could give you some advice.

Get some treatment / protection spray for after you've sorted them out, and spray them regularly to stop yourself having problems again.

To get the tide marks out, a nice leather conditioning cream should do the trick, and some elbow grease, I'm sure your wrists are up to giving them a good rub and polish.
  • Options
    Make sure they are properly dry for starters.

Next time you get them wet FFS don't put them by the radiator to dry, pack them out with news paper and leave them somewhere more normal temperatured in your house.

Have you polished them at all? If not then that would usually do the trick - either brown polish, or if you're not feeling that brave you can get neutral type wax.

Did they come from a proper shoe shop? If you take them in there, they could give you some advice.

Get some treatment / protection spray for after you've sorted them out, and spray them regularly to stop yourself having problems again.

To get the tide marks out, a nice leather conditioning cream should do the trick, and some elbow grease, I'm sure your wrists are up to giving them a good rub and polish.

Ah right, I thought a radiator would be a good thing - obviously not.

I dont know about proper shoe shop - Kurt Geiger?
  • Options
    Some pics of the shoe in question..
  • Options
    Yikes that a bad water mark, u should have treated them before u got them wet u may have trouble getting this off, the only thing i can say is give them a good buff when they are dry. x
  • Options
    As they look like matt leather I'd try the white shoe cleaner from Clarke's.

I'm about to tackle my shiny shoes with the yellow shoe cleaner...
  • Options
    Poirot rubs his shiny shoes with petroleum jelly, just so ya know.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Some pics of the shoe in question..

John Wayne called, he wants his shoes back !
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    John Wayne called, he wants his shoes back !

I dont get that, who's John Wayne :confused:
  • Options
    not perfect...