Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Downloading movies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What programme do you guys use to download movies?

I've recently got a new laptop so I'm not sure what programmes to download. I never really got into downloading movies in the past so don't know where to start!

I want to use a free programme ideally

Also any advice on which files to choose would be good - the last time I downloaded stuff was in the days of Napster and I ended up killing off a couple of laptops with the amount of viruses I got!

Thanks

x

Comments

• Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    What programme do you guys use to download movies?

I've recently got a new laptop so I'm not sure what programmes to download. I never really got into downloading movies in the past so don't know where to start!

I want to use a free programme ideally

Also any advice on which files to choose would be good - the last time I downloaded stuff was in the days of Napster and I ended up killing off a couple of laptops with the amount of viruses I got!

Thanks

x

Ommmmm, downloading movies is naughty :p
  • Options
    I think you need to find some kick ass torrents ;)
  • Options
    i use a programme called zultrax

give it time and it works, but it can be very tempermental
  • Options
    for downloading I would recommend a program called utorrent and fine a good torrent site.

Obviously there is plenty of "legal" and "free" material out there on torrents, good speeds and generally reliable.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Obviously there is plenty of "legal" and "free" material out there on torrents, good speeds and generally reliable.

Is there.....? ;)

Seriously though, if you're looking to download movies the only real way to do it nowadays is through a torrent site. Be aware though that torrent programmes automatically upload whatever you download meaning you fall foul of copyright laws and stand a chance of being prosecuted.

Why not just buy/rent a movie instead....
  • Options
    As mentioned above, utorrent is good, you can get it from downloads.com, that's a trusted site, once it's installed you then have to go somewhere like btjunkie for your films but ONLY get the ones with good comments, if they're fake on there people will say.. :)
  • Options
    How the hell did you get virii on Napster? That was an MP3-only P2P program. Sure, you could get EXEs from Limewire, Kazaa, Bearshare and suchlike, but not on Napster.

Nowadays, it's all about .torrent files. Use the portable version of uTorrent from portableapps.com and use www.isohunt.com for searching the .torrent header files. There's plenty of legal stuff on there. Personally, I download .torrents for music that I already own on tape, then it saves me from having to record the tape into the computer.
  • Options
    Using a torrent client is as legal using a web browser, one fetches content using the BitTorrent network protocol and the other fetches content using the HTTP network protocol. Accessing content without being authorised by the copyright holder is a civil offence regardless of the method.
  • Options
    I use BitComet via ISOHunt. For free, distributable, copyright-free content of course. Hello lawyers :wave:
  • Options
    I use forums, download manager of choice is Orbit. Torrents aren't really worth the time for me, too slow for what I'm used to downloading at. If I use torrents though, I used TPB, ISOHunt, MiniNova. Use BitTorrent as my client.