Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Need some advice please. Depression/anxiety.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I think that I’m suffering from depression and maybe social anxiety. I feel really down all the time and I get bouts of complete despair and self loathing. I really can't remember a time when I actually felt happy and I've lost intrest in basically everything, everything is a struggle. I’ve been to the doctors but I was too scared to go alone as I’m really bad at speaking to people, I never know what words to use, so I asked my mum to come with me to help like get me started, if that makes sense. Big mistake. She completely took over and dictated everything, we had agreed before that she would leave after a few minutes when the doctor started asking me questions, but she never left. I was to scared to ask her to leave, and to scared to tell the doctor how bad I really was with her there so I just went along with what she was saying which wasn’t really how I felt. I know it was stupid and I should have spoken up but I didn’t. The doctor said, based on what my mum had told him, that he wouldn’t give me antidepressants but that he would get me an appointment with a counsellor, which is good, but it’s been like 10 weeks since I went to the doctors and I haven’t even been contacted about the date and time of my first appointment. I dint get a diagnoses either. He didn’t even mention anything like "oh yes it sound like your suffering from depression". (In my head that was a bad impression of my doctor btw)

Does anyone know how I would go about getting diagnosed, is it GPs that do it or would I have to wait till I finally get an appointment with the counsellor? I dont know what to do, I really need help.

I’ve been really bad lately and besides all the emotional problems its causing I think its stopping me from getting to sleep and being able to concentrate and making me act and think slower than normal. I’m struggling to keep up with my college work even though that’s basically all I do. I’m in college 3 days a week and when I’m not in I get up and have lunch cus by the time I finally manage to get out of bed it’s like 12 already and then I do college work, and I don’t stop till dinner time and then after dinner I go back and do more work. I work as fast as I can but I’ve still fallen behind.

So I’ve set up a meeting with my lead tutor for tomorrow but I don’t know what to say? Like I said I’m really not good at talking to people especially people who are older than me and in like authority you know I start trembling and feeling like I’m going to be sick. I can’t say that I’ve been diagnosed with depression as I haven’t.

So I guess I’m hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on what to say or how to stop myself getting so anxious?

Comments

• Options
    Ok so I think that I’m suffering from depression and maybe social anxiety. I feel really down all the time and I get bouts of complete despair and self loathing. I really can't remember a time when I actually felt happy and I've lost intrest in basically everything, everything is a struggle. I’ve been to the doctors but I was too scared to go alone as I’m really bad at speaking to people, I never know what words to use, so I asked my mum to come with me to help like get me started, if that makes sense. Big mistake. She completely took over and dictated everything, we had agreed before that she would leave after a few minutes when the doctor started asking me questions, but she never left. I was to scared to ask her to leave, and to scared to tell the doctor how bad I really was with her there so I just went along with what she was saying which wasn’t really how I felt. I know it was stupid and I should have spoken up but I didn’t. The doctor said, based on what my mum had told him, that he wouldn’t give me antidepressants but that he would get me an appointment with a counsellor, which is good, but it’s been like 10 weeks since I went to the doctors and I haven’t even been contacted about the date and time of my first appointment. I dint get a diagnoses either. He didn’t even mention anything like "oh yes it sound like your suffering from depression". (In my head that was a bad impression of my doctor btw)

Does anyone know how I would go about getting diagnosed, is it GPs that do it or would I have to wait till I finally get an appointment with the counsellor? I dont know what to do, I really need help.

I’ve been really bad lately and besides all the emotional problems its causing I think its stopping me from getting to sleep and being able to concentrate and making me act and think slower than normal. I’m struggling to keep up with my college work even though that’s basically all I do. I’m in college 3 days a week and when I’m not in I get up and have lunch cus by the time I finally manage to get out of bed it’s like 12 already and then I do college work, and I don’t stop till dinner time and then after dinner I go back and do more work. I work as fast as I can but I’ve still fallen behind.

So I’ve set up a meeting with my lead tutor for tomorrow but I don’t know what to say? Like I said I’m really not good at talking to people especially people who are older than me and in like authority you know I start trembling and feeling like I’m going to be sick. I can’t say that I’ve been diagnosed with depression as I haven’t.

So I guess I’m hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on what to say or how to stop myself getting so anxious?

I went through this exact same thing when I was 15 after my dad died and was referred to a counsellor. Because of my age, I wasn't put on pills either. I can't remember how long it took to actually get an appointment but once I did, it was the best thing ever. I went from being unable to make a decision for myself without running it past my counsellor to actually forgetting to go for my last appointment six months later cause I was so much better! I was never told I had 'depression' either but it was said without being said, if you know what I mean.

I would perhaps arrange another appointment with your doctor on your own (it won't be as scary as you think) and just ask when you can expect a referral. 10 weeks is a long time to have had to wait and there's no harm in just asking when you can expect to be seen because at that moment, you're not receiving any treatment and you should be.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Hi there Dixierebels :wave:

As already said it would be a good idea to make another appointment to see your doctor. Based on what you've said they don't have a true idea of how you're feeling and so may be able to prioritise your referral differently if they have all the information.

I understand you may find it difficult to talk about everything but your doctor will be used to people being nervous etc so just explain to them.

In the mean time have you had a look at the site's section on depression.

Let us know what you decide,

dp :heart:
  • Options
    You said your not really good at talking to people about your situation, could you write a note to give to them instead of talking, or write what you want to say and have that there to guid you?

Also give the doctor another call, they're there to help :)
    I hope you find the help your looking for and feel better soon..
    *hug*
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for all the advice.:)
    Bleepy, the idea to write things down was great, Thank you. I also printed out what I posted on here.

So I thought I would let you know how I got on incase youre interested, although Id be really suprised if you were.

I phoned to schedule another appointment at the doctors but they have nothing for over a almost a fortnight (we only have one small doctors surgery with about 7 doctors for three whole communities/ neighbourhoods to share, its ridiculous ) However I was told if I phone before 9 on tuesday morning and I should be able to get an emergency appointment with my doctor... heres hoping.

My meeting started really badly, I had to go to a room that I had never been to before and that really got me panicking. The room was tiny and by the time I had squeezed my self in with my 2 heavy bags and my big A1art folder and the meeting had actually started I was shaking so badly I couldnt get my papers out of my bag, my tutor had to do it for me. :blush: Im really glad I went though she was really nice and sympathetic. She offered to get me extensions if I need them around christmas, our first big deadline is the second week we go back. Last year I nearly had an anurism (sp?) I was up til after one in the morning every night working and I was having to pull all nighters like twice a week.

Anyway, sorry got off topic. She got me the numbers of a free organisation that gives counceling to people in my area but my sister tried to get an appointment with them once and there waiting list was over 3 months long.
  • Options
    I glad that helped and well done for calling the doctors and your meeting :)
    Still try give them a call because maybe when your sister rang they were having a really busy period, it may have calmed down now.
    Good luck with your deadlines and I hope everything starts to get better :)