Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fuck Xmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can I have time for a little rant please.

Xmas. It's not what it used to be when I was a kid. I don't look forward to it in the same way I used to, even though the kids faces are a pleasure to watch on the morning.

Getting ready is stressful, buying the food and making sure all the presents are bought. The consumerism starts too bloody early now, so by the time December comes I'm already overdosing on Xmas songs and decorations.

Then there's the day itself. Seriously when did cooking, washing up and cooking again become enjoyable?

Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    Since I am no longer living with my parents I am looking forward to see them and the christmas tree. My cousin with whom I work will be there too, so it's nice to see him in private and in connection with my family again. I am not wishing for anything and not expecting anything anymore presentwise, and always give out little things, so this all is not so materialism heavy.

My parents, however, a generation to which you might pass belonging :razz: are always stressed the fuck out and grumpy too. It's probably a conditioning like Pawlow's dog. As soon as christmas rolls on you need to become depressive.

As a former worker for the ambulance I can attest that there are a lot of suicides and attempts too on christmas.

Anyway, merry Christmas to all of you anyway :)
  • Options
    Cooking? Washing up? Shopping? Why are you getting stressed over women's work?
  • Options
    My wife is a shit cook, so I do that.

Bloody kids can wash up this year, lazy buggers!
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    My wife is a shit cook, so I do that.

That's very decent of you. My missus would be told to buck her ideas up and sent on a Mrs Beeton-esque Household Management course.
    Bloody kids can wash up this year, lazy buggers!

And get down t'pit afterwards! :d
  • Options
    That's very decent of you. My missus would be told to buck her ideas up and sent on a Mrs Beeton-esque Household Management course.

Tried that. Hospital food isn't that nice.

And get down t'pit afterwards! :d

Only after they done the chimney.
  • Options
    Dishwashers are great for relationships! Tried and tested. :thumb:

I used to hate christmas when I was a teenager because of how stressed things got at home, exams at school, not having money and so on. Now that I'm grown up I found out I started enjoying it more, I just do things at my own pace. Then again, I don't know if the pressure will change once there's a kid and a half in play. In two or three years we need to start making up our minds whether to celebrate on the 24th or 25th since my bloke's kid is always with her mum on the 24th and us on the 25th.

Of course, I'm insanely chilled this year as I'm eating with my parents tomorrow and on christmas day as well as being pregnant on sick leave due to being an invalid when it comes to doing stuff. My bloke has mastered the line "you just stay still, let me do it" :d
  • Options

And that, my love, is why you are single ;).
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    And that, my love, is why you are single ;)

I wish that was the reason I was single! Life would be a lot easier.
  • Options
    im feeling a bit more christmassy now all the presents are bought and relaxed and weve done the christmas food shop.
    Just got to cook it now.

no fucking way im washing up though
  • Options
    I wish that was the reason I was single! Life would be a lot easier.
    Maybe it's because you're flaky, too :p?
  • Options
    That, and being a massive misanthrope doesn't help either! :D
  • Options
    That, and being a massive misanthrope doesn't help either! :D
    It's good that you're aware of these things, love :p.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Christmas either.

I'm a man of routine and I hate little things like Christmas ruining my routines.
  • Options
    Bah Humbug!
  • Options
    Really if you strip away the religious and the consumer aspects of Christmas it's just an excuse to be with people close to you and eat a little good food. Given this it seems that the solution would be to celebrate Christmas in a very keyed down way; one present a piece, don't over-do the meals, maybe make a rule to keep the tv and computers off for the day and instead bust out some board games, etc.

Or just don't celebrate, there's always that.
  • Options
    Really if you strip away the religious and the consumer aspects of Christmas it's just an excuse to be with people close to you and eat a little good food. Given this it seems that the solution would be to celebrate Christmas in a very keyed down way; one present a piece, don't over-do the meals, maybe make a rule to keep the tv and computers off for the day and instead bust out some board games, etc.

Or just don't celebrate, there's always that.

yea, agree. I never go out on christmas. This yea I've been with my family at our weekend wooden cabin. fireplace was on (we have no other means of heating there :p), good meal, afterwards we were sat together in small groups. My aunt was with my mum, I was with my cousin checking out our presents and just talking, asking each other riddles (my father came by then). It was really good. I like it that way best. It's only once a year anyway, you don't need to get drunk or party.
  • Options
    Only, who of us doesn't feel like we HAVE to spend christmas with the people we're supposed to rather than the people who are actually close to us. And, if you have a divided family, christmas can go on for days, each time suckier than the last...
  • Options
    Really if you strip away the religious and the consumer aspects of Christmas it's just an excuse to be with people close to you and eat a little good food..

goodness... almost as if people had been doing it for years until some jumped up religion decided to overlay it's origin story on top...
  • Options
    chuckles
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    goodness... almost as if people had been doing it for years until some jumped up religion decided to overlay it's origin story on top...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hRL-C-Thq8
  • Options
    I HATE XMAS!

:mad:
  • Options

Nah, Saturnalia was replaced by Halloween.

The Christmas feast is a typical pragmatic midwinter event - they co-opted the feast of Sol(or Helios) Invictus (and stole the iconography too), but might as easily have gone for the solstice.
  • Options
    i dont care about the origins, or any religious aspect. I like the father christmas bit, giving and receiving presents to my loved ones and having a nice roast dinner with crackers
  • Options
    I don't care about the origins, just those people that complain the "original" meaning of Christmas has been lost.
  • Options
    thank fuck that's over. Next year I'm going to be on holiday.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    And that, my love, is why you are single ;).

Without our principles Franki m'dear, where would we be?
  • Options
    I dunno. I don't have principles, remember ;)
  • Options
    Yes, I recall. Just thought I'd drop by.
  • Options

Leader of the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Leader of the Lib Dems?
    :D