Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Breastfeeding in Public

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I know this is like a kinda health issue thing but I wanted to post this here - what are your opinions on breastfeeding in public?

A cousin of mine and I were in the park a few weeks ago and she was breastfeeding in a very discrete manner, you couldn't even see her breast, and a man walking past snorted and said 'I think its disgraceful you shouldn't be doing that sort of thing, disgusting' and we were also given a few evil looks by people walking on.

I was quite surprised at this. I thought the general consensus was that breastfeeding in public is ok, but I was mistaken in this case. I mean, the baby has to eat and it wasn't like she stuck her boob out saying 'Hey everyone have a look! I remember that thread recently on going topless in public and this kinda sparked it off for me. Is it really that offensive to have a woman feed her child, or should it be done behind closed doors so to speak?

I was also wondering if anyone has had these sort of reactions? Or was it ok?

:)

Comments

• Options
    Never really bothered me to be honest..I thought it was pretty much standard proceedure.
  • Options
    If a baby needs feeding it needs feeding...i have no idea why some ignorant people believe babies should wait till their in their own homes before being fed :rolleyes:

Its like saying grown children/adults cant eat in public...
  • Options
    your cousi n must have been unlucky enouhg to be breastfeeding at the exact same timas fuckwit of the year was walking past. My mother fed me in public and i think it is a purley natural instinct. no problems here. i can't believe that bloke was so insensitive...sure, he can have his opinions, but not infringe them on somone else in such an awful fashion.
  • Options
    its pathetic isnt it. what would he rather, a screaming hungry baby or a contented baby feeding discreetly? i breastfed my baby when and wherever he was hungry, and if that was in a public place, then so be it. luckily i never had anyone comment, but im sure I would have ignored them anyway.
  • Options
    Don't bother me in the slightest, though i think there should be more mother and baby type rooms for women who wish to do so in private.
  • Options
    its one of those things the older generation are against isnt it? Its just natural id have no problems with it
  • Options
    In the U.S., sometimes this argument comes up.

It's quite sad that we have come to a point where breastfeeding a baby in public could be deemed a controversial issue.
  • Options
    yea but its not like the mother can be prosecuted....is it?:confused:
  • Options
    Only if she's jiggling the baby on her boob about or something, and the police think she is upsetting public decency. Something that'll never happen, although I've read about cases in the USA, particularly in the South.

I'm personally not bothered about it, it's not exactly unnatural, and no worse than seeing a woman get her boobs out on a beach.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

When a state, I think it was Ohio (don't quote me on that though), was going to pass a pro-breastfeeding legislation or something in the other, a response given by some Republicans was that breastfeeding in public is as offensive as pissing in the street.

Someone told the news, “Women who choose to breastfeed should be treated as people who choose to smoke and put in a designated area.”

There are some stupid arguments here, but fortunately they don't come up often. Some of them are like, "what message does this send children," "a breast with a baby latched on is no different than a breast without one," and that nursing a baby in public is a form of "exhibitionism."

Breastfeeding is not harmful to minors, it is not indecent, it is not lewd, and it is not obscene in anyway.

It’s insane that someone will feel offended by seeing a woman feed her child.

A couple of weeks, if not months ago, an airline removed a painting of a woman nursing from its airport because some thought it was obscene.

Luckily there are no state laws in the U.S. prohibiting nursing in public, although there have been times that authorities have acted like there were.

Although it has always been legal to breastfeed in public, states have passed statutes to further enforce the idea that it is indeed okay.

From what I've seen though, most people couldn't care less if a woman wished to nurse in front of them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken

It happened here, a woman was arrested for breastfeeding a baby in her car. There was a public outcry and it was deemed false arrest.

I used to do it all the time, no one ever noticed. People who have a problem with it should mind their own business.

This is definately one topic where I do believe that American culture has fallen behind in, that and having a baby at home. It is illegal to have a doctor or midwife come to your house to deliver a baby in my state. The doctor or midwife could loose their license to practice medicine.
  • Options
    Of course there's nothing wrong with it. If the mother chooses to feed her child naturally instead of with a bottle then that's her decision and nobody else has the right to say otherwise.

Not sure if the majority of women would like to have their boob stared at by passers by no matter how 'descreet' they are but if they don't give a damn then ce la vie, people need to deal with it.
  • Options
    Breastfeeding is so much better for babies than bottlefeeding, its outrageous that places dont actively encourage it and try and treat it as if its some kind of dirty act.
    Why on earth places would discourage people giving their babies the best start in life and try to encourage them to feed their babies milk from another animal. which is well known to increase the risk of lots of health problems.
  • Options
    I agree with rainbow, i cant believe anybody can think that naturally feeding your baby is offensive? Why do people want to encourage the use of man made unnatural milk, when breast milk is so much better for the baby and the mother?

...and I can't believe that thing about people being arested for it?? :eek: ...what is this world coming to....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    *thinks it rude only when a taste is not offered to others* :rolleyes:

{Meant to be taken as humour - levity to lighten the moment :p }
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thanatos...AGAIN

{Meant to be taken as humour - levity to lighten the moment :p }

He he..:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thanatos...AGAIN

only if you take your teeth out first:p
  • Options
    It’s a totally natural function like taking a dump; I just would rather not see anyone doing either.

Most large shops, supermarkets, airports etc now provide facilities for mothers to breastfeed their children, which is something that should be applauded.

Paul
  • Options
    If you don’t want to see it, don’t look.

A woman shouldn’t feel compelled to go into any room just to nurse. It is nice some places are providing such rooms, but the mother should feel under any obligation to go there.

