Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prolife, Anti-abortion - the same thing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I can't remember who brought this up on the other thread, but it got me thinking: do you think that being Pro-life is the same thing as being Anti-abortion?

I may just be having problems with definitions with everything, but I don't really know much about this!

Or could it also be said that Pro-choice and Pro-abortion are two identical things?

I really need to get educated on this! Or are the groups defined by religious beliefs or something like that?

I don't want to get into a major debate over abortion being right or wrong I was just wondering if I could get a bit of clarification on the issue.

:)

Comments

• Options
    I don't know they are the same, but the word pro-life is a misleading, ugly word and most of the people who like to attach themselves to it are best avoided (just like 'Family Values' campaigners).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I don't know they are the same, but the word pro-life is a misleading, ugly word and most of the people who like to attach themselves to it are best avoided (just like 'Family Values' campaigners).

Exactly..

I get lumped in with 'pro-lifers' when i tell people im anti-abortion and they just write me off as a nutjob as soon as i say it..

I dont class a fetus as a 'life' and its continuation onto life isnt of much importance to me so im not pro life...
  • Options
    Re: Prolife, Anti-abortion - the same thing?
    Originally posted by go_away
    [B
    Or could it also be said that Pro-choice and Pro-abortion are two identical things?

:) [/B]

I don't know if Pro choice and Pro abortion are the same thing.
    A person could be pro choice for others but not pro abortion for themselves.

I think when the expression PRO LIFE is used it is generally to descripe fundamentalists (Often religioous) people who are part of an organisation who want to take the choice away from others.

Am I making sense.

To personalise it I would not like the choice to be taken away from me but I respect someone who decides its not for them. What I don't like is when people set up groups to limit the freedom of choice of others. Although they may argue they are representing the unborn child who has no voice to speak with.

It's a terrible circle usually mixed up with religion and religious morals.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Prolife, Anti-abortion - the same thing?
    Originally posted by byny
    I don't know if Pro choice and Pro abortion are the same thing.
    A person could be pro choice for others but not pro abortion for themselves.

This would be me.

I believe that the choice should be offered (although restricted), however I do not believe that I could encourage anyone to have an abortion. That is my choice.
    I think when the expression PRO LIFE is used it is generally to descripe fundamentalists (Often religioous) people who are part of an organisation who want to take the choice away from others.

but are not willing to face up to the social consequences :(
    It's a terrible circle usually mixed up with religion and religious morals.

Which is when we get to the crux of the problem. Forcing their own religious beliefs on others.
  • Options
    Just an assosiation...

Read this place that No Doubt got asked to play at this pro-choice thingy... So they perform, and at the end of a song, Gwen says that it's great that they are there, that it's a fine night etc. and also says, that it's cool that they have their opinion but personally, she wouldn't be able to go through an abortion. So you can imagine the looks and boo's she got.

At the end when people asked her why she said, what she said, she answers, "well, this is pro-choice, I just aired the choice I would make"...
  • Options
    But that's why Pro choice are so much better than the typical Pro lifer.

Pro choice want people to make up their own minds, Pro Life want to make it up for you!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    But that's why Pro choice are so much better than the typical Pro lifer.

I think their argument is how much choice does the kid get if its aborted.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

I think their argument is how much choice does the kid get if its aborted.

The kid doesn't get a choice if it's given birth to either. It's impossible to give a foetus a choice.
  • Options
    Well I do have to agree with Balddog a little on this because there are people out there who have a very strong belief that someone should stand up for the rights of the Foetus
    - however, mostly this is fueled by a religious belief and they refuse to see that many people do not share their belief in religion and so in the eyes of those who want 'choice' their pro-life argument is invalid.
  • Options
    - however, mostly this is fueled by a religious belief and they refuse to see that many people do not share their belief in religion and so in the eyes of those who want 'choice' their pro-life argument is invalid.

So do you think that pro-life is more concerned with religion, and people who are 'anti-abortion' are the sort of non-believers? edited to say oops cos you said something similar in a few posts above :o
  • Options
    NO NO - Not at all but I'm just talking about extremes here.
    Ie the people who kill doctors in America for carrying out abortions are usually hiding behind both a pro-life and a religious cause.

I also think that a lot of people who have been brought up with strong religious belief (And guilt) do find it hard to take a pro Choice stance because of what they are taught about the sacredness of life.

Thats all I meant.

I think that had I, for example, been taught in a catholic school while living in Ireland then perhaps my choices about abortion would have been influenced by my faith.

However I do understand that there are people out there who use the term Pro life in a purely medical, and not religious, way.
  • Options
    gotcha :) I'm going to try a search engine and type in 'Pro-life' and 'Anti-abortion' and see if the two searches provide anything different, or different stances :cool:
  • Options
    i prefer the terms either pro-choice or anti-choice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    i prefer the terms either pro-choice or anti-choice.

Being pro-choice yourself, that figures.

Im sure some people refer to pro-choicers at pro-death/pro-murder etc etc..

Saying anti-choice is attaching a stigma to their point of view before even getting to the reasons.
  • Options
    I disagree, pro choice isnt the same as pro-death or pro murder or even pro abortion, because its about the womans right to choose what happens to her own body. I am pro-choice but I wouldnt call it pro-abortion, because i dont believe that everybody should have abortions, I just feel that accidents do happen and you shouldnt neccesarily have to have a child just because you had an accident. I believe that people should think carefully before having children and only have them if they feel ready for them and are in a situation to be able to care for a child. If a woman is not in that position, then she should be able to make a choice to end the pregnancy at an early stage.
    To have a child that is dearly wanted, is a wonderful thing, but an unwanted pregnancy is a totally different scenario and I have experience of both.
  • Options
    Pro life? Pro abortion? For me this is not that complicated. We all have free choices (thanks to medical science) and make choices that we think r best for us at the time. The trick is not to judge the choices of others too harshly.

I think if Jesus was alive today, he would not be campaining at the front of a clinic, but loving those who were coming out of the back door.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lifeuncommon
    I think if Jesus was alive today, he would not be campaining at the front of a clinic, but loving those who were coming out of the back door.

No he wouldn't.

He'd be in the nut house with everyone else who claims to be the son of God :D