Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is January a difficult time of year?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello peeps :wave:

Here at TheSite Towers our Media and PR Team want to raise awareness of the issues people face in January, as well as the services of TheSite.org, so that those in need of help know where to go.

We've been noticing that January can be a difficult time of year – the weather is miserable, the Christmas festivity is all over and pockets are emptier after a month of buying presents – but it seems to go deeper than that.

We've seen a big increase every year for the last three years, in the number of people asking for help from our askTheSite service in January than in the month before. Statistics also show that around 25% more people are looking for help with relationships in January than in the preceding December.

Before launching this campaign next month they'd like to hear how you feel about January...

Is it a difficult time for you?

If it is, what is it that makes it hard?

We'd really appreciate your input on this, your insights will help us shape the campaign and make sure we reach as many young people as possible!

Thanks for your help! :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    that's really interesting, the first obvious thing that springs to mind is that everyone seems to reflect over the past year in january. also regardless of when a loved person has died it still feels wrong to start a new year without them.

personally though..

Is it a difficult time for you?
    it can be, a loved one died 3 days before christmas a few years ago. the same weird feeling continues into the new year and also my birthday because it's in january.

If it is, what is it that makes it hard?
    haha just answered :p but i do think people are unnecessarily hard on themselves in january myself included. peopel should stop setting themselves a time limit on their goals. the important part is trying.
  • Options
    January is always a bit of a disappointment, and in a way you get two months worth of rubbish stuff in one go, because everything gets brushed under the carpet in Decemeber because it's Christmas, there are bank holidays, and decorations and fun and sparkly lights.

That all makes up for the doom and gloom of winter having properly set in and you get distracted.

Then comes January, and the next distraction isn't until Easter which is forever away and it's cold and dark and miserable and you're poor and you had Christmas as a nice reminder that you're single and it sucks, or your family hate each other, or you hate your family and the rosey tinsel glow has been taken away.

Before January you go from Summer (which actually lasts most of September) then to Hallowe'en and fun and decorations and distractions there, and then to fireworks, and then pretty much onto Christmas so there's always fun. Then New Years eve, and then nothing til Easter which is forever.

(Valentines day doesn't count - that causes more grief than fun)
  • Options
    oh god... i think i'm just gonna end it all now(!)
  • Options
    same shit different year :p
  • Options
    I think New Year's resolutions are part of what makes things suck (well only a small part....). People put so much pressure on themselves to change, often giving something up and then they fail and so yeah, not worth it. I hate them.

I think its an important time to reflect back and look forward and make goals.... but making crappy resolutions has always bugged the hell out of me, even if sometimes I play a long with it just to avoid getting ranty :o
  • Options
    Personally I find November to be the hardest month. The weather changes and everything seems cold and miserable. At least January is a new year and Christmas is out the way.
  • Options
    Like Jo7 suggested, the pockets are lighter in January but I find that the month itself is fine. The main challenge money-wise is that most employers pay their staff before Christmas which means that you have 5½ weeks until your next pay packet. As long as you pretend that you didn't get the December pay until the end of December, then the budgeting should be easier.

Holiday-wise, Autumn is the hardest overall because you have a 4-month gap between bank holidays.
  • Options
    i find january immensely difficult. i don't find being in a new year hopeful, i find it upsetting. i get this awful 'here we go again' feeling. i think for people with long-term health problems that they battle with every day, the prospect of another year of it is not a very positive one. i wish i felt renewed hope at the start of the year but i never do.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Getting back to school getting all work up to date and all school stress dealing with a relationship cuz u hadn't seen ur BF over the x-mas holls the usual
  • Options
    I'm pretty happy all year round.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    i find january immensely difficult. i don't find being in a new year hopeful, i find it upsetting. i get this awful 'here we go again' feeling. i think for people with long-term health problems that they battle with every day, the prospect of another year of it is not a very positive one. i wish i felt renewed hope at the start of the year but i never do.

This.
    I've worked every new year for the past three because I hate the start of January. When everyone starts singing and I'm trying to keep busy there are always tears in my eyes because, when forced to take stock of my year's achievements, I know that I'm no smarter or wiser than a year ago, I have failed again to achieve anything that was important to me, and, ultimately, I am no happier. It's the same with birthdays, really. I think if everybody's birthday was in the same month, you'd have an almost identical response.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    This.
    I've worked every new year for the past three because I hate the start of January. When everyone starts singing and I'm trying to keep busy there are always tears in my eyes because, when forced to take stock of my year's achievements, I know that I'm no smarter or wiser than a year ago, I have failed again to achieve anything that was important to me, and, ultimately, I am no happier. It's the same with birthdays, really. I think if everybody's birthday was in the same month, you'd have an almost identical response.

*cuddle*