Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Finding a mobile phone.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heya :)

I was on the bus today, and i was lucky enough to find a HTC Legend... Almost brand new by the looks of it, unlocked and everything. Kinda really lucky really, but i'm wondering even though i've taken the SIM card out and i'm using my own, can the original owner trace the phone or if the owner/police do find it...
Can i claim it's mine? Will i get in trouble?

I know people here are probably going to tell me to give it back... but finding this phone has gotta be the best thing that's happened to me all year :/ Selfish i know...

Thanks, anyways ;D

Comments

• Options
    There's no such thing as finders keepers in the UK. Once the owner has realised it's lost it'll be blocked and won't work regardless. If you get found with it then you can get done for theft by finding or handling stolen goods.

Do the honest thing and hand it in a cop shop, and next time imagine how you'd feel if it happened to you.
    You never know, in 30 days time it might go unclaimed and you'll be able to keep it legally.
  • Options
    To be honest, it's probably nicked anyway. Brand new phone, unlocked, left on a bus? I'd be suspicious.
  • Options
    To be honest, it's probably nicked anyway. Brand new phone, unlocked, left on a bus? I'd be suspicious.

Really, I left a brand new phone on the train before, and I unlock all my phones myself..

So yeah, how exactly is it probably nicked? people do lose things ya'know.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    So yeah, how exactly is it probably nicked? people do lose things ya'know.

Ahh, I guess I'm just more careful with my phones than other people then.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It's people like you who make me sad in this world. Especially as it is the season of goodwill and the like *sigh*
  • Options
    It's people like you who make me sad in this world. Especially as it is the season of goodwill and the like *sigh*

Yup, :yes: :yes: total disregard How would you like it if it was your phone, or maybe a kid/young person who saved up for it.

Oh, you say this is the best thing that's happened to you in ages, remember this "best thing" that's happened to you in ages is taken from the misery of someone else.

Is that the type of person you want to be, your happiness comes from the problems of others..

Shame on you.
  • Options

I think phones you get on contract (well, some) are unlocked too. My current one isn't but I've had one or two that are.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I think phones you get on contract (well, some) are unlocked too. My current one isn't but I've had one or two that are.

:yes: :yes:
  • Options
    i dont know what kind of responses you expected, did you expect people to be like WOW nice one! errr no. dont be a dick and give it back. its really easy to do, all you have to do is put their sim back in, find a number that says 'home' or whatever and ring it. if you lost a phone one day you'd be chuffed if somebody rang you saying they'd found it. unless you have no morals.
  • Options
    :(

hand it in to the police station. If noone claims it then its yours fair and square, but its not yours to keep.
  • Options
    You've actually committed a criminal offence by finding it and keeping it....

Pretty poor show particularly as it would be so easy to ring around some numbers in the phone and track down the owner!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'll give you a fiver :rolleyes:
  • Options
    As has been mentioned before the it is a criminal offence for you to keep this phone. The right and proper thing is to hand it into your local police station.
  • Options
    i dont know what kind of responses you expected, did you expect people to be like WOW nice one! errr no. dont be a dick and give it back. its really easy to do, all you have to do is put their sim back in, find a number that says 'home' or whatever and ring it. if you lost a phone one day you'd be chuffed if somebody rang you saying they'd found it. unless you have no morals.

:yes:

selfish selfish selfish!
    and whowhere said if no one claims it you'd keep it. so if it is someone's, you'll make someone really happy and not be a criminal. and if they don't try to claim it, you get a phone without guilt. yay.
  • Options
    Hey there,

It seems like you are in a tricky situation at the moment. It is really tempting to keep things that you may find - especially something that is worth a lot of money - like this phone that you've found.

Every phone has an unique code called a International Mobile Equipment Identity number (IMEI number), which is used to block the phone if the owner reports it stolen. Therefore the phone will be of no use to you anyway. Remember that unblocking (not unlocking) a phone is a criminal activity.

Keeping something you find is an offense in this country - you can be liable for theft. You may like to read this BBC article about the myth of 'finders keepers' - it relates to a lottery ticket, but the principles are the same. Therefore, legally speaking, you should hand the phone over to the nearest police station.

There is a national compaign by the Metropolitan Police called the Mobile Phone Crime Unit. You may like to look at their website for more information.

Like the other posters have already said - there are moral reasons why you would want to hand the phone in to the police. Put yourself in the shoes of the person who has lost their phone - you would be pretty upset and would want someone to hand your phone in.

Whatever you decide to do, ensure that you know the full consequences of your actions beforehand and be ready to deal with them.

Let us know how you get on.

:)