Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Crying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry to throw out the rules of equality, but this specifically about blokes, we all now girls are always crying :rolleyes:

So lads, when do you cry ? If ever ? Do you consider it a sign of weakness ? Have you ever tried to hold back tears for fear of looking stupid ?

Can it be controlled ?

From my perspective I just don't seem to cry, not through choice really, perhaps I don't have tear ducts or something :confused: The only time in the last four years was when Brazil beat us and one solitary tear trickled down my cheek, which really shocked me ! And thats despite family deaths etc.......

Comments

• Options
    Cant remember the last time i actually cried....Ive had the odd teary eye at the cinema but not enough to actually cry.

Dunno why....I see crying in public not so much as a sign of weakness, but as a sign of low self respect.
  • Options
    I sometimes cry if life gets to hard ie when people are being really mean:( Last time i think i (almost) cried apart from that is when i completed final fantasy 8 *blushes* My felt my lip quivering cos it was a sad ending but it went ok in the end:D Im not sure if it can be controled but then again ive been called effeminate on numerous occasions:p
  • Options
    I love a good cry :D

My sisters wedding last year I couldn't stop crying all the way through it. You could hear it clearly on the wedding video.

I'm not afraid to cry infront of some of my girl mates, even if its just about nothing, because there isnt quite as much need to be seen as tough infront of them, we all bond really well together so there's less need to put on a macho front.

The weird thing is, when it comes to things I perhaps should cry about (like seeing my granny die) I find myself bottling it up quite a bit, and not crying until a couple of weeks after its happened. I suppose I'm just weird like that.

A lot of times I've felt a lot better after a bit of a cry if I'm feeling down in the dumps, or have something on my mind. I dont have a problem with it, its just part of my personality I suppose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    Last time i think i (almost) cried apart from that is when i completed final fantasy 8 *blushes*

FF7 was better :p

I can't remember the last time I properly cried. I had a tear in my eye when England lost to Brazil though and through most of May/June (bloody hayfever :mad: )

I don't cry in public at all. I'd rather be by myself or write/type it out somewhere. I find stuff easier to cope with if I get it all down on paper even if no one see's it :confused: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ego

FF7 was better :p

Agreed.

I used to cry fairly often when I was depressed.... I found it helped. Haven't for a while now... can't remember the exact reason.
  • Options
    Thought id help Kathryn along and add a little femininity to this topic :)
    I cry whenever something upsets me badly enough, its not something i really think about, i think most girls would be the same as we are all pretty up front about emotions,
    blokes are definately different, ive been with my boyfriend for nearly a year now and not once has he shed a tear, and i find that really strange! I think cryings good................better out than in..............????? But i think that he just doesn't get upset about many things at all. Ive been in the presence of boys crying..........................funnily enough, i think they were ALL drunk at the time.............hmmmmmm........
    Oh well, maybe girls just have more to deal with than boys, i don't know!
    Love ya xxxxxxx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Penny Lane

Oh well, maybe girls just have more to deal with than boys

Its more a question of how the respective genders deal with things surely ?
  • Options
    Yeah you're right..... i guess that things can seem considerably more important to girls than boys, and vice versa, girls just seem to be more open and perhaps where girls who cry amongst girlie mates are not embarrased, as the girls instinctively hug the girl who is upset and offer the advice, all attention will be on the upset girl, when blokes cry, all attention from other males won't be focused on him, and it's unlikely he will recieve and affection from other blokes. Girls can be very attention seeking. :D
    Love ya xxxxx
  • Options
    I rarely cry, and I honestly can't even remember when I last did.

There are several times when I have cried in my life:
    - watching E.T. aged 6.
    - parents divorce (a lot) aged 10.
    - when I was drunk and "nobody liked me" aged 13.

Emotions are for the weak.
  • Options
    Originally posted by captain kirk

One of the last things my grandad told me before dropping dead, very wise words.
  • Options
    Originally posted by captain kirk

Have to disagree I'm afraid.

I dont see myself as weak just because I'm not afraid to cry when I feel like it. Certainly its helped me feel better about things in the past. Maybe I am looked down upon by some people because of it, but I'm not too bothered. It's just part of my personality, just as many people accept it as don't.
  • Options
    I disagree!!! Emotions aren't just for the weak - everyone has emotions some are just better at hiding them! But that comment is the answer (in my opinion) to the whole topic, boys think emotions are for the weak, and girls think the opposite, girls like to see lads cry, it shows they have a sensitive side!!!!
    Love ya xxxxxxx
  • Options
    There are however, some exceptions to my theory. See above. :D:D
    Love ya xxxxx
  • Options
    When i am drunk amd me and my girlfriend argue i used to end up crying, but thats only infront of her i couldn't do it in public i would find it embaressing maybe? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Penny Lane
    I disagree!!! Emotions aren't just for the weak - everyone has emotions some are just better at hiding them!

Its not a matter of hiding them, emotions are a hinderence, they cloud your ability to think straight. When I say i don't cry, I'm not bottling anything up, I'm not hiding anything, I just deal with the situation differently.

The more emotinal a person is the chances are they are unable to deal with things as well.
  • Options
    When you say emotions are weak - do you mean purely negative ones? When you get excited at the football, elated when you pass exams - you're being weak?
    Being around someone who is constantly crying is shite, but really, what is the point of doing anything if you don't feel things?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miss Quoted
    When you say emotions are weak - do you mean purely negative ones? When you get excited at the football, elated when you pass exams - you're being weak?
    Being around someone who is constantly crying is shite, but really, what is the point of doing anything if you don't feel things?

Because in theory you get them done better, getting excited watching football is all very well, but as I found to my cost this year the more you build something up, the greater the fall. The best line is a nice neutral one, straight down the middle where you can control both positive and negative emotions.
  • Options
    PJ from big brother cried last night when he saw the tape from his family, i hace to admit, i did think he was a pussy!!
  • Options
    only when lost someone dear...

if i really, really get hurt or if i lose someone dear to me i will cry. Thta seems all though, i seem to have an inability to cry, even when i want to.
  • Options
    PJ from big brother cried last night when he saw the tape from his family, i hace to admit, i did think he was a pussy!!

Disagree entirely, I thought it was lovely to see a bloke cry. I can't think of a better way to put it- it sounds like I take joy from others suffering! But nah, it was nice, motherly protective streak coming through!!

I just thought it was awful when he tried to stop because his mates would think he was a prick. That's where this 'blokes can't cry' thing comes from and its a load of shite!!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    This thread is really old, but made me smile - have had a few chats about crying and emotions lately - just wondered what you guys think 13 years later? I'm sending some retrospective love to Bri-namite ;)