Breastfeeding in public is not comparable to relieving one’s self in public. While with one, it is perfectly understandable why a person may be offending by it, since it is unsanitary, the other isn’t.
  • Options
    The women I have seen breastfeeding in public have been rather discreet. They are not putting on a show they are doing something so wonderfully natural and beautiful! Some women prefer a private room or area to breast feed. I think whatever a mother feels comfortable with is fine by me.

I really hate prudes and intolerant fools!
  • Options
    I think it's perfectley ok to breastfeed in public. The mother is not disturbing anybody, but if the baby was unfed it would cry and then would be disturbing people. I think it is typical that a man objected, they would possibly have less understanding of what a baby needs and when because they would never have carried a baby and had the need to breastfeed in public.

As for it being against the law to breastfeed in certain American states, have you SEEN some of the other laws that are passed? Take no notice!!
  • Options
    Apparently, there once some guy who lodged a complaint in a shop because he found it offensive that a woman was breastfeeding there. It turned out she had turned her chair to face the wall, was wearing a large coat so nobody could see anything and was generally being very discreet about the whole thing. To top it all off, this was in Mothercare.

I think a lot of men believe that breasts are not for babies - they should be put back where they belong, on the top shelf of magazine racks!
  • Options
    I have no problem with anybody breast feeding in public but please don't defend the point with meaningless drivel - it only derides from your case.

Sure breast feeding is a natural act but so too is defaecating (as mentioned above) and indeed murder.

When will people realize that there is no link between something being 'natural' and something being morally justifiable?

(P.S. Defining what is natural is a purely subjective task in itself. The genuine distinction between natural and cultural behaviour is (to all extents and purposes) impossible.)
  • Options
    I breast fed in public and was only ever made to feel uncomfortable about it once, by an older man who felt I should be locked up. :rolleyes: I was always discreet and I've seen girls out clubbing showing more cleavage than I showed. My baby was hungry, and he needed feeding. That was the bottom line as far as I was concerned.

Breastfeeding is one of the most natural things in the world and the best form of nutrition for a baby. There are pumps that are supposed to make expressing milk easy, but it can take up to half an hour just to get 4ounces of milk out. What new mother has the time to to that? Also a breast fed baby needs time to adjust to a bottle, I did express a few times, so that Billy could be fed when I was out, but he didn't take to the bottle very easily and on a number of occasions I had to give up and put him on my breast. I think his crying was probably more disturbing than my boob being less than totally covered.

I do feel that anyone who finds it "disgusting" can only see mammary glands as sexual and not functional. Which is a shame.

The Brits make me laugh really. We go on holiday, strip off and spend the day light hours topless on a beach. I hear very few people complain about that. However, many people still find the idea of a mother feeding her baby, in the way nature intended, uncomfortable.
  • Options
    You have to laugh though. The ones often whinging about a discreet breast feed are middle aged men who have no problem getting a limp semi-on over page three on the bus.

Discreet breastfeeding really shouldn't be a problem. I fed my son and nobody even realised, in many places. I can understand them objecting if I'd then popped him on the table in mcdonalds and proceeded to change his nappy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fifi La Drools
    I can understand them objecting if I'd then popped him on the table in mcdonalds and proceeded to change his nappy.

McDonalds wouldn't... they'd probably just put it in the next batch of burgers.

(The shit, not the baby :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way

McDonalds wouldn't... they'd probably just put it in the next batch of burgers.

(The shit, not the baby :rolleyes: )

Tragically, there's a hint of truth in what you say. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by snowdance
    Sure breast feeding is a natural act but so too is defaecating (as mentioned above) and indeed murder.

I wouldn't class murder as a natural act.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fifi La Drools
    You have to laugh though. The ones often whinging about a discreet breast feed are middle aged men who have no problem getting a limp semi-on over page three on the bus.

Discreet breastfeeding really shouldn't be a problem. I fed my son and nobody even realised, in many places. I can understand them objecting if I'd then popped him on the table in mcdonalds and proceeded to change his nappy.

LOL Ive seen people doing that and nobody from the restaurant said a word!

It is usually older men who have a problem with people breatfeeding.I fed all 3 of mine for a while and fed them in front of other people.

Just becuase Its a natural act you cant compare it with defecating and call it offensive Im sorry.IF someone is defecating there is a sight and a smell that nake it offensive.
    There is nowt to see when feeding( rugrat is so busy munching away its head coveres everything anyway)
    and there is no sound , no mess and no smell.

If its similar to defecating would you be willing to place your meal on the seat of a restaurant toilet and eat there? I expect not so why should babies be expected to go in the loo/changing room etc to eat theirs?

I was in a cafe when id just had my eldest and I started feeding her, an elderly gentleman came over and I thought Oh nooo hes gonna tell me to stop but instead he said its lovely to see mothers putting their childrens needs first and using them for what god intended.

How relieved was I!!!?? I only wish more people shared his attitude!
  • Options
    My daughterinlaw was breast feeding one of my grandchildren in the checkout line at Walmart when the islamic checker became agitated and down right offensive...started throwint our groceries and merchandise into boxes too large to life..dirty looks and REALLY agitated towards her;

To the point that I had to step up and ask him what the hell the problem was...order him away from my merchandise and get a store manager to step in and replace him...he was later fired for his conduct.

Babies have to eat...someone doesn't like it...tough, don't watch!

I was really angered by the above incident because the young lady was being discrete and it is no big deal here in Seattle, WA, USA...and I can't think of anywhere where it would be.

As for acomodating someone else's cultural differences...I don't give a fart in a windstorm about whether the fellow was offended or not...he is here by choise and the notion of acomodating 'his' phobias about breast feeding is truly offensive.

:cool: