Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does the law mean no more GHB?

I'm not sure how many of you, if any, use Ghb but now that its just about to be made class C do you think it will disapear?
I hope not personaly, but its never been huge here and it does get quite a bad rap from the press.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dunno wot will happen to it. I think it will be harder to come by and the price may go up but not sure. I dont take the stuff personally so it doesnt effect me.
  • Options
    I doubt it, for a while poppers were class C, if i'm correct, and you could get 'em anywhere. Though there was this loop hole thing with poppers. It was illegal to sell em if you asked for poppers, so my local Clone Zone used to sell bottles of "carpet stain remover". Bit expensive at £5 for a 10cl bottle when you can get 500ml of 2001 at the co-op for 89p:D:) :D
  • Options
    But poppers now arent the poppers of yester year are they?
    I thought the original popers were amyl-nitrate, arnt the modern ones varients of this and not the genuine thing?
  • Options
    Hope u realise that many women get date raped with GHB unlike other drugs, I've no objection to any other drugs but the line should be drawn and GHB seems to be one step too far in this world
  • Options
    i've never had ghb. why will it become harder to obtain if it's classification is going down..or have i misunderstood ?
    i've dealt in gbh in my time..in fact done time for gbh...but i'm a nice gentle caring soul now.
  • Options
    At the moment GHB isn't classified per se, i think, like Ketamine. Although it is a controlled substance as legally you need a scrip.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    But poppers now arent the poppers of yester year are they?
    I thought the original popers were amyl-nitrate, arnt the modern ones varients of this and not the genuine thing?

That's where it goes all hazy in the law. There's amyl nitrate and amyl nitrite. One's a derivative which is the poppers you can get in clubs etc, the other is a medecine that peeps, inc my dad, use as a chemical defibrulator. Usually used by angina sufferers. I pop down and see him now and again and a few ampoules mysteriously diappear???????????????:D
  • Options
    GHB at present isnt classified under ANY laws which makes it totaly legal to buy, sell and use.
    However ketamine is covered by the medicines act and therefore illegal to sell without a licence.
    I aggree with you point that date rape is nasty but this is a very small minority of GHB users. Please dont tar us all when you dont know a great deal about the drug it self.
    In recent tests date rape was comited with a massive arrary of drugs with anything from benzos, barbs, and even morphine.
    This problem will in NO way go away with the banning of GHB.
    If used properly GHB is one of the safest drugs on the market at the moment and does less harm to you than even cannabis.
  • Options
    Sorry for tarring it as you said but I was just trying to point out that drugs have their damages to their users who take it out of choice but for someone whose choice is removed I personally think the dangers increase.
    I also thought that thro partition to the government GHB had been banned but I think I'm thinking of Rohipnol (sorry bad sp day!)
    As you may have guessed I'm an anti-rape campaigner but I have no problem with people who use for their own benefit, just not to take advantage of other people
  • Options
    Rohipnal, as you say, I cant spell it either, was withdrawn from prescription some time ago because of its use by date-rapists.
    It was used to treat insomnia but they try other things now.
    To my mind if there wasnt such a media frenzy over GHB then it wouldnt have been used by so many date-rapists, its been used by people for ages without any problems.

To my mind they should look at the issues behind rape cases rather than trying to ban this drug because it can be used for that.
    If you treated rapists as mental health issues rather than criminals then maybe you might learn why they did it and stop them doing it again.
    They have a VERY high rate of re-offending, just putting them in jail for a while isnt going to address the cause.