Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Working through Pregnancy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi I don't have a midwife yet, or anyone I can really ask but basically what should I not be doing at work. I work in a clothes shop and I process deliveries etc. I am currently 6 weeks pregnant. Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Options
    lifting heavy things generally.

However you have the right to and you should ask your employer to carry out a risk assessment of what you can and can't do whilst pregnant and if neccessary I think they are supposed to make reasonable adjustments to your job.
  • Options
    Well I did say about it and I was told it wasn't neccessary until I was bigger.
  • Options
    This is the leaflet you'll probably get from your midwife: www.berr.gov.uk/files/file34285.pdf

There's also a section for your employer, which outlines their responsibilities to you (not that mine paid the slightest bit of attention!).

Like Wyetry says, it's stuff like heavy lifting, and also if you do any cleaning as part of your job, you may need to check the products to make sure they're safe. Stuff like that.
  • Options
    Lollieee wrote: »
    Well I did say about it and I was told it wasn't neccessary until I was bigger.

Hum I am pretty sure that lifting heavy stuff at any stage in your pregnancy can affect your unborn child, in particular during the first 12 weeks when miscarriage is more common. Having said that its also a bit of a fate thing weather you have a miscarrage or not but if you have any bleeding the general advice is to put your feet up and rest.
  • Options
    as i understood it the day u tell your employer they have a duty to do a risk assessment to ensure they are protecting u . heavy lifting would definantly count as risk, as would ladders or any sort of working at height. we were also told that pregnant women shouldn't mop the floor coz of the risk of slipping over but i guess each company is different! I think your breaks and stuff become more important too. not sure. This link has some helpful stuff.

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/library/a67023_3.PDF