Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lonley

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got out of prison just over a week ago after serving two and a half years. I’m not proud of what I did and I was both stupid and immature (not that that is any excuse mind you). In the last two and a half years the mates I had before I was sent down have all moved on (and away). My parents have moved to Canada (where my mum is from). All my mum’s family are in Canada and my Dad’s are in Ireland, so I don’t really have any family.

I have one mate who has stuck by me while I was inside, he wrote and visited me and was really good when my family moved away. He’s let me move in with him into his spare room, which was really good of him)
Loads of things are bothering me, like adjusting to the outside world again (you get very used to prison routine very quickly) and coupled with the huge feeling of being totally alone isn’t helping matters much.

The loneliness aspect of things is probably the hardest; I’m floating around here most of the day myself trying to figure out what direction I want to take with my life.

Just looking for a bit of support

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

Welcome to thesite :)

What are you planning to do with your days now that you have your freedom? Are you looking for a job? Have you considered doing voluntary work, if you're not ready to take on paid employment? It sounds like you need to get out and about to feel less lonely so you can meet new people.
  • Options
    Hi, sounds like you've got a very good friend at your side. Dont feel lonely though Id rather have one person I could trust to be there than a million. Take it as a new start in life and I agree maybe take up voluntary work to get to know different people =) What you done in the past doesn't have to define you as a person today. People make mistakes.:)
  • Options
    I would quite like to do some sort of voluntary work or get a job, but one of the conditions of my licence (only out on licence - sentence was 5 years) is that I only undertake work (including voluntary work) with the approval of my probation officer. So it's a bit more tricky than volunteering and applying. Everything has to be run past my probation officer. It slows things down a bit.
  • Options
    Big Hugs to you.

I know a couple of people who have been inside and i know that it can be really hard once you get out.

My main advice is that you should set yourself a routine and stick to it.

Set your alarm and get up on time each day - do something to start your day like going for a run or having a proper nice shower.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Big Hugs to you.

I know a couple of people who have been inside and i know that it can be really hard once you get out.

My main advice is that you should set yourself a routine and stick to it.

Set your alarm and get up on time each day - do something to start your day like going for a run or having a proper nice shower.

Thanks for that. I do need to get myself into a routine. I am to some extent still in a prison routine in that I get up when I would have been told to get up had I still been inside, I try going to bed when I would have inside (but don't really settle as it's so quiet and end up getting back up).

Don't have many things to do during the day, sop I am hoping I can get some kind of work (even if it's just a few hours a week unpaid) to get me out doing things, meeting new people and such like
  • Options
    luc_bluc_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    Hi WillD

Thanks for opening up on the boards, there are lots of people here who want to listen to you and support you at a time that must be quite new and strange for you.

It must be hard without your family around you - do you keep in contact with them at all? As Sarah4 says, it's great to hear that you've got a good mate who's stuck by you through your time inside - have you tried speaking to him about how you feel?

In terms of getting work, this article from Lifetrack.com on 'Finding a job with a criminal record' might give you some useful tips on where to start. In addition, this article from TheSite.org shows how one lady coped when she came out of prison - it might give you some inspiration and direction.

In the meantime, please keep posting and remember that we're all here when you want to chat about how you're feeling :)

Take care of yourself.
  • Options
    I hope it helps - its also good to structure things around meals and the radio as well and try and find stuff going on in your local area - like you said a job would be good - there also might be stuff going on at your local college/ library / museum / city farm / park so its worth doing some internet digging to find out.