Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Getting back in touch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently had a dream about my ex and his new gf (basically they randomly came to see me to have a chat and catch up) and it made me realise how much I miss him as a friend (I don't want to get back with him, he's seemingly happy with his new gf and I have a new life now too). We were best friends as well as bf/gf and went through alot together. It wasn't a particuarly messy split although very painful, so we bear no brunts against each other. We kept in touch for a few months after we split but then it just stopped, we now haven't spoken for 2 years but still have each other on facebook (I always assumed he'd delete me). And just yesterday I saw him come on msn for the first time in about 2 years, which was so random as I assumed he'd blocked or deleted me. I didn't say anything and he wasn't on for long. So I was thinking, would it be worth catching up and being friends again (bearing in mind he lives 200 miles away so I won't be seeing him in person) as he would have blocked all contact from me if he didn't want to hear from me again - or should I just let sleeping dogs lie, as I don't know how he or his gf would take randomly hearing from an ex from years back? My friend's keep saying go for it, but being all around 20/21 and most not having had serious relationships come to an end I don't really trust their judgement...so would appreciate opinions from a wider range of folk with different experiences. :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    i'm 24 so not much older than your friends - but i'd also say 'go 4 it'.
    i was always burning bridges behind me, and now i'd wish to speak with some of my ex, just because with some of them i was also good friends.
    I managed to keep friendship with my last ex bf - it was very difficult cause we went through bad times, lots of anger between us - but all in all, he is my friend. we don't meet anymore, but we stay in phone/net contact.
    i find it so much easier to just throw people away, stop contacting - but then i miss them - and it's not easy to repair things after some time. i made few mistakes like that. so if you have a chance to get back in touch with someone you liked - yes, go for it. who knows, maybe you're gonna remain great friends... and that's what i'd wish everyone.
  • Options
    I would say that you probably need a 2 year cooling off period after the messy end of a relationship but you can still be friends/acquaintances
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it personally. Some things are best left in the past and I don't really see how digging up an ex you haven't talked to for two years is going to enhance your life.

I'd advise to go on with your current life.
  • Options
    He was online again earlier, again only briefly. This is really random.
  • Options
    No harm sending an email to say hi I don't think. See what happens.