Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Ultra low maintenance hair styles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have scored a cheap haircut (hello Groupon :yippe: ) and need some help! I don't even know when I last had my hair done, definitely before I was pregnant, so there's about a year and a half of mingingness to chop.

Obviously I want to do as little with it as possible, cause the child has drastically reduced fannying-about-with-hair time. In the past I have had many hairstyles claiming to be low maintenance, but in practice none of them really were.

At the moment I have grown out layers - the shortest ones are just past my shoulders, and the longest down past my bra strap. I can't rock very short hair - it makes me look like an unattractive teenage boy, but I want to take a lot of the length off. I still need to be able to tie it up, preferably all in one hairband, cause my hair has days where it will not have anything done to it. My hair is wavy/loosely curly, hates hairdryers (but straightens well for occasions) and there is a lot of it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    keep it long and just get the old layers cut out. Hair that you can tie back is easiest, you ust scrape and go. Any layers shorter than when a hair bobble will go will just make life difficult and mean you need clips etc on days when you cba to style.
  • Options
    I think you may be right.

I guess I can keep it just long enough to be tied up without being so long I need to take out shares in a conditioner company, though. Just around shoulder length, maybe? With the added bonus that there's less to get caught up in the infant death grip.
  • Options
    Depending on your thoughts, you can have some shorter bits at the front that don't go up in a pony tail but do go behind your ears. That can look nicer than all scraped back.

Shoulder length definitely goes back into a pony tail though.
  • Options
    I concur with Katralla. I tie my hair back every day (shoulder length) but it is in layers so if I decide to do something with it, it can still look ok or something. A few bobby pins or hair clips to hold anything back can do wonders too.

These kind of hair clips are the best I think, hold it all back! http://www.u-handbag.com/images/hairclip.gif
  • Options
    Depending on your thoughts, you can have some shorter bits at the front that don't go up in a pony tail but do go behind your ears. That can look nicer than all scraped back.

It definitely does look better, but they won't stay behind my ears, they'll snake out like huge tentacles! I've fallen for that idea before. My hair needs to have the potential to be secured to my head, or else it tries to make me look like this:

bighair.jpg

Not a good look off the catwalk. Not a great look on!
  • Options
    I have probably similar hair, but and have shorter bits round my face, but it's only the bit right at the front, not whole tentacles.
  • Options
    More like manageable mini tentacles? :D
  • Options
    That's the one.

Manageable enough to generally be dominated by the rest of the tentacles when it's all tied back unless I drag them out.
  • Options
    Shaven :cool:
  • Options
    I don't know if you've made a decision or are still looking, but my hairstyle is pretty low-maintenance. It's basically an A-line with a sideswept fringe, a little above my shoulders. It's long enough to tie back (sometimes I use a few bobby pins to keep the little hairs in the back in place), but short enough to not have to worry about. I do blow-dry it in the mornings and occasionally flat-iron a little because my hair goes all frizzy if I let it air-dry, but otherwise I don't really have to do anything with it. Also, due to it's length, it doesn't take long to dry it at all (and I have really thick hair). It's real easy to jazz up with a barrette or a fun headband, but also looks fine just left to do its own thing. I really love it, personally.
  • Options
    I was actually thinking of an a-line, after some research! Fringe is a big no-no for me, even a side one, cause the slightest whiff of humidity or a strong wind and I look like Pat Sharp circa 1991 (never a good look), but my theory was that I could then keep the front bits long for ease of tying up, while having the back a little shorter and choppier for interest :)

I'm going to grow some balls and just book my appointment, I think!
  • Options
    i have mine really short and i love it. Takes me moments to wash and dry and put a bit of product in to mess it up a bit
  • Options
    Excuse my dumbness but what does a-line mean?! Have looked at the pic but still don't entirely get it...
  • Options
    It's shorter in the back than in the front. Here's a side-view of someone with an a-line. They can be more dramatic, or more subtle, but the basic idea is that the front is longer.
  • Options
    i have mine really short and i love it. Takes me moments to wash and dry and put a bit of product in to mess it up a bit

I wish I could pull off your hair! Unfortunately I'd need to steal your face, too :p

Last time I had very short hair 2 people called me Sir within a week, so I grew it out immediately :(
  • Options
    It's shorter in the back than in the front. Here's a side-view of someone with an a-line. They can be more dramatic, or more subtle, but the basic idea is that the front is longer.

thats nice, ive had that style many times. i assumed it was a bob
  • Options
    thats nice, ive had that style many times. i assumed it was a bob

Yeah, an a-line is basically an angled bob. I don't know why I didn't think to describe it like that in the first place. xD
  • Options
    I don't know if you've made a decision or are still looking, but my hairstyle is pretty low-maintenance. It's basically an A-line with a sideswept fringe, a little above my shoulders. It's long enough to tie back (sometimes I use a few bobby pins to keep the little hairs in the back in place), but short enough to not have to worry about. I do blow-dry it in the mornings and occasionally flat-iron a little because my hair goes all frizzy if I let it air-dry, but otherwise I don't really have to do anything with it. Also, due to it's length, it doesn't take long to dry it at all (and I have really thick hair). It's real easy to jazz up with a barrette or a fun headband, but also looks fine just left to do its own thing. I really love it, personally.

Its very pretty, suits you :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh, thank you. :)