Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rejection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are good ways of dealing with this ?

It's a part of life, but not easy sometimes.

What different types are there - any ideas ?

Say you ask someone out and they say no what is a good way of dealing with it just as an example ?

Or maybe it's a job ?

It's something I find tricky

Comments

• Options
    mark1984 wrote: »
    It's a part of life,

Oh no it isn't, stop chasing women and have them chase you - problem solved.
  • Options
    Be self-confident enough that you are convinced that they are missing out big time and making a mistake by that. In the worst case, you don't care much about them. In the best case, they say yes instead of no, because they dig your confidence.
  • Options
    I've grown in confidence the last few years, but it has taken time. Someone said to me you can think it's their loss, which is what you mean I think, but I've only just got into the position of thinking that.
  • Options
    Hi mark1984,

Being rejected can be very hard indeed. It is only natural to assume that rejection is simply due to us and take it personally, when it fact it's probably more often about the other person. They might be in a relationship already or even have had a bad day - whichever reason, it can be easier to understand it.

Sometimes, if possible, it can help to be friends with someone before asking them out, as feelings can develop over time and you are more likely to get an idea of how they feel.
    Asking someone out that you might not know very well can be tough, so the more you make them feel comfortable, the more likely it could end well and remove the usual anxiety that dating can have.

It is good to hear that you have grown in confidence over the last few years so use this if you can to help you. Rejection can happen, yet perhaps it is the way we deal with them that can help us deal with the next one.

Please do not hesitate to keep posting,

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply - that's quite helpful. At the moment I'm starting to become interested in someone, but I'm just thinking of trying to get to know her first and see what happens.

I'm learning more as I get older which is true of anyone I think. But I was definitely affected by teenage criticism up until around the age of 19. Now I've just turned 26 I'm doing much better after having had mental health problems at university.