Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Id

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can I use a young person's railcard as ID?

Not for buying alcohol and cigarettes, but for general stuff, like in Tescos they won't let me buy scissors and they refused me a nose piercing the other day in Blue Banana (I tried to use my passport but they wouldn't believe it was me).

I hate looking so young.

Comments

• Options
    Nope.
  • Options
    What can I use then?
  • Options
    I managed to get my ears pierced with it once, but thats because I had another piece of ID without a photo that wasn't hand written ;)

Passport is your best bet if you're not 17. Although you can apply for your provisional driving license before you are 17, so that may be worth a try if you're nearly there :)

Edit - Sorry just reread the bit about the passport. That is mean. Maybe if you used your passport AND your railcard?
  • Options
    You can use your passport so if your picture doesnt look like you then get it re-done. What about a Bite card, i had one when i was younger, before i got my provisional
  • Options
    It isn't fair, but valid ID is limited to passports and driving licences.
  • Options
    Can I get a provisional license at 16?
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Can I get a provisional license at 16?

No, you have to be 17 unfortunately.
  • Options
    at 16 you can get a provisional license for a 50cc moped. you can pick up a form in the post office. costs about £30 I think.
  • Options
    You can apply for a provisional driving license up to something like 3 months before your 17th birthday. Mine arrived before I was 17 :) Just wasn't valid.
  • Options
    You can apply for a provisional driving license up to something like 3 months before your 17th birthday. Mine arrived before I was 17 :) Just wasn't valid.

Yeah that is true, and shows the reason why only passports and driving licences are accepted as valid forms of ID. The other schemes don't require as much validation as getting a passport or a driving licence, although they may have a photograph and date of birth; they don't have the recognised process behind them.
  • Options
    I looked NOTHING like my passport photo, but they still accepted it because they could see it wasn't tampered with. You can try the railcard and passport combo but it is still their decision. You can get those other cheap ID ones, but for £30 something you could get a provisional.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547