Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self confidence and friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have low self confidence and few friends. I want to make more but find it hard to talk to people because of my low self confidence and lack of social skills. Even when I do talk to someone or someone talks to me I find it hard to think of anything to say.

Basically I need to develop my social skills and confidence somehow before I go off to uni next year so I don't end up in the same position again. Somewhere different to meet new people other than college would be nice aswell, but i'm not 18 and don't have a fake ID so cant do clubs and pubs :no:

Any suggestions? Or advice from anyone whose been in a similar situation?

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Jon, welcome to TheSite :wave:

I'm going to move this thread to relationships as it's about making friends and might get a little lost in here.

Are you in sixth form at the moment? What's it like - do you have anyone you see as a friend that you hang out with from time to time?

Have you noticed where other people go to hang out? Like maybe bowling alleys, cinemas, shopping malls etc? Another option is getting a part-time job - can be a great way to meet new people around your age and learn new life skills.

It's great you're looking to boost your confidence and meet new people and often uni is a good opportunity to start afresh. Having said that, the experiences you have in the lead up can make a real difference to how you feel when you get there.

TheSite.org's articles on making new friends might be a good place to start - http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/familyandfriends/friendships/makingnewfriends

Be good to hear more about your experiences...
  • Options
    Thanks for moving it, thinking about it relationships is where it should be.

Yes Im in upper sixth and I do have a few friends I see sometimes. Not really sure where other people hang out, theres the odd cafe a few people go to but id find it hard to go and talk to any of them. I do have the odd conversation with people in my class which is nice.

Thanks for the part time job idea I might give it a try, it is hard to get jobs at the moment though and I dont know where I would look.

Im hoping to start afresh at uni but I want to try and build my social skills and confidence before then.

Thanks for the article link, I have read it before but I wouldnt mind re-reading.

Thanks for replying to the thread aswell :)
  • Options
    hey there! I feel exactly the same as you so I can understand how hard you find it to make conversation with people! not got a lot of advice because if I did I wouldn't be feeling like i do but sending you some hugs and keep us updated how you get on :-)
  • Options
    Closing this now as it's an old thread :)
This discussion has been closed.