Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

childhood promise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On my 6th birthday my bestfriend had given me a pretty necklace. i had promised him to never take it off. now i am 14 and i havent seen him since 2nd grade. i still havent taken it off. i will be seeing him for the first time in years at a party my mom is hosting. i dont know, is this promise made by a 6 year old really that important? and if not, why do i feel as if i must keep this promise? its not that important but i would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. is it silly? or is it..not?

Comments

• Options
    awww thats so cute!!! Still wear it if hes coming to the party and see if he remembers
  • Options
    i just don't want to look like a fool. its stupid that i'm so compelled to keep this promise. and i guess it is kind of cute.
  • Options
    I think it's a nice gesture. It will make for a good story to tell your grandkids when you end up marrying him.
  • Options
    lol i'm not going to marry him, i don't even know what he looks like anymore! :p and i just find it odd that i want to keep such a silly promise
  • Options
    If it's a pretty necklace, wear it anyway!
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I think it's a nice gesture. It will make for a good story to tell your grandkids when you end up marrying him.

:lol: blatent truth.
  • Options
    Not to be rude, but i didn't ask if i should wear it, i asked why i feel so compelled to keep this promise.
  • Options
    Not to be rude, but i didn't ask if i should wear it, i asked why i feel so compelled to keep this promise.

Because it is honourable, A promise is not an empty thing to you, which speaks a lot about your character,

regardless of it is a little silly thing or something big, a promise is a promise regardless of size, it seems thats the important thing to you, so, Go for it, wear it, it's more than just he gave it to you, it speaks about who you are :) he will realise that :)
  • Options
    You can look at it two ways, you can look at it as keeping a promise that you made to a person in particular, or you can look as it as you keeping by what you said you'd do.

So it might not be about the person, it might be more about you sticking by what you say. And on those grounds, I think it's a really good reminder about keeping promises (even if you don't always manage to keep all of them)
  • Options
    hmmm... i guess it does make sense. thank you all for responding to my thread, its nice to know that somebody, anybody, was listening...er...well...reading haha :p xoxoxo shy_devil_girl
  • Options

dunno, maybe youre a bit of a romantic? maybe youre a bit obsessive?

I dont know you so its hard to say
  • Options
    I'd mention it - if nothing else you can ask permission to break the promise. They almost certainly don't remember.
  • Options
    I think one must remember that you were only 6 when you made this 'promise'. Six year old's don't really have any real understanding of the implications of a 'promise' and so, if you have taken off the necklace, I'd say that was understandable and forgiveable.
  • Options
    shy_devil_girl and that dude that gave her the necklace sit in a tree, K.I.S.S.I.N.G. !!!! HAHAHA!!!
  • Options
    ahhh no. lol i have a boyfriend thank you :p
  • Options
    ahhh no. lol i have a boyfriend thank you :p

Heh and my wife was engaged :razz:

Honestly, good luck, have fun and hopefully you can catch up with your friend
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Heh and my wife was engaged :razz:

Honestly, good luck, have fun and hopefully you can catch up with your friend

haha :p and thank you, i hope so too :)
  • Options
    Hi shy_devil_girl,

The fact that you kept this promise all this time, to agree with Hellfire, does show a special part of your character. You can ask whether it is silly but you felt it necessary to keep it all this time for some reason, and if that was your instinct, it cannot be silly!

Do let us know how the party went and how seeing him was like!

Good luck:wave:
  • Options
    When's the party? If you've had it, how'd it go?
  • Options
    It's not untill next week. And I will post how it goes, I promise ;)