Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dying hair red

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I haven't dyed my hair for about 6 years, it's light brown but I want to go red! I've spoken to loads of people who know me who all said I should do it and I definately want to, but not sure what the best way is to go about it? I've had my hair coloured in salons before and have NEVER enjoyed the result; each time it has not been the colour I wanted and in fact several times I spent around £90 to get my hair coloured in a salon and you couldn't even notice it had been dyed! So I'm thinking of getting one off the shelf in boots or superdrug, and getting a friend to do it or even doing it myself. I'm due a haircut though and I always go to Toni & Guy, so not sure whether I should get it coloured there. I don't want to pay loads and not get the result I want, but I'm scared to do it myself incase it goes wrong! I want a wash out one but scared that it will run in the rain so thinking permanent would be better? Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Schwarzkopf Live Colour XXL - i use it all the time, costs about a fiver and the colour is always brilliant, cant go wrong
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Schwarzkopf Live Colour XXL - i use it all the time, costs about a fiver and the colour is always brilliant, cant go wrong

I've heard thats really good my friend used it but the platinum colour and it turned out really well. I'm planning on using Schwarzkopf for dying my hair red when I finish school :D Let us know how it goes (:
  • Options
    I've been dying my hair red for a while :) Well browny red since my hair is darkish. I like the XXL one mentioned above, but mostly use L'Oreal Feria I think its called. Mostly because I don't mind the colour it turns when the red has faded, so can go longer between dying :)
  • Options
    ditto for shwarzkopf xxl
  • Options
    When I dyed my hair red with Schwarzkopf it went almost black.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    When I dyed my hair red with Schwarzkopf it went almost black.

did you leave it on to long? my friend dyed her hair brown... but it went black.. ^_^
  • Options
    No, I only left it on for twenty minutes.
  • Options
    I usually use the Schwarzkopf one too but Toni and Guy did my hair before and I really liked for it came out, let me find a pic for you.
  • Options
    I would get it done at a salon if u want to notice it go for permanent all over, if u want a wash in wash out u won't get much vibrancy.
    My friend is a hairdresser she does mine forme i have 2 colours mixed together people are always asking me who does my hair :d
    Attachment not found. x
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »

When I use to do this hair, I use this, best I've come across.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    When I use to do this hair, I use this, best I've come across.

I use this one too- either this or the L'oreal Feria one, both the purple colours are brilliant!
  • Options
    I almost bought the schwarzopf one earlier today but when I read the label it said that if you have tattoos you are at a great risk of having a reaction to it, and I have recently had a tattoo done so I'm not sure it's such a good idea? Or would I be ok if I did a patch test first?
  • Options
    U must always do a patch test regardless if u have tattoos or not , and if u go to a reputable salon they would by law have to do a skin test prior to u having a colour there as well, the reactions people have are not pretty.
    Goodluck make sure u post a pic when u have done it x
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    I would get it done at a salon if u want to notice it go for permanent all over, if u want a wash in wash out u won't get much vibrancy.
    My friend is a hairdresser she does mine forme i have 2 colours mixed together people are always asking me who does my hair :d
    Attachment not found. x

your hair is a gorgeous colour :) how often dya have to have it redone at the hairdressers if you dont mind me asking? does it fade really quickly?
  • Options
    your hair is a gorgeous colour :) how often dya have to have it redone at the hairdressers if you dont mind me asking? does it fade really quickly?
    Hiya i get my colour roots done every 7 weeks then she combs it throu to the ends for the last 5 or 10 mins, because i have had it like this for a few years it does'nt fade like it used to, but if it does i use a hot shotz colour refresher on it in between colours, which she gets me from the hairdressers wholesalers :d x